MAME/Killer Instinct 2 Problem

Emu Talk Goes Here
ReddMcKnight
128-bit

MAME/Killer Instinct 2 Problem

Post by ReddMcKnight »

Hey all. I've been trying to play Killer Instinct 2 on MAME for a while now, but it never seems to work right. There is always game lag and audio skipping. I'm not sure if it's the game and/or emulator, or my system. Here's my specs:

Windows 7, 32-Bit
3.12 GB of RAM usable
AMD Phenom 9600 Quad-Core Processor 2.30 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650

Anyone know how to fix this problem?
Made by the extremely talented MrAfterFx!
My Blog, Hardcore Old-School: http://www.rfgeneration.com/blogs/ReddMcKnight/
chupon
Next-Gen

Re: MAME/Killer Instinct 2 Problem

Post by chupon »

Buy / Sell / Trade List: viewtopic.php?t=17958
Last updated: 11-10-16

PS3 ID: dakkenblackblade 360 ID: dakkenblackblad
pvt_awol
64-bit

Post by pvt_awol »

^

While normally I would agree with you about just posting a "Hey Google that info", this specific portion of the board has been really dead lately. So could it hurt to have a fresh topic to play with? I mean, are the forum owners paying per new thread now or something?

Having said that, and being a huge MAME enthusiast, I'd love to play around with it a bit and help you out getting it working. Stay tuned for some info.
chupon
Next-Gen

Post by chupon »

We need more information before we can help. Where his ROM came from and what version of MAME you are running. What version of KI2 are you trying to run?

*Check post #14 but read the whole page first. Guy has your problems. Troubleshoots and seems to find a fix with a different file. MAME might not work perfectly ever for the KIs. Might have to use u64EMU.

http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php? ... un-so-slow
Buy / Sell / Trade List: viewtopic.php?t=17958
Last updated: 11-10-16

PS3 ID: dakkenblackblade 360 ID: dakkenblackblad
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

The specs look fine to me, but I know that would be a bit of an intense game to run anyway.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
ReddMcKnight
128-bit

Post by ReddMcKnight »

pvt_awol wrote:^

While normally I would agree with you about just posting a "Hey Google that info", this specific portion of the board has been really dead lately. So could it hurt to have a fresh topic to play with? I mean, are the forum owners paying per new thread now or something?

Having said that, and being a huge MAME enthusiast, I'd love to play around with it a bit and help you out getting it working. Stay tuned for some info.

Alrighty. I will stay tuned. :) I appreciate your assistance with this.
Made by the extremely talented MrAfterFx!
My Blog, Hardcore Old-School: http://www.rfgeneration.com/blogs/ReddMcKnight/
bdlou
32-bit

Post by bdlou »

Since MAME goes for hardware accuracy and not speed, you're probably going to have a tough time getting the results you want. Do some looking around for U64Emu, which is optimized for Killer Instinct emulation.
pvt_awol
64-bit

Post by pvt_awol »

Alright Redd, I finally got around to looking into this. The setup that I'm using for my HTPC is an old AMD Athlon X2 @ 2.4GHZ. (This is a dual core, to your Quad core.) I have the same amount of RAM as you, and a slow 5200 RPM hard drive. My video card is a slim form factor GTX 520. I'm "streaming" my mame games over a wired network from my file server to my HTPC.

On Killer Instinct 2, once the game initially loads, there is no lag, slowdown, sound glitches, nothing. I'm playing @ 1080p on a 55" LCD.

So you've got something wrong in your setup. Your computer is far superior to mine. So let's talk about your Mame install, and what version of the game you are using.

I'm on Mame UI64 0.146u1 (from about June 2012) Now I can't imagine that mine being a 64 bit version, and yours being 32 bit should have anything to do with your performance. We have the same amount of RAM allocated, so the difference in versions shouldn't matter.

The romset that I have is from version 0.139 from approx. Sept. 2010.

I'm using the Killer Instinct 2 CHD though, rather than a typical board version. (I'm not even sure if a PCB version exists.)

So hit us back with your Mame version and Romset version. Which KI2 are you using? CHD?

Also, are you using a front-end loader, or straight MAME? (Keep in mind, I'm using MameUI). Let us know.