Dreamcast Emulation - Can my PC handle it?

Emu Talk Goes Here
ReddMcKnight
128-bit

Dreamcast Emulation - Can my PC handle it?

Post by ReddMcKnight »

Hey all, I wanna play Shenmue on my PC really bad, since I never found a working Dreamcast. That being said, can the following setup handle it?

Windows 7, 32-Bit
3.12 GB of RAM usable
AMD Phenom 9600 Quad-Core Processor 2.30 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650

If more info is needed, just let me know. Thanks!
Made by the extremely talented MrAfterFx!
My Blog, Hardcore Old-School: http://www.rfgeneration.com/blogs/ReddMcKnight/
Sano
Next-Gen

Re: Dreamcast Emulation - Can my PC handle it?

Post by Sano »

Honestly, I say go a head and give it a try. You won't really know until you try. :D
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Post by Hazerd »

Try it and found out, but i think youll be fine, i ran it on a lower spec system than that.
pvt_awol
64-bit

Post by pvt_awol »

I don't see why not. I was running it at great speed and HD resolution with a Phenom X4 and GTX 470.

Your card is much newer and better, and your specs overall seem just fine.

I did have to use different emulators depending on the game that I wanted to play though. NullDC for the most part is 95% of the way there. For the rest I would use Makaron. Experiment with both, but start with NullDC.
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Post by Hazerd »

pvt_awol wrote:I don't see why not. I was running it at great speed and HD resolution with a Phenom X4 and GTX 470.

Your card is much newer and better, and your specs overall seem just fine.

GTX 470 is actually better than a GTX 650, higher series number doesnt always mean better in video cards :D

GTX 470 vs GTX 650 benchmarks
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/681?vs=519
pvt_awol
64-bit

Post by pvt_awol »

^

Damn! I didn't know there was that much of a difference. I suppose I might have been thinking about the 650ti, but really I thought that they'd be a lot closer than that.

While I don't necessarily retract my previous post, I'd edit it to say that you might not be running Dreamcast at full speed in 1080p. You might get some good numbers still with 720p. I can't find any videos to support my claim, but judging from the frame rates that your card outputs for Battlefield 3 and FarCry 3, etc. it should handle the emulator.

Why not just try it? It doesn't cost anything, and if you already have the hardware, it's a win win. (Then save up monies and upgrade your GPU!)
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

ReddMcKnight wrote:Hey all, I wanna play Shenmue on my PC really bad, since I never found a working Dreamcast.

Try an emulator out if you want, but you can find a working Dreamcast for pretty damn cheap.
anonymous1980
8-bit

Post by anonymous1980 »

NullDC 1.0.4 is my favorite DC emulator, it has brilliant compatibility. I've thrown countless games at it, and they all worked fine. I finished both Shenmue games on it without a problem. Also, it'll work on a toaster of a PC. It will work flawlessly on your PC aswell.

I recommend NullDC over any other emulator.
pvt_awol
64-bit

Post by pvt_awol »

^

agreed, except for Dead or Alive.

I went looking for a full speed way to play this, and was only ever able to get an arcade Naomi version working. Do you know some settings that you'd like to share? (If you've gotten good speed from NullDC with DOA?)
anonymous1980
8-bit

Post by anonymous1980 »

I have DoA Ultimate Edition and DoA 3 on my OG Xbox, so i never bothered to test Dead or Alive 2.. What did you try, exactly, to make it run faster?

My settings are normal, sometimes in Options > nullDC settings > Cable Type, i change it around, certain games do not function without a specific cable type. My resolution is set at 720p, that's my sweet spot, in 1080p it lags.