Emu Talk Goes Here
PresidentLeever
128-bit

Which emulator (and version) to use for Soul Star (SCD)?

by PresidentLeever Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:31 am

As the title says, having some trouble running this one properly.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
Nyukki
128-bit

Re: Which emulator (and version) to use for Soul Star (SCD)?

by Nyukki Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:36 am

What issues are you encountering and what system are you trying to emulate on? I use Fusion for all my Windows Sega CD needs.
PresidentLeever
128-bit

by PresidentLeever Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:10 pm

I'm on a laptop PC with Win 7, tried it on Vista previously as well. Hasn't worked in Gens or Fusion for me, meaning it either doesn't boot or it stops working after the first stage. Maybe it's a Bios thing.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
nightrnr
Next-Gen

by nightrnr Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:31 am

PresidentLeever wrote:I'm on a laptop PC with Win 7, tried it on Vista previously as well. Hasn't worked in Gens or Fusion for me, meaning it either doesn't boot or it stops working after the first stage. Maybe it's a Bios thing.

Have you tried turning on "Perfect Synchro" (or whatever it's called). I know Popful Mail requires that to boot up?

If it does at least boot up, I doubt the Bios is to blame.

--EDIT--
Just tried the game on Fusion. I did indeed have to enable Perfect Synchro, but it seemed to work just fine for me. I only played until I got to the 2nd level (free range level).
Hope it works for you :wink:
...just another lost soul...
PresidentLeever
128-bit

by PresidentLeever Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:54 pm

Thanks, that did the trick :D

Seems like a pretty good game actually. Some first impressions:

+
Technically impressive (good use of the addon's scaling and rotation, good use of colour)
Good art direction and decent cgi cutscenes for the time (very low colour count though)
Mixes on-rails and free roaming stages with different objectives (pre-Star Fox 64)
Voiced step by step mission briefings with nice wire-frame models of your targets
Control and sound options
Fun and varied weapons (gun drones, smart bombs, homing missiles, air to ground bombs, lasers)

+/-
No life refill after completing a mission
Power ups need to be shot once to 'activate' (transforms them into a circle that you need to fly through to get the effect)
Unlimited Continues?

-
Controls could've been better (no speed adjustment, somewhat slow turning controls)
Depth perception is pretty hard (some objects seem to hit slightly before they reach your ship)
Annoying smoke trail on your ship when you're one hit from death (transparency/dithering would've helped here)
Can't access mission briefings or game options while in-game (the latter is annoying since you'll have to play until the second stage to realise that you want to have the Special button next to the Shot button)
Steep difficulty curve (stage 2 is much harder than stage 1 and the last step of the mission is somewhat vaguely described)
Very busy/pixelated backgrounds in some of the free-roaming stages
Somewhat weak explosion sounds overall (more of a quiet rumble than an explosion sound)

I'd say it's definitely worth trying if you like Galaxy Force or Star Fox.
Return to Emulation