Silent Hill hi-res on ePSXe

Emu Talk Goes Here
Matteo

Silent Hill hi-res on ePSXe

Post by Matteo »

Hi there guys, as you can see, I'm a newbie. I don't know if there is any area where I have to introduce myself, I couldn't find it... btw, my name's Matteo and I'm Italian.:)

I've just started to use the ePSXe emulator and don't know much about the matter... I read some guides and tried to set the emulator as best I could. I'd like to play my beloved first Silent Hill with high-res textures and graphics, I know it's possible also thanks to so-called shaders.:D

So folks, can anyone help me to set the best configuration for SH and the recommended shader or shaders to use? Feel free to share your tests, your attempts. Thanks! :wink:
Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: Silent Hill hi-res on ePSXe

Post by Anapan »

Hey, welcome to the forum! There is a New Members thread in the Off-Topic section but it's not required.

There's a guide to some Shader and other settings onsite here:
Enhance PS1 Graphics with ePSXe plugin settings

I know there's a lot of scaling algorithms available through pixel shaders, but I've never actually used any of them except the full-screen ones for good scanline effects...

I know it's the opposite of what you're asking, but I prefer to keep the pixel-based stuff (hud/hp display, fixed backgrounds, etc.) unfiltered and integer scaled rather than blurry and stretched.

Here's the settings I use for high-resolution 3D models with no texture or shader effects @ 1080P resolution - it makes everything look clean and crisp with sharp, well defined edges:

Plugin: Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.9

Resolution&Colors:
- Fullscreen mode (Selected) Desktop resolution 1920x1080 32 bit
- Window Mode (unselected) Window Size: 1280x960
- Use Window size in Fullscreen mode (widescreen fix)
- Internal X resolution: 2
- Internal Y resolution: 3
- Stretching Mode: 0
- Render Mode: 2

Textures:
- Filtering: 0
- Hi-Res textures: 0
- Use Pixel Shader for PSX Texture Window: disabled
- VRam size: 0 MBytes

Framerate:
- FPS limitation: off
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: 200.0 (selected)

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 1
- Framebuffer effects: 3
- Framebuffer uploads: 2

Misc:
- Scanlines: off
- Mdec filter: off
- Screen filtering: off
- Shader effects: 0/1 (disabled)
- Flicker-fix border size: 0
- GF4/XP crash fix: off
- Game fixes: off [00000000]

I actually used a calculator for all the weird screen modes and this is the most compatible way to show the graphics even though it's slightly smaller than the full screen. All vector/3D stuff will be HD, all pixel-based content will be multiples of the 1920x1080 resolution. Some game fixes and options may be necessary depending on your graphics card, but I have yet to encounter any big problems on my Nvidia card.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Matteo

Post by Matteo »

Thanks for your reply, I already checked out that guide, it doesn't say that much. Your post is really helpful, so you suggest me not to use any shaders or textures filtering?

Here's how the initial screen of SH appears...

Image Image Image Image

... do you see that contrail (especially near the man hands)? How can I fix it? My actual configuration is the following.

Plugin: Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.9
Author: Pete Bernert
Card vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
GFX card: GeForce 8600 GTS/PCIe/SSE2

Resolution/Color:
- 640x480 Window mode
- Internal X resolution: 2
- Internal Y resolution: 3
- Keep psx aspect ratio:
- No render-to-texture: on

- Filtering: 6 - edge clamping supported
- Hi-Res textures: 2
- TexWin pixel shader: on - supported
- VRam size: 512 MBytes - 195 textures usable

Framerate:
- FPS limitation: off
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 2
- Framebuffer effects: 3
- Framebuffer uploads: 2
- Subtractive blending: activated

Misc:
- Scanlines: off
- Mdec filter: on
- Screen filtering: on
- Shader effects: 1/4
- Flicker-fix border size: 0
- GF4/XP crash fix: off
- Game fixes: off [00000000]
turbolegs
24-bit

Post by turbolegs »

The blurring on Harry's hands occurs when playing on real hardware. It was just an effect the developers were going for, no idea if you can change it using an emulator (i'm assuming you can't).
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I'm not suggesting that you do not use Shading effects at all; That's why you came here.
I understand you want your video quality pumped up!

The trails are hard-programmed into the game. You cannot change that. The framebuffer effects used for that may be a problem - The game is realtime fading successive frames into each other - this causes a large bandwidth problem if any effects are applied, or the resolution is large (frame1+frame2+frame3 with each filtered several times=lots of CPU @30FPS)...

The settings I use do not have any(?) problems with frame buffer effects and other tricks that certain games use for special effects (GITS night-vision mode, FF7 battle swirl etc.) so they're a good base point to work from to enable special filters.

Since you want Silent Hill's graphics upgraded, the first step is to render it in high resolution - make the plugin use your 3D card to render the 3D stuff at your screen's native resolution. What type of screen do you have (make/model?).

I'll take a safe resolution guess at 1280x1024 (assuming an old VESA capable CRT or 4x3 LCD?)

Change these settings:
Resolution/Color:
- 640x480 Window mode *** change to your screen's native resolution (* 1280x1024?)
- Internal X resolution: 2 *** good
- Internal Y resolution: 3 *** good
- Keep psx aspect ratio: 1? *** good
- No render-to-texture: on *** Is this Render mode 2: Framebuffer object? if so leave it otherwise change it to that)

Changing these settings can cause performance drops depending on the other settings. It's very easy to make some tricks the PS1 used make even the best system grind to a 2-3fps mess because of it's GPU's capabilities and low resolution - keeping in mind that you just took it's 320x240=76800 pixels to 1280x1024=1310720 pixels to deal with 30-60 times per second.

