Help with screenshots on the Gen Plus Emulator

Emu Talk Goes Here
DeadPark
16-bit

Help with screenshots on the Gen Plus Emulator

Post by DeadPark »

I recently played Earthworm Jim on the Gen + emulator (ver 0.9.61) and i recorded my input as i played.

now, I'm watching the recordings again trying to get screenshots to make a new article for my site, but I'm having trouble. Whenever i take a screenshot, it breaks the input recording, and i have to start the play through again to get the next screenshot.

what it looks like is, whenever i take a screenshot, the game lags for a split second. this seems to cause the input to go out of sync with the actual gameplay. so for example, if i made a jump in the recording, after a screenshot, i will have missed the jump, then all of the inputs don't make any sense any more because I'm not in the same area as i was when i inputted them.

This is making getting screenshot very difficult and annoying. Any advice other than tough it out?

Also any advice for maybe a different emulator that won't have this problem in the future? as long as it has input record and screenshot for the genesis, i'm willing to switch over.
Visit me at http://www.DeadPark.com. The Many Deaths of a Gamer.
Or follow me on Facebook or Twitter
nullPointer
128-bit

Re: Help with screenshots on the Gen Plus Emulator

Post by nullPointer »

Have you tried using dedicated screen capture software? It may depend on your desired usage, but I would guess that using dedicated software would alleviate your current issues. Fraps is sort of the old standby, and a lot of folks swear by it, but ever since making the switch, I've had better results (and system performance) using Action!.

Like I say, it may come down to your desired usage, but if you're producing YouTube content, or making EmuMovies captures and the like, either of the above options are practically indispensable tools in your arsenal (IMO).
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

My advice to you is to completely scrap the idea of using the emulator's software to capture video and screenshots and instead, invest your time and efforts working with other software such as OBS (Open Broadcaster Software). It is free, allows you to set up scenes efficiently, as well as compresses the video as it records, unlike other software such as FRAPS that gives you uncompressed video footage and eats at your harddrive space. I have used OBS for over a year for both streaming and personal recording of game footage and it takes screenshots and sets the stage for creating a much more personalized layout that will fit your needs, without having a heavier reliance on later video editing software. You can set up borders, simultaneous gameplay and webcam footage if you are interested in following the standard Youtuber-style Let's Plays. It also can work for dedicated program capture, as well as full screen capture of your computer and is an absolute breeze to use...and it's FREE!

Fiddle around with it and trust me, it is an excellent choice.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
DeadPark
16-bit

Post by DeadPark »

Thank you for the replys, but to be clear, i'm only trying to take still pictures from my gameplay recordings, not make youtube videos. the only reason i record the video is because it's hard to get the screenshots WHILE playing.

i do have fraps though, but when i tried to use that, it wouldn't even detect the game. i don't think i'm doing anything wrong. your open frapps and press the record hotkey, pretty hard to screw up.

i'll look into the other suggestions though. thank you.
DeadPark
16-bit

Post by DeadPark »

i took a look at OBS, and while not exactly what i was looking for, it does look like i might be able to make it work for me.

thank you.