MAME EMULATION ON SEGA DREAMCAST

Emu Talk Goes Here
EllertMichael
Next-Gen

Re: MAME EMULATION ON SEGA DREAMCAST

Post by EllertMichael »

Tweekers237 wrote:Hmmmmm. . .

Clearly Im new to this kind of thing and im technologically challenged for the most part.

I own an onld xbox and I have a spare 360. Has anyone modded either of these systems? I wouldnt mind giving it a try on the 360 since its fully operational and Id assume it'd be "better" on a 360.

Is this process easier on the Wii? Are Modkits reliable?

Thanks for the help and suggestions again guys.

Wii is indeed easy to mod, however it's more suited towards console emulation.

If it's arcade emulation you're after the oXbox with an upgraded HDD is your best bet.

You would think 360 would have the better emulation being the more powerful machine, however it seems most of the emulator work being done right now is more geared towards the oXbox. For example, CoinOps is not supported by the 360. There are builds of FBA for JTAG/RGH 360s, but they are a bit older than what's currently available for the hacked oXbox, which results in some games running with sound problems, or just not running at all.

If you're not too concerned about having the most UTD compatibility with thousands of ROMs, the creators of CoinOps have put out VISIONARY, which is a pretty snazzy looking set-up.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Though not the best Mame EMU console, the Dreamcast works fine with older Arcade Roms. Look for WOW MAME or the individual Arcade Emulator sets.

Here are a few:
http://imrtechnology.ngemu.com/emulators.htm
http://imrtechnology.ngemu.com/sga.htm
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Nyukki
128-bit

Post by Nyukki »

This thread's a little old, but I just wanted to say....

Whenever I think of MAME I automatically think "random old Pentium 4 plus USB joystick and BAM!"

I mean, I know having an old PC tower in your living room isn't the most aesthetically pleasing, but seriously, people throw these old towers out and they are perfect for emulating up to N64. In my old place, I had a PC from my office they were throwing out because it had a "virus". Reinstalled XP and GameEX and BOOM! Done.

Currently I have a more up to date HTPC which cost about $500 when I bought it and it emulates everything up to PS2 very well, but if MAME is your only concern (bar 3D fighters like Tekken etc., in which case get the Zinc emulator), then scour craigslist/gumtree/local business parks/even trash dumps for old P4's. Job done!
theclaw
Next-Gen

Post by theclaw »

I'll also chime in saying Wii is more newbie friendly.
Xbox has greater horsepower, but no official 240p video so classic games may not look as accurate depending on situation.
Lum fan.
arion
Next-Gen

Post by arion »

Speaking of emulation for the Dreamcast you can find a boot cd for Neo Geo Cd and then run a burned copy of a neo geo cd game. I had a good time playing Metal Slug on the Dreamcast that way.

check it :D

http://dcemulation.org/?title=NEO4ALL

alas all i know about getting mame on a dreamcast is getting a premade iso but i hope this is at least an interesting idea.
Nyukki
128-bit

Post by Nyukki »

^Neato! Might give that a go while I wait for my wife to approve the purchase of a NGCD.