Atari Jaguar Emulation Compatibility List - VJ & PT

Emu Talk Goes Here
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Atari Jaguar Emulation Compatibility List - VJ & PT

Post by Jagosaurus »

Virtual Jaguar & Project Tempest Compatibility List:

Hey ladies and Gents,

I recently dove into Jaguar emulation. I realized there is not a decent compatibility list for the two main Jag emus out there, Project Tempest (PT) and Virtual Jaguar (VJ). I started testing and putting one together.

While I own a Jaguar & most of the games I want, I think emulation is important from a preservation standpoint. Also, Jaguar games and hardware are climbing fast in prices. The system has a very rich homebrew community and many of these games will run within the emus. Another added bonus.

Testing result so far:
24 of 34 games are working between the 2 emulators. That puts us at 70.6% compatibility so far. :)

The Jaguar has a complicated customer chip set (5 processors across 3 chips) and is difficult for programmers to write emulators for (think Sega Saturn emu problems).

I have 15 games left to test (for a total of the 49 retail carts). Keep in mind this percentage may go up as I/we test multiple builds of the emus. It likely will as I know VJ at one time ran Cybermorph and Flip Out. Both of which are listed as incompatible currently for both VJ & PT. That would bump us to 76% compatible once I find those older builds.

I will keep updating this thread for anyone interested, but I'll likely update more often over at Atari Age (AA) with the Jaguar nutters :D . I tried to attach the Excel file and PDF of where my testing currently sits here, but it is not allowed on RB. AA let me upload the PDF list. If you want to see the latest, check the thread I have running at AA here. Scroll down to my 4/18/17 post at 10:13p. Not trying to cross promote another forum, but the document listing each game is important. I will eventually make this a public (to view) Google doc, and allow editing for other testers (via PW).

Shamus created VJ and is tuned into the AA thread as well. Will be nice having his input.

I hope this becomes a useful resource long term and reference guide to anyone looking to emulate the Jaguar. What do yall think? Any one interested in Jaguar emulation or currently running it? This might help:

Virtual Jaguar Home Page with DL Links

Projet Tempest Home Page with DL Links

No need to spend the cash on Atari Karts before you try it 8). On that note, very happy to report Alien vs Predator is running very well in PT for me. I own it on the real hardware & it's worth owning a Jag for... but you should go play it... now.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Re: Atari Jaguar Emulation Compatibility List - VJ & PT

Post by nightrnr »

Fascinating, as always.

I only have used the Project Tempest emulator... for you guessed it, Tempest 2000.
I'm a Tempest fanatic, sort of (as you know already; T3X works on PS-IO now, BTW, but waiting for a bug fix before I try it myself).
One day I might just do an article on all the ports, remakes, and tributes that I've run across. It wouldn't be all inclusive or anything (hated the little I played of Space Giraffe, for instance). But It's likely my favorite classic arcade game.

But I have little interest in playing much else of Jaguar on the PC.
I might consider adding Wolfenstein 3D to my PT list though, just to easily compare a few things with other ports 1st hand. Loved the game on Jaguar, as the only port that I've finished.

If you find a way to get Fight for Life working, give a shout out here. I really want to try the 1 or 2 other versions of the game out there. I have 3 copies of the game: regular release and 2 protos on repro carts, each a different version. Only one of the proto/repros works though.
...just another lost soul...
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

nightrnr wrote:Fascinating, as always.

I only have used the Project Tempest emulator... for you guessed it, Tempest 2000.
I'm a Tempest fanatic, sort of (as you know already; T3X works on PS-IO now, BTW, but waiting for a bug fix before I try it myself).
One day I might just do an article on all the ports, remakes, and tributes that I've run across. It wouldn't be all inclusive or anything (hated the little I played of Space Giraffe, for instance). But It's likely my favorite classic arcade game.

But I have little interest in playing much else of Jaguar on the PC.
I might consider adding Wolfenstein 3D to my PT list though, just to easily compare a few things with other ports 1st hand. Loved the game on Jaguar, as the only port that I've finished.

If you find a way to get Fight for Life working, give a shout out here. I really want to try the 1 or 2 other versions of the game out there. I have 3 copies of the game: regular release and 2 protos on repro carts, each a different version. Only one of the proto/repros works though.

I really enjoy T2k as well. I need to put more time into it and get good at it. I've been considering investing in a rotary controller. There's a guy over at AA currently making them and selling the 2 models for $75 and $100 respectively. A tad steep but that seems to be the going rate over the years. The newest indie release, Rebooteroids also supports it so at least you'd get 2 games out of it.

