Emu Talk Goes Here
User avatar
8bit
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1898
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:20 pm
Location: Houston TX

Re: Best all-in-one emulation options - 2017

by 8bit Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:36 am

Jmustang1968 wrote:It doesnt include a power switch though right?


Thats right. There are some power adapters with inline power buttons but they seem to get iffy reviews from users. I just use the software to shut down today and then unplug/plug the micro usb cable to power cycle when turning on. (A lot of the time I just leave it on all the time because it's pretty much my TV service at this point)

There's actually a really cool mod for a headphone jack power button that I am going to try soon. YouTube
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |
User avatar
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 18982
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 1:08 pm
Location: Maine

Re: Best all-in-one emulation options - 2017

by BoneSnapDeez Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:33 am

Jagosaurus wrote:USB Controller:
I recommend a USB Buffalo SNES controller for D pad games. It'll only set you back $18 or so. RB thread on this controller going back 5 years. I'm still trying to researching my options for N64 analog stick.


I've always used this + an authentic controller for N64 games.
http://www.mayflash.com/products/n64snesss/pc043.html
User avatar
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6494
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:51 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Best all-in-one emulation options - 2017

by Jmustang1968 Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:16 pm

8bit wrote:
Jmustang1968 wrote:It doesnt include a power switch though right?


Thats right. There are some power adapters with inline power buttons but they seem to get iffy reviews from users. I just use the software to shut down today and then unplug/plug the micro usb cable to power cycle when turning on. (A lot of the time I just leave it on all the time because it's pretty much my TV service at this point)

There's actually a really cool mod for a headphone jack power button that I am going to try soon. YouTube


For mine, I picked up a power switch that gets soldered on the power switch pins I believe that was recommended in a few builds. Once I actually put it together after my move I will let you know how it works.
User avatar
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 3380
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:15 pm
Location: Houston, TEXAS

Re: Best all-in-one emulation options - 2017

by Jagosaurus Thu May 04, 2017 1:23 pm

Dave, did you land on the pi option?

I would've done this as well had I not just got emulators running on my oXbox & happened upon a decent working windows 7 desktop PC for free from work.

Tinkering with these projects is half the fun for me, getting it set up just right.

Let us know how it goes. When I researched it some time ago, there was a decent bit of CLI involved in setup which doesn't bother me (I use DOSBox & PS CUEtoPOPS fine) but looks like it's become more user friendly recently. Would be interested to see if it is a GUI setup based now.

Also, I'd like to know if there are retro computer emus (Amiga, ST, DOS, etc) for the pi.

This might be a good option for my living room as my TV is on my mantle and the PC or oXbox setup is way too bulky for that space. A small pi with a wireless controller/KBM would work....
User avatar
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7480
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:34 pm
Location: Henderson, North Carolina

Re: Best all-in-one emulation options - 2017

by ElkinFencer10 Thu May 04, 2017 4:09 pm

dsheinem wrote:
Hazerd wrote:I just use a modded wii, plays SNES/Gen/SCD/TG16-CD/GG/GBC/GBA/GB/SMS/NES/VB, and alot of MAME games, doesnt do N64/PS1 very well or at all. Also you have Wii/Gamecube support.

Anything it cant emulate, ill just use my PC for.

Otherwise retro-pie with custom case and controllers of choice.


This may be the easiest route, but the lack of HDMI sucks...!

Ask, and you shall receive.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Image
User avatar
fastbilly1
Site Admin
 
Posts: 13646
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:08 pm

Re: Best all-in-one emulation options - 2017

by fastbilly1 Thu May 04, 2017 4:21 pm

ElkinFencer10 wrote:
dsheinem wrote:This may be the easiest route, but the lack of HDMI sucks...!

Ask, and you shall receive.

I had that exact one for a while. It works great if your TV supports it. Just dont assume that HDMI = 1080. Its still a 480 image.
User avatar
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 3380
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:15 pm
Location: Houston, TEXAS

Re: Best all-in-one emulation options - 2017

by Jagosaurus Thu May 04, 2017 8:36 pm

Most TVs won't handle that signal as billy said. I have a old Vizio that is essentially a giant PC monitor that handles all kind of resolutions, including 576i and every VGA/DVI res I've tried, but even it won't take anything below 720 over HDMI.

I tried to spread that same story with this the Dreamcast HDMI product as well, but still saw a bunch of complaints on other sites.