Your graphics card is awesome; It should have no problem making the game look and run great (I was really hoping you didn't have onboard intel).
I've played a lot of games on the settings I use, but I'll try to enhance the textures shortly on my own system (I've been using my phone to post - I haven't been home so I haven't been able to try anything yet - just going off memory and VNC for settings list).
I'm sure we can find a good combination of settings.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Matteo

Post by Matteo »

I've tried to play SH with your settings, Anapan... here's some screens.

Image Image Image Image Image Image

The only thing I've changed was the Widescreen fix's option, if I keep it enabled the game runs in a small window with black borders, so I disabled it. What do you think? :D

My native resolution is, as you can see from the screens, 1440x900. I have this monitor -> http://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-W1952S-lcd-monitor.

There are some things you said I didn't get quite well, such as hud/hp display, fixed backgrounds, unfiltered and integer scaled or vector/3D stuff... can you explain me please? You know, I'm not so skilled in this field.:roll:

turbolegs wrote:The blurring on Harry's hands occurs when playing on real hardware. It was just an effect the developers were going for, no idea if you can change it using an emulator (i'm assuming you can't).

So we can say that it's "normal"?
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

The hand thing is normal.

Try these settings, dood:
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Matteo wrote:There are some things you said I didn't get quite well, such as hud/hp display, fixed backgrounds, unfiltered and integer scaled or vector/3D stuff... can you explain me please? You know, I'm not so skilled in this field.:roll:
So we can say that it's "normal"?

Yeah, I was drunk so I nerded out :P (also drunk now :!: )

Glad you got it going in HD - that's the resolution settings. What you asked for tho was HD textures using Pixel Shading. You can access that through the high-res textures option in the Textures section.

HUD = Heads-up display - the graphics shown over the 3D stuff in the background. I don't like them blurry or with rounded edges; I prefer the pixels on them to be square. If you enable any filters on the textures you'll probably have them either blurry or sharp, but with rounded edges rather than square. On your screen shots those would be the text.

Re: backgrounds: Because even the 2D stuff is rendered in 3D - just a 3D rectangle with a picture over or under everything else; Any fixed backgrounds (think FF7's pre-rendered backgrounds) will be affected by the filtering you do on textures. If you've ever played with the post-processing filters in ZSNES or other emulators you'll have a good idea what this does. Here's a site that demonstrates the filtering:
Scaling algorithms realtime.
BTW, if anyone can get Vectormagic going on a NES emulator I'd love to play Super Mario Bros. - Picasso-Pacman-mode!

When you activate any of these, *everything* that was square pixels with the settings you used gets the full treatment done to it. That means Harry's jacket is turned from square pixels on triangles to whatever the filter does, and so does everything else 2D-mapped and 3D wrapped. Your CPU/GPU will take a hit because everything graphical including the textures wrapped around the 3D models has this done to it every frame and then they're wrapped around the 3D model.

When I mentioned unfiltered - that means like the text on your screen shots, the pixels remain square - sharp corners rather than rounded or blurred by the filter. This is the easiest/least CPU intensive way to show everything. I use those settings because I haven't found a game yet that behaves strangely with them and it's the most authentic while showing all the 3D in perfect clarity. I get 60FPS on most every game despite my slightly old video card.

Integer scaled - this means the settings I gave make sure that everything that would be shown in 2D (the text, the HP gage, the map) is only ever shown with perfectly scaled pixels. Even if the resolution would have the pixels off-square (say 640x240 when it's supposed to be displayed 640x480) all the pixels have the same perfect scaling. Best shown with a picture so:
This is slightly exaggerated (the last 2 pictures were scaled to non-integer sizes and then 2x, but it shows what happens with non-integer scaling.

Certainly you have enough pixels on your screen, that most filtering you would do is pleasing to the eye. The page linked above can show you what's possible through standard pixel scaling, but shaders can do that and go way beyond. For most of the game, you're only looking at the textures on the 3D models, so you should experiment with those plugins to find your favorite. The low resolution of the textures on the models with the pixel shading plugins you can apply to them would improve the game considerably. This is like a super powered filter that the Nintendo 64 had to blur the textures, and the Playstation could only do square pixel mapping.
(yeah, I stole that picture - the bottom half has some blur on the 3D low definition too that wouldn't be there, but you get the idea)

The problem comes when the game does special effects like time-blurring frames together 60 times a second with 3D transformation (tilting it a bit and applying additive transparency or whatever) for special effects. Every time it does that your CPU/GPU will take a massive hit in processing to do that filter to everything. Since your graphics card is so powerful you shouldn't have a problem, but trial-and-error with the FPS display will weed out what your computer can and can't do).

The only thing left is someone to find a repository of currently-updated pixel-shader plugins for ePSXe. I have one for KEGA I gathered over a year ago, but some of the .so plugins don't work on it.

This is where someone in-the-know should chime in!

Oh, and, yeah that's "normal"!
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Matteo

Post by Matteo »

Wow dude, now I understand why you took so long to answer... there is so much stuff, OMG! :lol:

Now I have to focus my mind on it, 'cause with a first translation I didn't get that much. Always remember English isn't my native language, besides there are also technical terms, so my translation's job will need a little more time.:?

BTW, I'm gonna get started right away, thanks for your help. And if I need more help, this time try to be more quickly.:mrgreen:
Matteo

Post by Matteo »

Sorry dude, I couldn't understand well what you wrote. It's a bit late to reply, I know, but can you explain your post in an easier way? :roll: