Emu Talk Goes Here
User avatar
r0bot j0nes
16-bit
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:32 pm
Location: New York, NY

Emulation on the 3DS?

by r0bot j0nes Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:25 pm

Now that Link to the Past 2 has been announced, I'm definitely buying a 3DS. :D

Also, I was thinking of picking up a GP32X Wiz or Caanoo for emulation on the go (NES/SNES/Genesis/GB/GBA/MAME), but if the 3DS can do so, I'll just nab one of those.

Are there any methods of emulating classics on the 3DS? If not, are they on the horizon?
User avatar
Hazerd
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 3384
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Emulation on the 3DS?

by Hazerd Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:31 pm

No flashcarts for the 3DS currently, but you can emulate gameboy and genesis games on a original DS flashcart.

Also i would suggest a PSP for emulating over a GP32.
Image
Image
AppleQueso
 

Re: Emulation on the 3DS?

by AppleQueso Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:33 pm

PSPs are nice little emulation gadgets. They're fairly inexpensive now, there's quality built-in Ps1 emulation (and some nice tools online to convert your own Ps1 iso rips into games that work on the PSP) and the retail PSP library has a lot of nice games on top of that.
User avatar
fastbilly1
Site Admin
 
Posts: 13646
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:08 pm

Re: Emulation on the 3DS?

by fastbilly1 Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:50 pm

Hazerd wrote:No flashcarts for the 3DS currently, but you can emulate gameboy and genesis games on a original DS flashcart.

Along with NES, some SNES (anything with Mode7 is out though), TG16/PCE, and GB/GBC.

So it is possible in some regards, but like others said there are better options. Personally if I were buying a device now I would go for an android device like the JXD S7300. Its $160ish on Amazon and runs alot of things well.
User avatar
r0bot j0nes
16-bit
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:32 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: Emulation on the 3DS?

by r0bot j0nes Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:55 pm

Hazerd wrote:No flashcarts for the 3DS currently, but you can emulate gameboy and genesis games on a original DS flashcart.

Also i would suggest a PSP for emulating over a GP32.


I used to own a PSP Slim (2000 model), and had it hacked by a friend at college who was keen on how to do that. Has it gotten any easier, or do I still have to buy a special battery and the like?
AppleQueso
 

Re: Emulation on the 3DS?

by AppleQueso Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:16 pm

r0bot j0nes wrote:
Hazerd wrote:No flashcarts for the 3DS currently, but you can emulate gameboy and genesis games on a original DS flashcart.

Also i would suggest a PSP for emulating over a GP32.


I used to own a PSP Slim (2000 model), and had it hacked by a friend at college who was keen on how to do that. Has it gotten any easier, or do I still have to buy a special battery and the like?


Much much easier. All you have to do is load and run a few update files onto a memory stick.
AppleQueso
 

Re: Emulation on the 3DS?

by AppleQueso Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:17 pm

Also thanks to this thread I now know exactly what happened to robot jones.
User avatar
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4573
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: Hartland Wisconsin

Re: Emulation on the 3DS?

by ninjainspandex Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:30 pm

AppleQueso wrote:
r0bot j0nes wrote:
Hazerd wrote:No flashcarts for the 3DS currently, but you can emulate gameboy and genesis games on a original DS flashcart.

Also i would suggest a PSP for emulating over a GP32.


I used to own a PSP Slim (2000 model), and had it hacked by a friend at college who was keen on how to do that. Has it gotten any easier, or do I still have to buy a special battery and the like?


Much much easier. All you have to do is load and run a few update files onto a memory stick.

yeah modding a psp now days is ridiculously easy, will literally take you 1 min to do

here is the site I used, really doesnt get any easier than this. http://wololo.net/cfw4dummies/
Image
User avatar
r0bot j0nes
16-bit
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:32 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: Emulation on the 3DS?

by r0bot j0nes Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:09 am

AppleQueso wrote:Also thanks to this thread I now know exactly what happened to robot jones.


I was waiting for someone here to say that. ;D

Thanks for the help guys, I'm just gonna grab a used PSP and yam on that.
User avatar
lisalover1
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4964
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:50 am
Location: Redmond, WA

Re: Emulation on the 3DS?

by lisalover1 Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:18 am

r0bot j0nes wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:Also thanks to this thread I now know exactly what happened to robot jones.


I was waiting for someone here to say that. ;D

Thanks for the help guys, I'm just gonna grab a used PSP and yam on that.

You've made the right decision; a hacked PSP with a high-capacity memory stick is still the most versatile gaming device you can own.
Image
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
Return to Emulation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests