Bought a superufo pro 8 and saving sucks. Alternatives?

Emu Talk Goes Here
treepop
24-bit

Bought a superufo pro 8 and saving sucks. Alternatives?

Post by treepop »

Hey there. After looking at a bunch of review sites, the only negative thing I read about the superufo pro 8 was that it lied about being able to play games with special chips. Honestly, I didn't care about that and for the price of the sd2snes I could just buy the actual games I liked.

Unfortunately I didn't realize how much I would HATE having to save, power down, power back on, transfer UFO SRAM to SD, every time I wanted to save. And every time I want to play that same game later I have to load the game to dram then load the sram to dram. SUCH a hassle.

Is there something that just feels like I am playing the actual cart? When I load a game, I want the saves to just show up. I also want it to be reliable.

I actually own super mario rpg and the stupid battery is dying :( So I am even more motivated to get something super reliable and seemless.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
treepop
24-bit

Re: Bought a superufo pro 8 and saving sucks. Alternatives?

Post by treepop »

Still irritated with it. Anyone have a recommendation? I just want to pop in a muli cart, select my game, save when I wanna sleep, play 1500 different games, wait 5 years, then come back to my save file with absolutely no worries it will be gone and no hassles with hitting reset before turning it off.

Is this possible?
irixith
Next-Gen

Post by irixith »

There's a reason the SD2SNES is the best cart. It sounds like you already know it, you just don't want to pay for it, and really no matter how you look at it, it's a great value.
chumpitacs
8-bit

Post by chumpitacs »

I bought one, I have no problem with the way it saves. I played through link to the past and mega man and bass on it. You don't have to load the game into the dram first. I just load the save file and then just choose play from sd card.

I also have a separate folder that I put all my saves in and put a number for the first character. This is so I know which save is latest one. I could go back to mine in 5 years and figure out which save is what.

It's just about keeping it all organized. It's 50 bucks to be able to play almost every snes game, including fan made hacks and translations, on the actual console. It's not perfect and the way it saves is its biggest downfall but for the price I get over it. Just figure out your own way of organizing everything and maybe it won't bother you as much.
treepop
24-bit

Post by treepop »

irixith wrote:There's a reason the SD2SNES is the best cart. It sounds like you already know it, you just don't want to pay for it, and really no matter how you look at it, it's a great value.

I actually didn't know that. Thanks. Is the SD2SNES better than the everdrive for saving.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Mine hasn't arrived in the mail yet, but, yes.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
treepop
24-bit

Post by treepop »

Is there a video of the save feature of the sd2snes vs the everdrive? I only have the pce everdrive which uses my turbo duos onboard ram for saves. So I've never experienced the way the super everdrive saves.
Last edited by treepop on Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

treepop wrote:I actually own super mario rpg and the stupid battery is dying :( So I am even more motivated to get something super reliable and seemless.

Replace the battery, its super easy

Soldering irons are like $8 at radio shack, the tabbed battery is like $1, and the little security bit to open it up is like $5 shipped
treepop
24-bit

Post by treepop »

ninjainspandex wrote:
treepop wrote:I actually own super mario rpg and the stupid battery is dying :( So I am even more motivated to get something super reliable and seemless.

Replace the battery, its super easy

Soldering irons are like $8 at radio shack, the tabbed battery is like $1, and the little security bit to open it up is like $5 shipped

Right, but games where I like to obsessively level, while not an snes game ps4 comes to mind, will be lost upon battery death eventually.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

well the battery should last at least 10 years, are you seriously going to level for 10 years...