Nice! I didn't know it was working on PSIO for you. I knew it was running for us within POPS on PS2.

So what do you find interesting about Fight for Life? Are you a Virtua Fighter fan? I just dig that is a 3D fighter on the Jag. I don't own it. Wish it was working via emu. There's an interesting story on that one stating the game was capable of being better optimized and one of the protos/betas runs smoother. It goes something along the lines of, essentially there was one main dev (who also worked on VF) and Atari was holding his money hostage. The game was eventually released, but like always in the Jaguar community... the lore remains it could have been better.

Not sure if you still own the system and if so which carts you have but so far, out of my testing I would recommend you trying the game below via emu. After I test all 49 cart games, I may move this list to OP with some additions. Maybe as a "Jag Games You Should Experience in Emulation - Quick Guide" within a spoiler tab. I am hoping Missile Command 3D, Towers II, and Worms work, but not overly confident the first two will.

Jag Games You Should Experience in Emulation - Quick Guide
Ultra Vortek - Jaguar exclusive fighter and not your average Mortal Kombat clone. Pick Buzz Saw. He's awesome. I had some fun with this one.

Raiden - Yes, it is on a lot of systems and MAME but this is very solid port with unique music. One of the handful of vertical shooters I've beaten. It also supports 2 player. Blows the Genesis port out of the water. I need to try PSX Project Raiden on PS2 via POPS...

Zool 2 - Worth trying if you've never played it and are a fan of Euro and/or fast platformers. I personally am just not very good at this one. It is a bit too hectic for its own good. Remind me of Jazz Jackrabbit on DOS. You'll have to emulate DOS or Amiga to play this one otherwise.

I-War - Jaguar exclusive. Try if you like Tron or early 3D polygon games.

Alien vs Predator - Jaguar exclusive. Man, I would've been blown away by this one when released. Had it been a pack in game, even at a later date (it was in Japan IIRC), I think we might remember the Jaguar much differently.

Wolfenstein 3D - I also am a big fan of the Jaguar port. Full screen, great music, no "points" and "lives" system, moved to the Doom health model. PT was running it in a slightly cropped window when I tested last night. I will try again today and see if a reboot fixes it.

Val D Ski & Snowboard - Jaguar exclusive. PT was also this one running it in a slightly cropped window when I tested last night. I will try again today and see if a reboot fixes it.

NBA Jam TE - Best console port, even over the PS1/SS IMO.

Atari Karts - Jaguar exclusive. Just for the novelty. Not any more impressive than SNES Mario Kart IMO.

Defender 2000 - Because Jeff Minter and Jaguar exclusive.

Bubsy in Fractured Tales - Jaguar exclusive. This is a unique game not a port of the others. It is very colorful and uses children's stories as level design. Not my favorite game personally due to the "float" mechanic, but some really enjoy it.

Rayman - The character was actually developed first on the Jaguar although the PS1 port saw store shelves first. There are some level differences from the PS1 port. Beautiful game.

Honorable Mentions: Cannon Fodder an Syndicate can be played in DOSbox better with a mouse and keyboard over a controller IMO, but notable additions to the Jag library.

I was very surprised with Evolution Dino Dudes and sunk hours into it, but you can easily emulate the Genesis port (called Humans). Jag game has minor improvements.

Doom - Evil Unleashed is a very solid port. We take for granted Doom has been ported to everything now, but in the early to mid 90's many didn't have a PC that could run this well. Sure, there are better options today, but it definitely gets a nod.

Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

FYI, finished this list for now. I still need to try some older versions on VJ that ran Cybermorph & Flip Out. Check link above for AA thread with DL-able chart.

Landed at 69.4% compatibility. Adding the two games above would bring us to 73.5%. Not too shabby.

I'll eventually update the games to experience. I was surprised to see Zero 5 worked, along with Worms & Missile Command 3D (some issues with MC3D).

Zero 5 is one of the 5 late cart releases by Telegames. It is a 3D arcade space shooter of sorts and a Jaguar exclusive.

nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

I am still undecided on a rotary controller. It would be neat, but I'm not sure if I'd want it installed on the front, the back, or what. I'm leaning the back and leaving the d-pad operational; plus I think my right hand would operate the dial better, and my left hand free to press the underside buttons. But I've also gotten really used to controllers for Tempest. Worth $60, maybe. But then if I really liked it, how would I go back to the other console ports :wink: ?

I have a respectable Jaguar collection still. Haven't pulled it out in a while, but of those others you recommended, I own:

Ultra Vortek---love me those fighters; only played it through once so far, but remember enjoying it
Raiden--- Music doesn't work for some reason, although sound effects are fine; not a deal breaker (I like providing my own with certain games), but this game needs a turbo controller/options or cybernetic thumbs. Raiden Project really is the way to go for me.
Zool 2--- Not played yet (or the 1st game for that matter, only own Zool 1 on Game Gear)
Alien vs Predator--- Yeah baby, yeah!
AvP is THE game that made me notice the system in game magazines back in the day. Never could beat it with Marine, but had a blast playing as Predator and Alien. A little choppy on the frame rate (original cart gameplay), but not to hinder enjoyment.
Wolfenstein 3D--- As stated, the only port I've played through
Bubsy in Fractured Tales--- Guess I don't yearn for platformers like I once did, as I haven't touched the game yet
Doom--- Every (capable) system needs it in some form; always wanted to try it with system link (don't have it), but maybe I'll do the PS1 port instead for that.
Evolution Dino Dudes--- One day...

As for these that I don't own on Jaguar:
Cannon Fodder an Syndicate can also be played on my 3DO. So no Jaguar love here. I used to really want a Cannon Fodder cart though.
Rayman--- ...is perfectly fine on PS1 for me. I am contented reading about the port differences:
http://www.gamezero.com/team-0/articles ... ad/rayman/

As for Fight for Life, I used to be (and still am) really obsessed with fighting games. Easy to pick up and play, visually pleasing, and satisfying to master move lists. Fighters offer dynamic gameplay and just a lot of replay value IMO. I find even the bad ones interesting. You could probably make a 1-on-1 fighting game completely of stick figures, call it Stick Fighter II, and I'd still find it enjoyable and amusing.
And yes, I do like Virtua Fighter, but I just had to check out the 3D fighting attempt on Jaguar. I still liked it, but the characters can all be built to play the same as you acquire the same new moves (more or less) after each character beaten.
-Anyways-, I am interested in the different ports ever since this article (which I believe you are channeling:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=42674
The slower "official release" doesn't bother me that much, but it does benefit from the extra speed from the proto. I can't remember why, but there's something I like better about the original, something about less restricted movement or jumping.
Both versions are unfinished in some ways.
The "Limited Edition" is the one that I really want to try some day, as the protos are just that, unfinished prototypes.

Also, I've got to point out that Towers II has a Windows port (which I do own). It uses a somewhat odd mouse only interface to move and fight, but is likely the best alternative if playing on a Win PC.
Otherwise, maybe I'll try it on that up and coming Jaguar flash cart someday.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I've always been oddly draw to Fight for Life. Not sure why. I just can't justify paying the $60-$80 I've seen it go for CIB.

That thread looks awesome. I'll read up on the history of both. Regarding Checkered Flag, it does seem to run better in Virtual Jaguar than real hardware. The framerate is smoother. Also, CJ at AA (who has ported 20+ ST games to the Jag & is a member of Reboot dev team) released a patch that does help the controls reportedly. I *think* it is SKUNK board compatible only at this point.

I actually "beat" CF which I consider coming in 1st in each track consecutively on hard mode :D. I only had 3 Jag games at the time :lol:

I forget those 2 were on 3DO. I also own PS1 Rayman. Specifically bought it 5+ years ago bc the Jag version was too expensive.

Outside of my list above after additional testing, I would recommend emulating Zero 5. Controls are odd for sure, but any 3D game on the Jaguar is interesting to me. It's a unique one for sure. And yikes, it's selling for $120 on ebay. I'll be testing this one out more. It seems to get fairly polar opinions, love it or hate it.

Telegames actual reprints those 5 late "swan song" games occasionally to this day (Iron Soldier 2, Zero 5, Towers II, Breakout 2K, Worms). It seems IS2 & Towers II get printed more.

Also, my old XP machine runs Towers II fine in Windows '95 compatibility mode.... except for saving :(. I am mounting a digital image via Dameon Tools. Maybe I need to tinker some more with it. Any tips there?