Very similar to 240i over component. It's the luck of the draw. I now have ways to test sets for both.
User avatar
Damm64
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1592
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:49 am

Re: Best all-in-one emulation options - 2017

by Damm64 Mon May 08, 2017 5:54 am

dsheinem wrote:
Hazerd wrote:I just use a modded wii, plays SNES/Gen/SCD/TG16-CD/GG/GBC/GBA/GB/SMS/NES/VB, and alot of MAME games, doesnt do N64/PS1 very well or at all. Also you have Wii/Gamecube support.

Anything it cant emulate, ill just use my PC for.

Otherwise retro-pie with custom case and controllers of choice.


This may be the easiest route, but the lack of HDMI sucks...


Y'all have given me a lot to consider...keep the suggestions coming!


Didnt try for myself but i heard the WiiU is very easy to hack as well. Then you have access to WiiU/Wii/Gamecube games directly (you could use the gamecube adapter of the wiiu or a pro controller i think with the gamecube games). Then you just use the emulators built for the wii on the wiiu.

Edit: i forgot. Since most of the first party games of the N64 had been released on the wirtual console you can just play then on the wii/wiiu instead of emulate them.
noiseredux wrote:I don't lend shit and I don't borrow shit.

Image
User avatar
dsheinem
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 22999
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Northeast Pennsylvania

Re: Best all-in-one emulation options - 2017

by dsheinem Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:45 pm

Thanks to the feedback from everyone so far. I am definitely going to be setting up a new system in the near future - you can expect to find pretty much my entire "easily emulated" list of games on BST sometime soon :D

On a related question...I understand from a few recent threads that there are efforts in the works to make Dreamcast and Saturn games playable off of a SD card (or HDD?) on their original hardware (at least that's what I think I read). Can someone give me a quick run down of

1) Can I basically just keep my existing Saturn/Dreamcast, purchase and/or install a mod for each of them, and then load up ROMs of games for them without ever having to touch a disc?

2) If 1 is true, is this limited to one game at a time or can you essentially put a library of games for each system on a storage drive connected to the system itself with the right mod?

3) What will this cost me?
User avatar
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 3380
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:15 pm
Location: Houston, TEXAS

Re: Best all-in-one emulation options - 2017

by Jagosaurus Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:15 pm

dsheinem wrote:Thanks to the feedback from everyone so far. I am definitely going to be setting up a new system in the near future - you can expect to find pretty much my entire "easily emulated" list of games on BST sometime soon :D

On a related question...I understand from a few recent threads that there are efforts in the works to make Dreamcast and Saturn games playable off of a SD card (or HDD?) on their original hardware (at least that's what I think I read). Can someone give me a quick run down of

1) Can I basically just keep my existing Saturn/Dreamcast, purchase and/or install a mod for each of them, and then load up ROMs of games for them without ever having to touch a disc?

2) If 1 is true, is this limited to one game at a time or can you essentially put a library of games for each system on a storage drive connected to the system itself with the right mod?

3) What will this cost me?


1. Yes, for DC, not SS. The SS VCD hack is still far from finished. See here: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=50516

If you're referring to Saturn Rhae or Phobea, the install varies by motherboard revisions and requires soldering. Also, they were hard to come by unless something has changed.

2. There are 2 main DC ODEs (optical drive emulator) out there. I don't recall which, but one is much easier for loading games up. IIRC it is USB GD ROM but watch a few youtube tutorials to verify. Both are fairly plug and play. No soldering.

DC GDEMU:
https://gdemu.wordpress.com/ordering/
DC USB GDROM:
http://3do-renovation.ru/USB-GDROM_Controller.htm

3. DC USB GD ROM is $175
http://3do-renovation.ru/How_to_buy.htm

Caveat emptor. While a couple forum members here have had a good experience with him, the Stone Age Gamer site has a whole page dedicated to bashing his business practices.

General notes:
Obtaining reliable .isos is not as easy as ROMS. There are going to be a lot of compressed rips of DC titles stripped down to fit on CDR vs GDROM. There is a specific version of the iso burn program that supports ripping your DC titles. I have the .exe if you need it. I recommend ripping your own collection, especially before selling. Yes, it is time consuming but worth it to know what your are getting. I did it for 50+ PS2 games earlier in the year (for OPL HDD loading), and I have no regrets. I know they're all clean, full, playable images.
Return to Emulation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests