CD-i emulation

Emu Talk Goes Here
wclem
Next-Gen

CD-i emulation

Post by wclem »

Is there a good and/or recommended emulator out there for the CD-i? I found Zelda Faces of Evil for a buck at the Goodwill today and would love to try it. I was hoping someone with experience emulating CD-i could help me as I do not own the system.

I think I once heard of someone charging for one but would prefer not to pay for an emulator.
dsheinem wrote:In any case, sorry that my avatar makes you cringe these days, but I haven't really changed my posing habits at all.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: CD-i emulation

Post by Tanooki »

MESS does it well enough, but wont' play the DVR (1MB expansion) games right -- run yeah playable not a chance.

Zelda doesn't need it, the FMV games tended to use it.

The other is cdiemu, not updated in 9 years, can't play much for crap and it costs money for something that doesn't work but on few games and saddled with mouse movement which is just weird.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I'm mostly be interested in The Apprentice & Burn Cycle. The novelty of the 3 Zelda titles & Hotel Mario would be worth trying.

Can you run MESS by itself or only as part of MAME?

Here's list of the games that require the digital video card. Luckily Burn Cycle isn't on it :)
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit ... e_digital/

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I didn't think MESS was MAME, thought it was its own build. If it's part of MAME that's a whole lot of trouble right there since they love to make people miserable moving and renaming rom sets and things.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Tanooki wrote:I didn't think MESS was MAME, thought it was its own build. If it's part of MAME that's a whole lot of trouble right there since they love to make people miserable moving and renaming rom sets and things.

Yeah, it's my understanding that MAME now includes MESS and that's what it running the console games within MAME. I'm not expert... you were on my MAME thread. I'm still running it on a 15 years old xbox :D

I might have to give MESS a DL so I can try out The Apprentice & Burn Cycle.

Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Hmm if cancerous MAME gobbled up MESS that's just depressing. I feel sorry for anyone if their ROM name/directory mishandling mucks up that greatness as it would be a tragedy.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Any one have recent luck here? Still been wanting to play... The Apprentice, Burn Cycle, 3 Zelda titles, & Hotel Mario.

Looks like I can run Burn Cycle in DOSbox but I have to install Windows 3.1 inside of it :roll:. Seems like a CDi solution would be easier.

Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Well... surprisingly enough I've ran into some videos of people emulating CDi within MESS.... wait for it.... on oXbox.
Link: https://youtu.be/w73hPx9FUcY

I think that might actually be easier than getting into the MESS/MAME ecosystem so I'm going to dig into it more.

Seems you have to do some tinkering with the file though so I'm still looking at PC solutions outside of MESS.