Wii doesn't seem to be able to read my external harddrive

Emu Talk Goes Here
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

Wii doesn't seem to be able to read my external harddrive

Post by Violent By Design »

I've had my external harddrive plugged in my Wii for along time, self admittedly it is pretty old (it's western digital if this makes a difference) and I haven't used my Wii in months. I was starting up my Wii to see what games I had on there and it didn't read it for some reason.

I just plugged in the HD into my desktop to see if it got any errors, and it seems to say everything is fine. I did have problems with the HD like a year ago, but I reset it when I decided to mod my Wii.

Not really sure what's up.
EllertMichael
Next-Gen

Re: Wii doesn't seem to be able to read my external harddriv

Post by EllertMichael »

Is it plugged into the correct USB port in the Wii?
IIRC there are two USB ports, but only one of them can be used to read an external HDD

I've also got a WD HDD for my Wii, so if you figure out what's up, please post your findings :wink:
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

EllertMichael wrote:Is it plugged into the correct USB port in the Wii?
IIRC there are two USB ports, but only one of them can be used to read an external HDD

I've also got a WD HDD for my Wii, so if you figure out what's up, please post your findings :wink:

Yes, it's plugged in the correct port (the bottom one is the one that reads externals).

It's possible that the last time I used it I might have uploaded a game that might have been corrupted. I read that if you have a game that is corrupted it would ruin all the data on the drive. I do remember trying to get a working copy of Sonic Colors on here, so maybe that's what did it. Though I do have other WBFS files that worked fine on it.

I'm thinking of clearing it again, maybe I added a file that only works for WBFS when the harddrive is set to Fat32.
EllertMichael
Next-Gen

Post by EllertMichael »

Hmm... I've added games that didn't work before and it didn't affect other games on the HDD (luckily) :?

Maybe try just deleting the Sonic Colors folder before clearing the whole thing?
A quick google search comes up as 'SNCE8P'
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

EllertMichael wrote:Hmm... I've added games that didn't work before and it didn't affect other games on the HDD (luckily) :?

Maybe try just deleting the Sonic Colors folder before clearing the whole thing?
A quick google search comes up as 'SNCE8P'

Hm...my desktop seems to be able to read the harddrive and check its status, but I can't seem to open it. I'm pretty sure I set it to Hardrive :A, but it doesn't show up anywhere, even when I search for it.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

I was modding my friend's Wii last night, and when I tried to load his USB stick via USB Loader GX (The Loader that I use for my external), it would not recognize it. However, when I tried to load it using Configurable USB Loader, it popped up just fine. My External would show up on his Wii using GX, but for some reason that loader did not want to recognize his USB device.

Could be something to try out at least.

Edit: also, if your setup is like mine, and your USB is configured to WBFS, then your computer shouldn't be able to look at it without a program like WiiModManager or WBFS Manager. Have you tried loading up with one of these programs to make sure everything is in order?
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

dunpeal2064 wrote:I was modding my friend's Wii last night, and when I tried to load his USB stick via USB Loader GX (The Loader that I use for my external), it would not recognize it. However, when I tried to load it using Configurable USB Loader, it popped up just fine. My External would show up on his Wii using GX, but for some reason that loader did not want to recognize his USB device.
Yeah, USB Loader never worked for me, I've always used Configurable USB Loader, but it doesn't pick it up.

Edit: also, if your setup is like mine, and your USB is configured to WBFS, then your computer shouldn't be able to look at it without a program like WiiModManager or WBFS Manager. Have you tried loading up with one of these programs to make sure everything is in order?

My USB is set to Fat32. But I did try what you suggested, and my programs can't seem to find the harddrive >.>.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

I've actually never tried loading Wii games in Fat32 format. Before I had realized that it was possible, I already had everything set up for WBFS. I wish I had them in FAT32 though, so that I could load GC games from the same drive.

I'm not sure the programs I mentioned would be of any use if your drive is in FAT32, but usually a pc can look into a drive of that format without 3rd party software, right? I know that, when I mod people's Wii, and format their SD Card to FAT32, the comp can read it just fine. So, there could be some corruption going on :(
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

dunpeal2064 wrote:I've actually never tried loading Wii games in Fat32 format. Before I had realized that it was possible, I already had everything set up for WBFS. I wish I had them in FAT32 though, so that I could load GC games from the same drive.

I'm not sure the programs I mentioned would be of any use if your drive is in FAT32, but usually a pc can look into a drive of that format without 3rd party software, right? I know that, when I mod people's Wii, and format their SD Card to FAT32, the comp can read it just fine. So, there could be some corruption going on :(

Yeah, I think I might have to wipe the harddrive clean. Not a big deal, but I did have bout 10 hours on Xenoblade in there.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Is anyone familiar with the conversion from WBFS to Fat32 or NTFS? I have a sizable harddrive with my Wii games on it and I would love to throw all my Gamecube games on it aswell.