Arcade ROMS and Different MAME Version

Emu Talk Goes Here
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: Arcade ROMS and Different MAME Version

Post by Tanooki »

That's exactly why I feel lost as to what to do when it came to the Neo Geo stuff and having to use less than optimal choices because primary updated sources use the MAME set.

Those downloads are ugly.

According to the ISO Zone, the 0.185 full MAME set is 121.07GB to get everything so you can use it.

Now knowing that Neo Geo games (despite their consolized flashy mega numbers) run like 4MB up to around 100MB uncompressed outside of a zip file (maybe 85-90MB max compressed.) An arcade system with around 150-155 games between MVS official and some added works (Crossed Swords 2, Ironclad, protos.)

I have no idea what a Neo dump zipped alone would be, but I would not be surprised if it wasn't more than 2-3% of that MAME file at best. No way in hell I'm doing that download.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Aren't there better emulators for Neo Geo than MAME these days, anyway? Neo Geo emulation has always been a relatively simple affair.

One of the nice things about good torrent software is you can sort the file list for the torrent by size, and just by trimming out all the huge CHD files the set shrinks dramatically.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Wowww 127GB. Yeah, while there are a lot of non Neo Geo games I want access to, I should try out dedicated Neo Geo emu.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

The only dedicated one I know of is Final Burn Alpha and MAME snobs seem to think it's crap and doesn't work as well. I can't say I really can notice it, and that's firing it up along side my real cabinet. Within Android, not sure what it's based upon but I think it's FBA there's Neo.EMU from Broglia and it works fantastic too as that's how I can play my big carts on the go.

I have no idea if they're looking at some coding level nuances or whatever, but I don't see, hear, or feel the fault of FBA and Neo.EMU along side the real deal so I don't know if it's a legit case of something or just penis envy as someone else did it better first and didn't get BORG'd into the club of classic MAME assimilation or die stuff.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

FB was the very first CPS2 emu and it ran so great on my old Pentium II. They had it down before MAME ever did.

For NG though, MAME's ok with me, once you get the BIOS stuff sorted out.

I only ever played one game that featured CHDs (the laserdisc game M.A.C.H. 3) and it ran decently enough, but the downloading involved with that....
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

Jagosaurus wrote:Wowww 127GB. Yeah, while there are a lot of non Neo Geo games I want access to, I should try out dedicated Neo Geo emu.

Kawaks and the xbox version, Kawa-x, were my favorite Neo Geo emulators on their respective platforms, but FBA got a lot of love, too. Who knows what's popular these days, though. :lol:
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

JoeAwesome wrote:
Jagosaurus wrote:Wowww 127GB. Yeah, while there are a lot of non Neo Geo games I want access to, I should try out dedicated Neo Geo emu.

Kawaks and the xbox version, Kawa-x, were my favorite Neo Geo emulators on their respective platforms, but FBA got a lot of love, too. Who knows what's popular these days, though. :lol:

Thanks Joe. That'll work. I've tested probably 20 ROMs in MAMEoX and only 2 haven't worked. One of them being Metal Slug 1, although MS 2 & 3 tested fine. Found a Kawa x DL that isn't a full set. Already have 6GB worth so I don't want to duplicate it. DL includes these below 8). Appreciate the tip. Metal Slug 1 is one of my most played arcade games, gotta have it running!

CPS1 games

Forgotten Worlds
Ghouls & Ghosts
Megaman - Power Battles
The Punisher

CPS2 games

Marvel vs Capcom
Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter
Megaman Power Battles 2
Street Fighter Alpha
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix
Super Street 2 The New Challengers
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Xmen vs Street Fighter
Xmen Children Of The Atom

Neo Geo games
Metal Slug 5
King of Fighters 2003
World Heroes 2 Jet

Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Wellll, same boat. Kawak-X doesn't run original Metal Slug files I have. Tried 3 DLs so far. Runs other MS games.

Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Forgot I own the Metal Slug Anthology on PS2 :lol:. Just going to move that over to my PS2 HDD for when I want to boot up the first game versus digging for 10 year old compatible MAME ROMs. All the other Metal Slug games boot fine. Weird.

JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

Jagosaurus wrote:Wellll, same boat. Kawak-X doesn't run original Metal Slug files I have. Tried 3 DLs so far. Runs other MS games.

What kind of errors are you getting? Checksum? I did have to edit some of the newer games (SvC Chaos, SSV) on my PC to work on Kawak-X.