Not all 2600 ROMs Showing Up in OpenEmu / Stella

Emu Talk Goes Here
racketboy
Site Admin

Not all 2600 ROMs Showing Up in OpenEmu / Stella

Post by racketboy »

So I have the 2600 romset from here
https://www.emuparadise.me/Complete_ROM ... n_One_File)_ROMs/Atari_2600_(Good2600_v1.00)/96283-download

Dropped the extracted folder of ROMs into OpenEmu on OS X and a bunch of games show up, but not all -- most of the big name titles don't show.

I even tried removing all of them from OpenEmu and then just dropping the Yars Revenge ROM file in there and it didn't show up.

Any ideas?
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: Not all 2600 ROMs Showing Up in OpenEmu / Stella

Post by Jagosaurus »

Some emus are particular about names. Can't be too long, have characters, etc.

Also, are they all .a26 extension files? If they are .bin, try renaming them to .a26 (or vice versa).

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

They were all 7z files, so I changed Yar's to a26 and it did the trick. Weird how some worked with the 7z extension and others didn't.

Regardless, many thanks!
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

racketboy wrote:They were all 7z files, so I changed Yar's to a26 and it did the trick. Weird how some worked with the 7z extension and others didn't.

Regardless, many thanks!

7z is a zipped file. You can right click "extract here" with 7zip, WinRAR, etc.

Some emus will run zipped files. Most require them to be unzipped/extracted.

There was just a new release of STELLA. Make sure you DLed 4.7.3.

I really dig 7800 emulation but have only scratched the surface of 2600. What controller are you using?

racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Ah yeah I kinda knew about the compression extension, but thought it was weird that they were compressed as a set as well in a RAR. Kinda sucks on the Mac as I don't have as I don't have something like WinRAR installed like I used to on my old Windows machine.

But anyway, I'm just setting this up while I'm at my in-laws. I have a SteelSeries Nimbus and I also ordered a 8Bitdo controller to arrive next week (more travel-friendly), but I see OpenEmu also supports DualShocks, WiiMotes, etc.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

You can often click the .rar file and look inside with the stock machine compression software, but then you often still have 7z files. Good to hear you were just able to rename them. I personally use 7zip. Not sure what free software mac users will recommend.

I am really out of the loop on STELLA, other than seeing the recent release thread on Atari Age. I currently use EMU7800 for both 2600 and 7800. My primary draw is 7800 but I'd be interested to see what STELLA offers over it in the 2600 department.

EMU7800 allows you to easily use the mouse for the 2600 track ball games (such as breakout). It's really intiative. Sure STELLA offers this as well. Use this over a controller or KB IMO. For standard joypad/stick games, I use a KB to reset the console ("R" key) and then my go-to USB controller which is a Buffalo SNES for gameplay.

This works but just feels off for 2600 IMO. I've been looking into one of the supported USB to 2600 devices. They're only 30 bucks and are officially supported by EMU7800 & STELLA.
Link: http://www.2600-daptor.com

I've been wanting to dive deeper into the 2600 library & I'm thinking the adapter & a proper controller will help.

Now on the flip side, I think the Buffalo SNES works AWESOME for 7800, especially the two button games such as Xevious & Ikari Warriors. Real shame we never saw this stateside for the 7800.

There's about a dozen 7800 titles I really enjoy. You just got me to boot up EMU7800 :lol:.

Let me know how the 8bitdo works out. I've been eyeing that recently.

Wish I could escape into games while at my in-laws!!! :D

racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

That's great information -- thanks so much for sharing! Maybe we can team up on some Atari 2600 emulation notes when we're all done :)

We often go to my in-laws for a full weekend, so I often pull out my iPad or MacBook Air for some random email/work. I was actually working on the emulators after most everyone went to bed for the night. But because we're there for awhile, I don't think anyone would mind if I was playing for a bit during the day. My in-laws both enjoyed the 2600 when they were younger (actually they have one of those reproduction systems with built in games hooked up to their living room TV)), so I think they would think it was rather cool anyway ;)
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

racketboy wrote:That's great information -- thanks so much for sharing! Maybe we can team up on some Atari 2600 emulation notes when we're all done :)

We often go to my in-laws for a full weekend, so I often pull out my iPad or MacBook Air for some random email/work. I was actually working on the emulators after most everyone went to bed for the night. But because we're there for awhile, I don't think anyone would mind if I was playing for a bit during the day. My in-laws both enjoyed the 2600 when they were younger (actually they have one of those reproduction systems with built in games hooked up to their living room TV)), so I think they would think it was rather cool anyway ;)

Sounds good man. I'm going to hit a few "best of/defining" list & start there. I used the term trackball above & meant paddle controller. Use the mouse for these.

My only memories of the 2600 are an old dusty console in our church's gameroom. I was the only kid who played it... should have been a sign I'd be into retro later :lol:. I remember Pac man & Combat.

I found out years later the 7800 was more near the NES regarding specs, and I became very interested. It's a very solid library if you're into simple but addicting arcade games. The graphical detail seems to keep my attention a bit better than 2600. I'm actually about to suggest it in the recent gaming with your kid thread due to those factors.

My father in law has a PS2 Slim sitting upstairs & I've debated bringing a FreeMcBoot mem card & a USB with PS2 emus & ROMS. 2 small items to pack & instant retro goodness. Packing a laptop or console would be obvious to Mrs Jago, but I can be sneaky with this :D. Might have to do that next time.