Translation Patches for Japanese versions of games?

Emu Talk Goes Here
KingHennessy

Translation Patches for Japanese versions of games?

Post by KingHennessy »

Hi! I'm new here, and I couldn't find another thread about this, but if I am posting somewhere I shouldn't/making a redundant topic, etc., please let me know.

Anyways, I recently got a RetroN 5 system so I could play Japanese Super Famicom games in English, legally. It works great on games like Seiken Densetsu 3, which needed a fan translation. The problem is as follows: I realized buying lower-demand, lower-cost, Japanese versions of games (for example, Soul Blazer. The cartridge has a hefty asking price on eBay, but Soul Blader (JP) is cheap.) and applying the English translation to it would save me a lot of money. However, I can't find the .ips patches for these released-in-America games. Can anybody help?
Nyukki
128-bit

Re: Translation Patches for Japanese versions of games?

Post by Nyukki »

no luck on romhacking.net? I know they have some 'retranslations'
Weekend shmupper
kevers7290

Post by kevers7290 »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:https://www.mediafire.com/folder/b5kjabm681te5/Patches_for_Retron_5#dzs9pam6uaq34

Awesome! I got a copy of Rockman 7 for Super Famicom cheap and now I can play it as Mega Man 7. Does anyone know where I can find an english patch for Yoshi's Island? I have a Japanese SFC copy.
KingHennessy

Post by KingHennessy »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:https://www.mediafire.com/folder/b5kjabm681te5/Patches_for_Retron_5#dzs9pam6uaq34

Thanks for the replies, especially BoneSnapDeez! This resource seems like it will sate my import needs for quite a while.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

It just clicked. Really? They cloned the Retrode, stole some emulator code and stuck it in a box? No wonder that retron5 topic's at the top...
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

The Maybe-Intro project is also a fantastic source of 'hand-selected' English translation patches (as well as hacks) for a number of systems. Although it's not been updated in a couple of years it's still highly worthy of investigation IMO.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

KingHennessy wrote:I realized buying lower-demand, lower-cost, Japanese versions of games (for example, Soul Blazer. The cartridge has a hefty asking price on eBay, but Soul Blader (JP) is cheap.) and applying the English translation to it would save me a lot of money. However, I can't find the .ips patches for these released-in-America games. Can anybody help?

You can make the IPS patches you need easily, you don't need a re-translation. Just grab the ROMs for both the JPN and USA versions of the game (or whatever versions you have and want to patch to) then use an IPS patching utility to create the patch you need. It'll take mere seconds per game.

http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/240/

The only thing to watch out for is if there's multiple versions of the ROM you're patching (the JPN cart). Some games had revisions, so there might be a v1.0 and v1.1 ROM for example. It's not common, but it could mean the difference between making a working patch or not. The ROM that you're patching to doesn't matter (so long as it isn't a bad ROM) just the ROM that you're patching from. You want that ROM to be, ideally, a 1:1 copy of the cart you have. Otherwise, the patch wont be correct.