Pretty excited to see Attack of the Mutant Penguins & Flip Out! received DOS releases. I need to try them in DOSbox as neither work in Jag emu.

nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

For Towers II:
Do not mount the game. Copy the actual files over to your hard drive. Saves fine for me (on Windows 7 even, but I might be using a modified exe; even if so, the unmodified game saved fine on XP).
I can't remember how you would save otherwise when using the disc directly (there is a way), but I think it is trying to save to the drive path that it is installed to.
The game is so small that there's no reason not to copy it to its own file though.

My main opinion of Fight for Life is that it is a decent early 3D like fighter... just with an unfortunate development history and end product. Combine the 2 versions I tried (and add a better ending unique to each character) and you've got a deserving game.
It would be neat if someone would take the source port (the source code CD is often on ebay) and make a finished (or even expanded) port for Windows.

Checkered Flag, yeah that was infamous enough to keep me away from it. I suppose I'd pick it up for cheap if the occasion presented itself. Funny and nice to hear that it plays better emulated (when does that ever happen?)
Dare I ask how Club Drive is? (oh right, not even the emus will touch it :wink: )

Iron Soldier 2 is CD only right? Can THAT be emulated on PC?

NBA Jam TE: I'm not sure what is supposed to make it so much better, but I'll stick to other ports of the game (if only for preferred controllers). One day it would be neat to pit the Jag against the 32X game though, just for kicks.

Attack of the Mutant Penguins: Owh, and I though my cart was special :( . Nah, that's good that there's another option. Yet another game I've only sampled, but it's bizarre enough to be interesting. This was basically my alternative game choice instead of Cannon Fodder, for good or bad.

Too bad that Ruiner Pinball, Super Burnout, Power Drive Rally don't seem to work emulated. They are some favorites of mine (or supposed to be good, as I haven't given PDR a good run yet).

Want to get Kasumi Ninja sometime (yet another no emu game according to your list). From it's reputation: Bad fighter they say... I must know more..
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Okay, nice. Will try that on Towers II. I am still green on the virtual disc mounting, as well as getting CD games running in DOSbox. It seems hit or miss without some tinkering, but I haven't tried too hard.

Fight for Life: I love seeing unreleased games finished and existing games patched, so that would be amazing for FfL.

Checkered Flag: Is the game unfinished... rushed for sure. Was it ambitious... absolutely. Rebellion proved the knew the Jag with AvP. Sure this one could have been better without the Tramiels rushing out software (still need to read the story thread). Maybe my Buffalo SNES USB controller also helps turning a bit in VJ?

Club Drive: Yes :lol: even the emus won't run it. Story on that one is that it was literally a 1 man team. Then again 2 guys developed Super Burnout in an apartment and it's one of the most impressive Jag games IMO.

Iron Soldier 2 Cartridge: Believe it or not, IS2 was also released on cart. You can still buy it new from Carl at Songbird Productions. He is a US distributor for Telegames UK who still reprints that one occasionally. It runs $120 NIB :shock:. I've been tempted to be honest. The cut scenes are removed and possibly some of the music tracks. No sure on the later though. Shame neither IS games run in VJ or PT.

Carl at SB is also responsible for having the following released on the Jag: Protector, Protector SE (which also includes a CD encryption by pass on cart), Frog Feast, Skyhammer, Soccer Kid, Hyper Force, and Total Carnage. Sure I am missing some, and I imagine he had varying degrees on involvement in each. Maybe Robinson's Requim as well? He might just be acting as a distributor on that one. He has released and sells several Lynx games as well although I don't follow that scene much. He's been a big contributor to the post death Jag & Lynx scene.

NBA Jam: I've only emulated the 32X port but the Jag one looked better to me. On the Jag you also have the full player roster and the crowd animates. I know the SNES & Genesis are missing that, not sure on 32X. The players faces are present in the Jag port, versus generic sprites (I think the 32X has that?). The player sprites on the SS/PS1 just look off to me. I think they're a tad too big. They're also much too small on SNES & Genesis. I've never tried the DOS port.

Attack of the Mutant Penguins: I'll let you know when/if I get this one running in DOSbox, along with Flip Out 8)

Kasumi Ninja This one is listed as running in VJ. It is interesting!
:?

I need to make the list alternate with light grey and white rows to make it easier to follow across. Also CJ let me know that I change the .j64 files to .rom and they should run as intended so I have 3 more non-compatible games to test in PT now (it is picky about extension names). I'll update the chart after.

Ruiner Pinball, Super Burnout, Power Drive Rally.... Yeah I really enjoy both Super Burnout and PDR a lot. PDR was released on the SNES in Europe and it does run on a flash cart fine and emus, but is definitely not as eye appealing as the Jag game. Much simpler, with similar gameplay. Worth checking out. Wish those 3 ran in VJ or PT as well.

