emulators for use on dreamcast-any recommendations?

Emu Talk Goes Here
soniklife
24-bit

emulators for use on dreamcast-any recommendations?

Post by soniklife »

i am a 30 year old gamer who just got back into the hobby after something like 7 years of not picking up a game. it is funny what someone who has some expendable cash and time on his hands can get a serious case of the nostalgia bug! anyhow i have picked up on systems that i missed out over the years such as the saturn (which i have since modded) and dreamcast systems. so this world of isos and now emulators is still somewhat new to me to pardon the "noob" question, but from what i have been told is that the dreamcast can play emulator discs, which i am completely fascinated by. I saw a video of someone playing a sega master system emulator on their dreamcast so i was wondering what emulators are out there for play on the dreamcast and which ones would the community here recommend. are the genesis or snes emulators for play on the dreamcast so i can play those games that are a bit out of my price range (i.e earthbound, chrono trigger, etc)? thanks for any info!
dudex77
32-bit

Post by dudex77 »

I've played through Chronno Trigger and Earthbound in Dreamsnes and they both work essentially flawlessly. The only decent option for genesis is to use the hacked up sega smash pack disc which can't save :cry: Any way these are the emulators I would suggest:
Dreamsnes - Super Nintendo
nesterdc SE - Nintendo
Stella DC - 2600
PCEcast - PC Engine
Hacked Sega Smash Pack - Genesis
SMS Plus DC - SMS
Neo4All/CD - Neogeo
Mame4all - Mame
Daedalus DC - N64 (only mario 64 works)
Race - NGPC
Dream Frodo - C64
Gnuboy - GBC
soniklife
24-bit

Post by soniklife »

awesome! thanks for the info. i guess mainly i was looking for snes emulator so i can earthbound and chrono trigger. genesis games are still fairly affordable, even my two biggest wants (gunstar heroes & the vectorman games) so i'll just play the actual games. but yeah thanks for the info
HeavyMetalMe
128-bit

Post by HeavyMetalMe »

Holy cow, I can't wait to grow up and have money to spend on nostalgia.

Glad to see the opposite of the stereotypical older gamer. AKA "My wife is making me sell these..."

:)
High-Brow Gag & Pure Shooting
retro_gammer79
24-bit

Post by retro_gammer79 »

dudex77 wrote:I've played through Chronno Trigger and Earthbound in Dreamsnes and they both work essentially flawlessly. The only decent option for genesis is to use the hacked up sega smash pack disc which can't save :cry: Any way these are the emulators I would suggest:
Dreamsnes - Super Nintendo
nesterdc SE - Nintendo
Stella DC - 2600
PCEcast - PC Engine
Hacked Sega Smash Pack - Genesis
SMS Plus DC - SMS
Neo4All/CD - Neogeo
Mame4all - Mame
Daedalus DC - N64 (only mario 64 works)
Race - NGPC
Dream Frodo - C64
Gnuboy - GBC

Sorry had to step in here. I would never ever recommend PCEcast as the emulation is horrible, as well as the found and it does not stretch full screen. If I am going to sue emulation it better be 95% or better otherwise not worth your time as it will bring frustration and not nostalgia. Neo4All/CD works perfectly and emulates NeoGeo CD very var well, only a few games that don;t work. Nester DC SE is great as welll and this is 100& perfect no issues as well. Not only that it builds a database with screen, shots cheat codes etc. The others I have not bothered with at this time. Except the hacked Sega Smash pack and the compadabillity was like 60% but that was a few years ago, amybe things have changed now,
cloudrat7
32-bit

Post by cloudrat7 »

There is a sega genesis emulator that works on dc it's called Segagen,
but it is extremely hard to find anywhere on the net being that it's actually still considered warez or something.
It actually plays about 99.9 percent of games, except for Gargoyles which i know of, It has full speed and save states but the sound
quality could use some work. actually it uses the sega smash pack code so the sound emulation was actually never perfected. Oh and the interface is a pain in the @$$, since you have to click down on the control pad continously till you see a game you want to play.
http://www.artwanted.com/cloudrat7
Sega master system, Sega genesis, Sega saturn(mod), Dreamcast, Nes, Super nes, Turbografx-16, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Gamecube, X-box 360.
dudex77
32-bit

