State of Console Emulation - November 2013

Emu Talk Goes Here
fastbilly1
Site Admin

State of Console Emulation - November 2013

Post by fastbilly1 »

So a question that has been rolling around in my mind for the past few days is why is there not a quick list of where we are with emulation. Meaning what consoles are emulated and to what level. What spurred this is actually arion's topic about the Zinc emulator:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=44640
Where he had no idea that the Sony ZN hardware was emulated so he could play Street Fighter EX.

So where are we in console emulation today?

Breaking it down by generations (per wikipedia) and on Windows. These are emulated to the level that most people dont know the difference:
1st Generation:
While they are not all emulated, the Maganvox Odyssey is via Odyemy and well lets be honest, they are mostly pong machines.

2nd Generation:
Fairchild Channel F - MESS
Atari 2600 - Stella
Odyssey2 - O2EM
Intellivision - Intelliware
Atari 5200 - Atari 800

3rd Generation:
SG 1000 - Bee
NES - FCEUx, but if you want 100% - Nestopia
Master System - MEKA or RetroCopy
Atari 7800 - EMU7800

4th Generation
Mega Drive/Sega Genesis - KEGA Fusion, but if you want 100% - Exodus
SNES/SFC - Snes9x, but if you want 100% - Bsnes
PCEngine/Turbo Grafix16 - Hu Go, Ootake, or Magic Engine (Magic Engine is not free)
Neogeo AES – Nebula – runs all AES and MVS titles

5th Generation
Playstation – ePSXe or PCSX
Nintendo 64 – Project64 (while some games still have issues, it plays most games well enough for most people).
Neogeo CD – Nebula – runs the handful of exclusive CD titles well, and for the others you can just play the AES or MVS version

The following are broken down by generation and are not at a level where people consider it good enough:
3rd Generation
Action Max - SINGE - due to the game medium being VHS tapes this one may never be 100%.

4th Generation
CDI - cdiemu - poor compatibility and still needs alot of work but is being developed by one man.

5th Generation
3do – FreeDo – It has updated since I last used it, but the new compatibility list is down. Id put it at about 80% complete
Atari Jaguar – Virtual Jaguar – sadly the last update broke some compatibility, but the team is still working on it. CD support is soon.
Sega Saturn – SSF – it is almost at a level where most people don’t care though.
FM Towns Marty – UNZ
Amiga CD32 – WINUAE – runs most Amiga games fine, has trouble with a large chunk of the CD32 library.
PCFX – Xe
Apple Pippin – MESS
Playdia – None
Casio Loopy – MESS

6th Generation
Dreamcast – NullDc and Demul – Both have compatibility issues with most Windows CE games and flagship sports titles.
Playstation 2 – PCSX2 – it is getting close, but still lacking in compatibility
Gamecube – Dolphin – in two years it will be better than using a console on most pcs. It is almost there right now just is still having issues with a large chunk of titles.
Xbox – Dxbx – very much in its infancy but is showing progress

7th Generation
Wii – Dolphin – See Gamecube

If yall have differing opinions, that's cool, this is just based on my experience.

Edit - list has been updated with others suggestions.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: State of Console Emulation - November 2013

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Good list...

Any chance you want to add handheld/computer emulators - or would the list get too huge?

And for the record, there's an emulator called "Atari 800" that also emulates 5200 games, correct? I assume you're not talking about the actual piece of hardware.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Good list...

Any chance you want to add handheld/computer emulators - or would the list get too huge?

And for the record, there's an emulator called "Atari 800" that also emulated 5200 games, correct? I assume you're not talking about the actual piece of hardware.

I was thinking we could do one of Handhelds and one of Arcades.

And yes, it is an emulator:
http://atari800.sourceforge.net/
Ack

Post by Ack »

But what about the Action Max?
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Ack wrote:But what about the Action Max?

Good catch - updated
Thierry Henry
Next-Gen

Post by Thierry Henry »

"There are three kinds of suns in Missouri: Sunshines, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches"
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

Have you considered the TG-16 emulator Ootake? I saw Hu-Go and Magic Engine, but not Ootake.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

GSZX1337 wrote:Have you considered the TG-16 emulator Ootake? I saw Hu-Go and Magic Engine, but not Ootake.

+1, this is what I've used in the past for any PCE emulation needs.

Also, what about nullDC? I thought Demul had gone stagnant?
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Thierry Henry wrote:I usually keep tabs on this list,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_vi ... _emulators

Thats a pretty handy list. But with all the emulators on there its kinda overwhelming. Like on the NES section there are 21 emulators, and alot of them could be written off - like Nesticle which has not updated since 1998.

GSZX1337 wrote:Have you considered the TG-16 emulator Ootake? I saw Hu-Go and Magic Engine, but not Ootake.

I have not tried Ootake since version 1.00. Is it better now? I see that v2.74 just released two weeks ago, I might have to give it another run tonight.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

TSTR wrote:
GSZX1337 wrote:Also, what about nullDC? I thought Demul had gone stagnant?

Demul had a release last Wednesday:
http://demul.emulation64.com/
I was under the impression that nullDC was dead, but I see I am incorrect and they had an update in February. I will update the first post.