MAME EMULATION ON SEGA DREAMCAST

Emu Talk Goes Here
Tweekers237
8-bit

MAME EMULATION ON SEGA DREAMCAST

Post by Tweekers237 »

SIAP.

I just grabbed a sweet, barely touched DC (with nifty carrying case) on ebay for peanuts. Im looking to use it strictly for playing the MAME emulator. I owned a DC before and I had a NESter disc but this was all damaged in a flood.

Basically, Im looking for some tips as to how to actually make my own MAME disc and also any tips or suggestions in doing this.

Im getting into collecting so I still play on my now "RETRO" systems and I do purchase the games and hardware. However since Im not in the market for Arcade style cabinets Im looking to have this DC strictly for MAME programs.

PLEASE HALP! :D
Holla
8bit
Next-Gen

Re: MAME EMULATION ON SEGA DREAMCAST

Post by 8bit »

ALL you want to do is play MAME on a Dreamcast? :? :cry: :evil:
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |
Tweekers237
8-bit

Post by Tweekers237 »

On this particular Dreamcast, yes. It looks like its never been played so Im hesitant of even playing anything on it. Plus it came in a sweet nylon case. Its basically a near-mint condition system so I don't want to have too much wear on it. I may buy a more banged up one and just keep that one in a closet.

I know there are great games on DC but i actually have a few on XBL at the moment. Im determined to figure out this emulation thing.
Holla
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

Post by Valkyrie-Favor »

The Dreamcast is a fairly weak choice as far as emulation goes. It can barely emulate the Genesis properly.

Your best bet with MAME is to look for pre-made ROMS on dciszone.
Tsun tsun dere tsun dere tsun tsun~ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UPDATED trade list
noiseredux wrote:Playing on your GBA/PSP you can be watching a movie/TV show/playing another RPG on your TV and then just look at the screen every once in a while
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

Honestly, I wouldn't use a Dreamcast for emulation. There's much better choices out there like the Xbox, Wii, etc. Personally, I'd build a PC with badass parts loaded with Maximus Arcade. Also, I think it's a real shame to have a Dreamcast only for emulation.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

Valkyrie-Favor wrote:The Dreamcast is a fairly weak choice as far as emulation goes. It can barely emulate the Genesis properly.

Your best bet with MAME is to look for pre-made ROMS on dciszone.

Couldn't agree more.

A PC that is several years old would be a better choice for emulation over the DC.
Tweekers237
8-bit

Post by Tweekers237 »

LOL!

Again, the Dreamcast I just bought is in such good condition I really don't want to use it that much. After reading the responses Im gonna look elsewhere.

I had a Dreamcast and I understand that the games are great but thats not my focus ATM. Im really accumulating systems id like to have and then we will pick and choose what games we want. I want to have a system for emulation because . . . why not? That and Im not in the market for a PC right now.

I have been reading however that XBOX and especially Wii are better options for emulation. I have a dusty original xbox and I may go that route, and Ive been looking at Wii systems.

Not a fan of Wii at all for their games so I would have no qualm Modding one for what I require.

Thanx for the link however! Back to surfin the web.
Holla
EllertMichael
Next-Gen

Post by EllertMichael »

here's an old one: http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/dre ... ames/mame/

obviously the compatibility list isn't all that great for DC arcade emulation, but it's definitely novel and pretty cool that it even exists at all.

if you're going to get serious about emulating, a PC will keep you UTD with current builds of MAME, etc.
...but an oXbox with CoinOps5 Full is nothing to scoff at 8)
Tweekers237
8-bit

Post by Tweekers237 »

EllertMichael wrote:here's an old one: http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/dre ... ames/mame/

obviously the compatibility list isn't all that great for DC arcade emulation, but it's definitely novel and pretty cool that it even exists at all.

if you're going to get serious about emulating, a PC will keep you UTD with current builds of MAME, etc.
...but an oXbox with CoinOps5 Full is nothing to scoff at 8)

Hmmmmm. . .

Clearly Im new to this kind of thing and im technologically challenged for the most part.

I own an onld xbox and I have a spare 360. Has anyone modded either of these systems? I wouldnt mind giving it a try on the 360 since its fully operational and Id assume it'd be "better" on a 360.

Is this process easier on the Wii? Are Modkits reliable?

Thanks for the help and suggestions again guys.
Holla
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

Post by Valkyrie-Favor »

The Wii would be the easiest. Simple softmod, no hardware or chips required at all.
Tsun tsun dere tsun dere tsun tsun~ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UPDATED trade list
noiseredux wrote:Playing on your GBA/PSP you can be watching a movie/TV show/playing another RPG on your TV and then just look at the screen every once in a while