Is the PSP still the best bang for your buck portable emu...

Emu Talk Goes Here
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Is the PSP still the best bang for your buck portable emu...

Post by SuperDerpBro »

...lator?

And if so does it play SNES and GBA FULL speed? I remember not buying one years ago because it only ran them "good enough" heh. I would only be buying it to play NES, GB/C, GBA and some SNES games.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Edit: I really wanted the PSP to work but after doing research i still find a lot of (fairly recent) comments about shit speed on quite a few GBA and SNES games (and other random stuff for NES). So, that leaves me with Android. Problem is its all China stuff. I almost bought a GPD XD but its just way to expensive for what i want to do with it.. and the D-Pad looks as annoying as a DSL pad (hate them). It's also poorly placed IMO. Looked at the q9 but its also to expensive for what i want to do with it and Lon Seidman says the D-pad is crap heh. :/

I guess a cheap refurbished phone with a controller clipped to it would be the "best".. but rather unwieldy hehe
Child owned from a INTERNET GAS filled home.
HayoVR

Re: Is the PSP still the best bang for your buck portable em

Post by HayoVR »

I recently tried running some SNES emulators on my PSP-3004 to see if this got any better in the last few years. Most games still "run ok" with the frameskip on 1 and without vsync, but not ok enough for me. Still hiccups both in speed and the sound.
GBA emulation seems a little better but still not perfect, NES and GB(C) is no problem.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

PSP is fine for NES, Genesis, and GB/GBC. Not so fine for SNES/GBA. SNES, in particular, requires using the correct build of snes9xTYL (mecm version), and even then, you can expect to have to run most games with a frameskip of 1, i.e. 30 fps.

I don't know what the Vita emulation scene looks like right now. I've got to think, what with native Vita hacks through Henkaku, that it can be a good choice if you're willing to go through the steps to mod, not sign it in to PSN, and all that jazz. In fact, I might fiddle a bit with my PSTV and let you know how things work out on that front.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

So, RetroArch with the right cores seemed pretty decent. According to what I read on GBATemp, most games without special chips hit 60 FPS with some occasional dips, whereas stuff like Yoshi's Island is going to have more frame drops. I definitely experienced them while testing. Not sure on other systems.
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

Thanks for taking a look man. I would buy a Vita but i dont think the HB 'scene' will ever get a lot of attention. Barely anyone has a Vita. Guess i will continue wading through the sea of China Junk and see if i can find a gem.
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Post by Hazerd »

PSP still fills my need for portable emu, also dont forget about the PS1 and PSP libraries, you can convert a PS1 ISO to work on the PSP and it runs natively.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

SuperDerpBro wrote:I guess a cheap refurbished phone with a controller clipped to it would be the "best".. but rather unwieldy hehe

A decent Android smartphone and a bluetooth controller is a great solution. But if you don't want to use that, consider a GPD XD.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

Exhuminator wrote:
SuperDerpBro wrote:I guess a cheap refurbished phone with a controller clipped to it would be the "best".. but rather unwieldy hehe

A decent Android smartphone and a bluetooth controller is a great solution. But if you don't want to use that, consider a GPD XD.

XD's Dpad sucks and is in a really dumb spot (for retro games). Refuse to pay money to play 8 and 16 bit games with an analog stick. :P
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I remember almost buying an Xperia Play back in the day. I figure now, you're better off with a Moga controller and a cheap smartphone. Tech's come a long way for sure. Probably better than a Vita, too, come to think of it.
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

I was actually just looking into the Xperia Play. Still pretty cheap. But i just watched some 2016/7 vids on it and it looks really slow for SNES. :/