Is a Dualshock 4 suitable for retro games when used wireless

Emu Talk Goes Here
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Is a Dualshock 4 suitable for retro games when used wireless

Post by SuperDerpBro »

I am trying to find the best single "all around" controller for emulation of multiple consoles. I currently use a wired 360 controller paired with a iBuffalo "SNES" pad. I would very much prefer wireless and that has brought me to the Dualshock 4 (or Hori PS4/3 FPS PLUS) using something like DS4Windows to make it appear as an xinput device to my PC. When i google i get lots of people talking about lag, lots of people talking about no lag, and people saying it has more lag in wired mode..... DS4Windows actually tells you the input latency between the controller and the PC but there is some confusion as to weather that includes controller to bluetooth device plus encoding to xinput or just controller to bluetooth device with the encoding to xinput time being unknown. If that makes any sense. lol. Most emulators have some input lag already. I mostly use Retroarch with settings for minimum lag. I can deal with the amount of lag i get but i really don't want to add any more.

Does anyone have any experience using a wireless DS4 for retro games? Failing that do you have any other recommendations on controllers (with analog sticks) that have very good d-pads? Wired or not. Preferably xinput.

Child owned from a INTERNET GAS filled home.
Sano
Next-Gen

Re: Is a Dualshock 4 suitable for retro games when used wire

Post by Sano »

I personally use a Saitek P2900 Wireless for emulators. I think I paid $30 for it WAY back in the day. It works great still, but it does use RF as bluetooth didn't exist when I got it.
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

No offence but that looks like a mcdonalds toy haha. Glad it works for you but i don't wana risk it :D
Sano
Next-Gen

Post by Sano »

Well I never... how rude.

But yeah, a PS4 controller works well on the PC... at least with the experiences I've had. I've used it with ZSNES and Cassini successfully ^_^
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Post by SamuraiMegas »

They have adapters for console controllers ->pc so you could use a GameCube controller for gamecibr, saturn pad for saturn, etx
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

@Sano: haha :D

@SamuraiMegas: Looking for one that does it all. Sick of all the fussing around. Almost any dual analog controllers can do the majority of systems. 360 is near perfect other than the SHIT d-pad. I am just going to go on an epic quest to find an xinput controller with a very good d-pad i guess. :mrgreen: