State of Console Emulation - November 2013

Emu Talk Goes Here
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Re: State of Console Emulation - November 2013

Post by GSZX1337 »

fastbilly1 wrote:I have not tried Ootake since version 1.00. Is it better now? I see that v2.74 just released two weeks ago, I might have to give it another run tonight.

I haven't messed around with it too much, but it seems pretty good to me. I was able to play through Splatterhouse with Ootake. I also used it to test drive some other games like Shock Man and Avenger.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

My TG-16/PCE & CD emulator of choice is TurboEngine. It's based off the same code as Kega Fusion, the interface is near similar, and it runs cards and CDs very well.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Post by Hazerd »

We should have a list of consoles that can emulate other consoles, i know for sure im going to put some CFW on a PS3 once sony stops supporting PSN on it.

Right now my Wii is my ultimate console for emulating other consoles, but it can only go as far as N64/PS1/Saturn, and that emulation is horrible, but works great for anything 4th generation and under.

This is excluding handhelds, but the Wii emulates the GBA great.
anonymous1980
8-bit

Post by anonymous1980 »

Saturn emulation (SSF) has been good since early 2006 (0.08 version) and is now pretty much perfection (0.12 last time i checked).

I play my original discs through the emulator, and all of the games in my collection are practically flawless. It doesn't even need BIOS to function. It's a perfect alternative, as far as i'm concerned. And it's leagues above N64 emulation, so i don't quite know why anyone would think that the emulation isn't good enough.

NullDC 1.0.4 and its revisions is a fantastic Dreamcast emulator aswell. I've thrown countless well known and obscure games and they worked perfectly fine to completion, with a minimal amount of graphical issues that i barely encountered.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

fastbilly1 wrote:5th Generation
Nintendo 64 – Project64 (while some games still have issues, it plays most games well enough for most people).

I'm in this boat. The games that I want to play are either slow or have issues.

ExedExes wrote:My TG-16/PCE & CD emulator of choice is TurboEngine. It's based off the same code as Kega Fusion, the interface is near similar, and it runs cards and CDs very well.

I hadn't heard of this emulator before. I think I'll use it on my XBMC box and see if it plays nicely.

anonymous1980 wrote:Saturn emulation (SSF) has been good since early 2006 (0.08 version) and is now pretty much perfection (0.12 last time i checked). I play my original discs through the emulator, and all of the games in my collection are practically flawless. It doesn't even need BIOS to function.

I've messed with it a bit and it seems pretty good. At first I thought it was shit, but when I used a BIOS it ran much better. A BIOS may not be required, but it does help a lot with the performance.

And it's leagues above N64 emulation

Damn straight.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

In terms of Genesis emulation, please do not overlook Gens.

I personally prefer KEGA Fusion, but I think Gens has an easy-to-use interface for beginners.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gens/
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Anyone more up to date on emulation than I am care to chime in with updates?

I know we have PS3, Wiiu, and 3ds emulation now but have not used them.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

fastbilly1 wrote:Anyone more up to date on emulation than I am care to chime in with updates?

I know we have PS3, Wiiu, and 3ds emulation now but have not used them.

Wow, go check out my most recent suggestion from this morning in the "Booting Up Content" thread. Goes hand and hand with this thread I didn't know existed.

I think "The State of 3DS Emulation in 2017" would be a great article.

I recently saw this thread on Atari Age regarding WiiU emulation. I did not know this was even a thing! Might be of interest. Folks are running Zelda Breath of the Wild. Need a beasty PC rig though.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

KEGA is still incredible, I'm still on 3.63 and maybe there's newer releases
snes9x 1.54
gambatte_qt_win32-r571 for GB/GBC
fceux-2.2.2-win32 for NES

That's what I'm running lately in my emulation binge.

Any suggestions on PCE/CD emulators?

I get a bit too lazy on post 16bit emulation and since that stuff is more widely available I'd rather just still stick to the hardware, unless it's stuff we never got in the US or something.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Jagosaurus wrote:Wow, go check out my most recent suggestion from this morning in the "Booting Up Content" thread. Goes hand and hand with this thread I didn't know existed.

Thats fortuitous, I posted the bump to this before I even looked at the other threads. I like to stay on top of emulation, but I have been out of that world for the last few months.