Post by dudex77 »

retro_gammer79 wrote:Sorry had to step in here. I would never ever recommend PCEcast as the emulation is horrible, as well as the found and it does not stretch full screen. If I am going to sue emulation it better be 95% or better otherwise not worth your time as it will bring frustration and not nostalgia. Neo4All/CD works perfectly and emulates NeoGeo CD very var well, only a few games that don;t work. Nester DC SE is great as welll and this is 100& perfect no issues as well. Not only that it builds a database with screen, shots cheat codes etc. The others I have not bothered with at this time. Except the hacked Sega Smash pack and the compadabillity was like 60% but that was a few years ago, amybe things have changed now,
You are the reason why homebrew communities die. There's a little incompatibility with PCEcast but it's damn good and can play Dracula X for christ's sake and with a pretty steady frame rate. All emulators have to start somewhere, no one can just make a perfect emulator in a night. The sega smash pack compatibility is still about the same but it emulates the majority of games anyone would want to play and damn well too, of all the big name games that I tried out Virtua Fighter is the only one that didn't work properly. The only reason an emulator isn't worth a burn is when it can't play anything at all and a proper release hasn't even been put together, but to say that an emulator isn't worth the time because you can't put up with a few bugs or 90 percent emulation is just being an ass.
retro_gammer79
24-bit

Post by retro_gammer79 »

dudex77 wrote:
retro_gammer79 wrote:Sorry had to step in here. I would never ever recommend PCEcast as the emulation is horrible, as well as the found and it does not stretch full screen. If I am going to sue emulation it better be 95% or better otherwise not worth your time as it will bring frustration and not nostalgia. Neo4All/CD works perfectly and emulates NeoGeo CD very var well, only a few games that don;t work. Nester DC SE is great as welll and this is 100& perfect no issues as well. Not only that it builds a database with screen, shots cheat codes etc. The others I have not bothered with at this time. Except the hacked Sega Smash pack and the compadabillity was like 60% but that was a few years ago, amybe things have changed now,
You are the reason why homebrew communities die. There's a little incompatibility with PCEcast but it's damn good and can play Dracula X for christ's sake and with a pretty steady frame rate. All emulators have to start somewhere, no one can just make a perfect emulator in a night. The sega smash pack compatibility is still about the same but it emulates the majority of games anyone would want to play and damn well too, of all the big name games that I tried out Virtua Fighter is the only one that didn't work properly. The only reason an emulator isn't worth a burn is when it can't play anything at all and a proper release hasn't even been put together, but to say that an emulator isn't worth the time because you can't put up with a few bugs or 90 percent emulation is just being an ass.

Yes, I am the sole reason for all homebrew projects die. I confess, I confess, I confess!!!!!

Obvoisly this guy is looking to do a battle of wits here. I have better things to do wiht my time. Just try it out for your self.
grittykitty
forever 16-bit

Post by grittykitty »

having nesterdc with some great nes roms is pretty much reason enough to own a dreamcast! also, there are a few playstation games that supposedly run fairly well that are fan-made and selfbooting. these are usually available on underground gamer, but i've yet to try an myself.
dudex77
32-bit

Post by dudex77 »

retro_gammer79 wrote:
Yes, I am the sole reason for all homebrew projects die. I confess, I confess, I confess!!!!!

Obvoisly this guy is looking to do a battle of wits here. I have better things to do wiht my time. Just try it out for your self.
Damn internet doesn't convey anything how you want it to be. What I am saying is a load of people just criticizing a project for not being fast enough or compatible enough when it's not finished does nothing but get rid of the motivation for someone to finish a project. I'm not trying to do any battle of wits here all I'm saying is unless you can really do a better job and create an emulator you should just be quiet.