Jag Games On PC: A thread was just started over at AA about Jaguar ports, and it looks like 18 of the 63 retail games (49 cart + 14 CD) are on PC as well. So 28.6%, just under 1/3. List of those 18 available in DOS or Windows 95 below. I want to try them in DOSbox or W95 compatibility mode on my XP machine.

Edit: Add Zoop & BSF. Up to 20 Jag games on PC. 31.75%

Edit 2: Add Power Drive Rally on DOS! This puts us at 31 of 63 Jag games, released on PC... exactly 1/3 or 33.33%.

Myst
Baldies
Tempest 2000
Alien vs. Predator
Braindead 13
Highlander
AOTMP
Flip Out!
Cannon Fodder
Syndicate
Theme Park
Doom
Wolf 3D
Zool 2
Vid Grid
Towers II
NBA Jam TE
Rayman
Zoop
Brutal Sports Football
Power Drive Rally

nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Cool, a definitive Jag on PC list. All it needs now is a comparison article ;) .
Concerning the Wolfenstein ports that I have tried (not that you asked), I really like the MacWolf (for Windows) port (don't think it has the auto map feature though). It is becoming my definitive version, as it includes both the PC and Mac missions (more levels) and the level set and facelift that the Jaguar was based on. The 3DO version is pretty awesome too for the similar reasons. But the Jaguar cart will always hold a special place for me.

That's awesome about Iron Soldier 2 on cart (thanks for the info). I totally want it, but can't justify $120 for the curiosity, especially if it is basically more of the same.
Still hoping for that flash cart you mentioned in the other thread that could have CD potential one day.

--edit--
Oh, and I remember seeing that crotch fire move in game mags. The less a fighting game takes itself serious, really just makes me more interested.

Also, from my recent searches, it does sound like the Jag version of NBA Jam TE is technically superior. But I think I'll stick with my other versions on Saturn and 32x (excellent ports as well).
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

You know I've actually thought about a similar article for the 3DO. I was going to go through the games list & see which ones were on DOS, W95, Amiga, Genesis, Jaguar, & SNES. Then list which games are truly 3DO exclusives. I sort of did it organically here for the Jag. I might write up something for both this year after my second kiddo comes & gets settled in.

I actually discovered Wolfenstein & DOOM around the same time on my old (then new) 386. Great times & memories. I really like the footage I've seen of the 3DO port. The sound FX are great. It's not full screen due to the HUD bar. Clever way to make the gameplay screen smaller. That area is transparent on the Jag version making it true full screen. Also, I love the Jag music. Do the MAC & 3DO versions have the extra DOOM like weapons? I always forget that. Also, 3DO port still has lives and points which feel out of place to me. I like the Jag switch to DOOM style health. Jag music is also rocking in a jazzy bass kind of way. I've also beat it on the Jag, and I had a blast with it! I need to boot up 3DO Wolf on FreeDO. Definitely impressive.

I'm making myself beat Iron Solider before I commit $120 for IS2. Man, the later levels are tough! I need to try PSX IS3 out on PS2 POPS :)

I didn't hear about Kasumi Ninja until years later. It has style... literally... it came with a ninja headband :lol:

I played NBA Jam often at a local gas station before school. The other cab was usually Revolution X so I stuck to basketball! NBA Jam was always there. I remember Mortal Kombat being the second cab for a very short time. Parent complaints maybe? Anyway, I was a bit obsessed about keeping my initials at or near the top. One thing I know the Jag game is missing are the shoes squeaking on the hardwood basketball floor. Odd they left that out. It is dang near arcade perfect & often gets overlooked as another 6800 chip 16 bit style port.

Edit/Add: Unfortunately, I've been told Zero 5 crashes in emu in some of the later canyon/tube style levels. Those are fairly technically impressive 3D & I was looking forward to it! This is why I love emulation. I enjoy the game enough to justify the cart purchase if the SD flash cart doesn't come out within a year or so.

Speaking of, I'm following the AA thread closely. I'll try to bump the thread here if pre orders open. He's close to finishing NGPC SD cart & Jag is next in line. He has some specs worked out already. I'm really hoping he & Carl (Jag Unleashed is another Songbird project) get those CD games running via SD as well! IS2, Battlemorph, & World Tour Racing are 3 I really want to try.