x68000x help

Emu Talk Goes Here
Anayo
Next-Gen

x68000x help

Post by Anayo »

I installed a Sharp X68000 emulator on my original XBOX, but I can't figure out how to get it to boot games. My attempt to do so goes something like this:

launch x68000x -> select game -> akumajou dracula A button -> (screen blinks, then takes me back to game select screen)

akumajou dracula X button -> (screen blinks, then takes me to "game configuration screen" where I can configure what I want in disk drives A and B, the hard drive, the CPU speed, etc.)

Sorry if this is a really dumb question, I've tried researching this already but nothing I found really helped.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: x68000x help

Post by Jagosaurus »

I really enjoy DOSbox & it's on my list to get more into Atari 8 bit, Atari ST, X68000, & MSX emulation this year. I was pretty excited when I saw several retro PCs were on oXbox but at that time I also saw several threads saying how they (including DOSbox) were cumbersome to get games running. Those posts were on a dead forum, xbox scene IIRC.

I then ran across some videos of how easy Atari ST emu was on PC and decided it'd just be better to emulate retro PCs on a PC. No KBM option on oXbox is a bummer for getting games up. Most of the games were developed around controlling with a KBM as well. I imagine controls will be an issue on most games.

Let me know if you get it running & it's easier than I anticipated. It's a cool novelty and I have my oXbox running everything from Atari 2600 through PS1 & MAME. It'd be cool to add retro PCS to that 8)

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Anayo
Next-Gen

Post by Anayo »

Let me know if you get it running & it's easier than I anticipated. It's a cool novelty and I have my oXbox running everything from Atari 2600 through PS1 & MAME. It'd be cool to add retro PCS to that

I got it working... sort of. I couldn't get games to load because I'm stupid at FTP. Basically some file transfers failed when I loaded the emulator and ROM's onto my XBOX. I didn't pay attention to that and assumed all the necessary files loaded.

I've literally never used FTP before picking up an original XBOX at Goodwill. I've been spoiled by today's plug-and-play technology like USB.

I really enjoy DOSbox & it's on my list to get more into Atari 8 bit, Atari ST, X68000, & MSX emulation this year. I was pretty excited when I saw several retro PCs were on oXbox but at that time I also saw several threads saying how they (including DOSbox) were cumbersome to get games running. Those posts were on a dead forum, xbox scene IIRC.

I then ran across some videos of how easy Atari ST emu was on PC and decided it'd just be better to emulate retro PCs on a PC. No KBM option on oXbox is a bummer for getting games up. Most of the games were developed around controlling with a KBM as well. I imagine controls will be an issue on most games.

My Dad's 386 IBM compatible was the first gaming platform I ever played, so my nostalgia for those is off the charts. I'd rather emulate on DosBox than hunt down original hardware, but it still feels unnatural to me unless I'm playing with a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. A consolized DosBox probably wouldn't appeal to me very much.

X68000, which I didn't grow up with, appeals to me more cause it's super reminiscent of Sega Genesis, which I did grow up with and was a major part of my childhood. That's why I was trying to get it working in console form, like on a softmodded XBOX.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

When using FTP on oXbox, there's a character limit. It makes it interesting when try to move over full ROM sets. That's why there are full oXbox NES ROM sets, etc. The files have been named to ensure they are under the character limit. It is 43 IIRC. That sounds large but many file names have full title, sequel info, sub name, region, year, etc. I wish it would just clip it at the 43 max, but instead it just rejects it. I moved over a standard Genesis ROM set & had to rename 10+ games files.

Ahhh gotcha @ X68000 libray being console like. So you got games running or the main OS? If they're platformers, etc I'd like to experience it with a controller also. Most DOS games on the other hand are KBM oriented. Getting controllers to work with DOSbox is doable but something I haven't dove into yet.

You have me more interested! :)

Anayo
Next-Gen

Post by Anayo »

OK, I got it working for real.

It's mostly drag and drop over FTP. The only obstacles were my own stupidity and some counter-intuitive interface choices in the emulator. If I could write a guide to my past self it would go something like this:

1 Make sure everything copies correctly over FTP. It's not as simple as USB.

2) The games need to load. So if you start a game and the screen is blank while music plays, it's not broken, it's just loading. It just doesn't tell you that. :(

3) The interface for loading floppies into the disk drives/hard drive within the emulator is really counter intuitive. It goes something like this:

While in the game list menu:

A button = loads the selected floppy and boots it up in the x68000 emulator
X button = goes to the menu where you can choose what to load in your two floppy drives (A and B) / hard drive

While in the menu where you can choose what to load in your floppy drives / hard drive:

A button = takes you to the game list menu so you can choose which floppy to load in the drive
B button = launches the X68000 emulator with the floppy drives loaded with whatever you chose

4) Minor Japanese literacy is needed in some cases. If you can't read Japanese you'll need a guide or one of those smartphone apps that translates kanji through your camera or something. For example when you start Akumajou Dracula it asks, "Which sound module do you want to use?" (FM, external midi, etc). "Hard drive corrupted" and "Incorrect disk not inserted! Please insert correct disk." messages are in Japanese too.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Not to necropost, but does anyone have and can share or know of a place to find x68000 roms? I'm trying to play as many versions of the original Ys as possible, and I haven't been able to find this one...
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

marurun

Post by marurun »

Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Man... RB love for Ys never fails 8)

Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:Not to necropost, but does anyone have and can share or know of a place to find x68000 roms? I'm trying to play as many versions of the original Ys as possible, and I haven't been able to find this one...

You running these on PC one of the many other options? ... pi, Android, oXbox, etc?

You have me curious after sleeping on it...

Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Another x68000 collection distro here:
https://archive.org/details/SharpX68000Collection
Also, this one's a bit OT, since it doesn't include Ys (yet), but some guy's taken some of the user unfriendliness out of X68000 game emulation by making single-click game play for several games by packaging the emulator and game, pre-configured on a game-by game basis:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=90976
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage