3DO emulation - is it viable?

Emu Talk Goes Here
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

3DO emulation - is it viable?

Post by Violent By Design »

There was a thread in another section asking if the 3DO is worth a buy, and for whatever reason I've become interested in buying one.

But I'm having a hard time waiting for me to save up money, there are like 3 games that I'd like to play on the 3DO (and a few others that I'm luke warm), I was wondering, are emulators for 3DO any good?
8bit
Next-Gen

Re: 3DO emulation - is it viable?

Post by 8bit »

I tried the emulator FreeDO a long time ago and it ran like crap. I doubt its had much development or support in the past 5 years so I imagine it would still be pretty poor. Give it a try though. You have nothing to lose.
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |
tintinmayo
24-bit

Post by tintinmayo »

4DO has since overtaken FreeDo when it comes to compatibility. It's slower but PCs these days should have no problem getting fullspeed on games that can go fullspeed. I haven't tried it much, but Yuu Yuu Hakusho ran fine (although the game was bad and had absolutely nothing on the Genesis hakusho game).
IhatedSega
8-bit

Post by IhatedSega »

Yesterday I started downloading iso's of the games I want and Ill try out 4DO, tell you how it is.
AmishSamurai
Next-Gen

Post by AmishSamurai »

Are there any games on the 3DO that are exclusive/the superior port even worth emulating? If you need your Plumbers Don't Wear Ties fix that badly I guess but still.
MrPopo wrote:The life lesson here is jobs will come and go, but Earthbound will always be there for you.

I'm a girl btw
SpoonyBard
128-bit

Post by SpoonyBard »

Killing Time is about the only worthwhile game I can think of.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

AmishSamurai wrote:Are there any games on the 3DO that are exclusive/the superior port even worth emulating? If you need your Plumbers Don't Wear Ties fix that badly I guess but still.

But there's a free port of that game to Youtube! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjMAG5IDnek&feature=player_embedded#!
Hatta
Next-Gen

Post by Hatta »

3DO has the definitive versions of Road Rash and Need For Speed. I'm not even a big racing fan and I love these. Burning Soldier, Star Blade, Blade Force, Novastorm, and Total Eclipse are all fun shooters. FIFA is pretty great if you like soccer games. Lucienne's Quest is a nice JRPG. Battlesport is a great update of Ballblazer.

Yes the library is hit and miss, but there are enough hits to make it worth some time. The misses are fun too sometimes. IMO, buy an FZ-10. If you keep your eyes out you can get one for less than $50. They do play CDRs.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

AmishSamurai wrote:Are there any games on the 3DO that are exclusive/the superior port even worth emulating? If you need your Plumbers Don't Wear Ties fix that badly I guess but still.

Yes. Two of the best 1990s RPGs, Lucienne's Quest and Guardian War, are 3DO exclusives (at least in the US).

I really want to try 4DO just for Lucienne's Quest. I had FreeDO years ago and it was pretty bad.