Should I just emulate?

Emu Talk Goes Here
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Should I just emulate?

Post by Exhuminator »

samsonlonghair wrote:I'm not really familiar with CRT plugins. Do they work well? Is the difference noticeable? What should I look for?

I'm short on time right now, so I can't go into the ridiculously excruciating detail I normally do, but here's two links to get you started:

http://www.tested.com/tech/gaming/2982- ... mes-on-pc/

http://fantasyanime.com/emuhelp/#emulators
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Exhuminator wrote:People play emulated games on laptop LCD screens with clicky keyboards and be like "emulation sucks it feels so fake". Really? Why ever could that be?

That, right there. I honestly cannot understand why folks insist playing on a keyboard. Well, I understand, but authentic it is not.
chuckster
32-bit

Post by chuckster »

samsonlonghair wrote:I'm not really familiar with CRT plugins. Do they work well? Is the difference noticeable? What should I look for?

If you're using Retroarch, shader plugin support takes emulation to another level. It's the next best thing to a PVM, and I'd go so far as to say it makes the expense of an XRGB unnecessary.

Start at the Filthypants blog for more info on what shaders you think would work for you, and then go to the libretro github and grab the shaders you like, or all of them and test each out on your display, which I recommend.

link:
https://github.com/libretro/common-shaders (download as zip and unpack in the RA shader directory)

To emulate CRT, I recommend three cases (I use 1.2.2 so this information may have changed slightly since that release):

CRT-Royale
This is the king of accessible CRT emulation as far as I'm concerned. The default settings look pretty bad, and if you asked me before looking into it, I wouldn't have even guessed it was a CRT shader. Once you tweak it though, it delivers the most pleasing scanline emulation, with a tweakable TVL spec, glow and halation, color bleed, mask type, and geometry. I looked into a thread over at Shmups and used the settings by a user there named Kurozumi as a basis for my experimentation, I eventually tweaked a few things to emulate a BVM.

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=51298&p=1135007&hilit=shader+thread#p1135007 thread over at Shmups

The settings I used are quoted in that latest post, and is a great start. If you're interested in what I changed and what I found through experimentation after that, let me know.

The downside to Royale is that it uses 12 passes of shaders to achieve its power and versatility. There is a lighter version as well, but it is still a very heavy multi-pass shader and crippled an old Dual-Core 2 Lakka box when used with Bsnes. Use with caution, or just use...

CRT-Geom/Hylian

These two shaders are both very good for simple scanline emulation, with a few strong features. They're much lighter than Royale, and will get you 90% there if you're looking for the crisp PVM look. The scanlines aren't quite as defined and the options are slim, but I wouldn't hesitate to use either if I couldn't use Royale. I can't recommend one over the other since they have different strengths. Geom, as the name implies, gives you geometry control so you can go for the "bubble" or "barrel" look of old tubes, and Hylian is the lightest quality CRT shader in two ways; it displays the least added lag in tests by Filthypants, and it integrates a glow and halation control which is a big part of emulating the phosphorescence of CRTs.

The only issue I've ever had is with a flickering effect with the more standard CRT shaders, especially evident on the PS1 boot screen in Mednafen, in which case I use...

Lottes

The Lottes CRT shader is a big name in the small pond of CRT emulation. It was originally made for use in MAME, and that's where I first ran into it. I don't like it very much in comparison to the shaders I listed above; it looks a little basic and less polished than the others, with a very prominent "overlay" feel. It gives basic control over geometry, and attempts to emulate an arcade-style shadow mask. The upside to this presentation is that the flicker effect isn't an issue here, and tstill looks good enough to recommend, at least for MAME and Mednafen if the others give you trouble.

I hope this helps! Oh, and for any of these, make sure you use Integer scaling if you can. On a 1080p set it chops off some of the top and bottom of the image, but without it, you'll get uneven scanlines on 240p and 288p scaling. I don't think this is as much of an issue on 1200p or on 4k screens.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Thanks, Chuckster.
marlowe221
Next-Gen

Post by marlowe221 »

I have decided to mostly emulate at this point. My reasons why are mostly lifestyle/physical space oriented and I outlined them in the "Do You Have Any Unpopular Gaming Opinions?" thread in the General Discussion section of the forum.

The TL;DR version is this - Space is limited at our house, we are moving to another city in 2 months and will live in an even smaller house (that we already own, that's how I know), AND to top it all off we just had our first child 8 weeks ago.

Also, I have caught myself buying games that I have no intention of actually playing because... they look cool or the internet says they are "must own" games. I have gradually become a collector and I don't want to be one! (Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just not for me).

I intend to sell off everything "retro" except my Genesis and Atari 2600 and 7800 and emulate everything else. Modern emulators, shaders, and USB adapters make emulation a much better experience than it was in the early 90s.
Have: Sega Genesis, SNES, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Atari 800XL, PC, N3DS XL, Wii U, GBA, Xbox One, Switch

Want: Games!!!