Best Controller for N64 Emulation that isn't..

Emu Talk Goes Here
IhatedSega
8-bit

Re: Best Controller for N64 Emulation that isn't..

Post by IhatedSega »

I bought a Saitek FPS controller wit ha USB end, works great since it has 6 buttons on the right side like the N64 controller.

I didnt hate the N64 controller, but the C buttons were a kind of weird idea, but with OoT they were well used.
Thierry Henry
Next-Gen

Post by Thierry Henry »

SamuraiMegas wrote:
Duane Dibbley wrote:What do you dislike about the stock N64 controller?

Everything.

This![/quote]

It's terrible isn't it. :lol:
I hate those things with a passion.
If you're fortunate enough in the future to perhaps get a decent deal on those Hori Mini Pads, go for it! They make all the difference. They really do.
"There are three kinds of suns in Missouri: Sunshines, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches"
Duane Dibbley
128-bit

Post by Duane Dibbley »

fuctfuct wrote:
SamuraiMegas wrote:
Duane Dibbley wrote:What do you dislike about the stock N64 controller?

Everything.

This!

Well, based on your extremely descriptive response, I suggest you stop playing traditional video games. :roll: I was asking so we could use that information to help direct you to a controller you might like better.
My games for sale: Racketboy, Amazon, eBay
My systems: NES, Nintendo 64, GameCube (Game Boy Player), Wii / Game & Watch: Ball, Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Advance SP (x2), Nintendo DSi / Genesis (Sega CD, 32X), Saturn / Game Gear / PlayStation, PlayStation 2 / Xbox / Mac (Windows PC) / iPhone, iPad
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Thierry Henry wrote:If you're fortunate enough in the future to perhaps get a decent deal on those Hori Mini Pads, go for it! They make all the difference. They really do.

They are just a tad too sensitive for FPS games. You can get use to it, but it takes a long time.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Really, you just need to find an analog stick controller with six face buttons. That'll map to pretty much every N64 game perfectly.

Never have understood the insane hatred of the N64 controller though and probably never will. I swear you guys are holding it wrong or something.

It's a little strange, sure, but it's pretty ergonomic, sets comfortably in your hand, and works really well for games that were built with it in mind. Only thing I can really agree on is how flaky and damage prone those control sticks are.

I'll take it over something like the stock Dreamcast controller or 3D Saturn Pad any day.
fuctfuct
Next-Gen

Post by fuctfuct »

Duane Dibbley wrote:Well, based on your extremely descriptive response, I suggest you stop playing traditional video games. :roll: I was asking so we could use that information to help direct you to a controller you might like better.

Stop playing traditional video games because i didn't describe what exactly i hate about one systems controller? Seems pretty extreme.

I hate the stick. They way it moves. The top of it, the only way its comfortable for me is if i wear a rubber thimble on my thumb :mrgreen: . I hate the trigger being in my left hand. It just feels wrong. I hate the shape. I hate the way you have to hold it. I hate the way it looks... Other then that its awesome!!! :lol:

I am going to try the Wii mote and Nun chuck when i get around to buying a Bluetooth adapter. I think it will work pretty well for the two Zelda games.
Breetai
Next-Gen

Post by Breetai »

AppleQueso wrote:I'll take it over something like the stock Dreamcast controller or 3D Saturn Pad any day.

Saturn 3D Pad>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>N64 Pad
Saturn 3D Pad>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Dreamcast pad

What is your problem with the 3D Saturn pad? I find no real fault with it, other than I like the feel of the regular pad better.

I find both the N64 and the DC pads to be some of the most uncomfortable first party pads out there (not counting pre-NES stuffs).
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Breetai wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:I'll take it over something like the stock Dreamcast controller or 3D Saturn Pad any day.

Saturn 3D Pad>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>N64 Pad
Saturn 3D Pad>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Dreamcast pad

What is your problem with the 3D Saturn pad? I find no real fault with it, other than I like the feel of the regular pad better.

I find both the N64 and the DC pads to be some of the most uncomfortable first party pads out there (not counting pre-NES stuffs).

I don't like how large it is and those weird handles and the fact that it feels like I'm trying to grip a frisbee.. Plus the weird... stick ball thing. I don't really find it particularly nice to use, and I pretty much pull it out only for NiGHTs.

The Dreamcast controller improves the stick, but manages to be even worse because they replaced the nice d-pad with a way crappier one, removed two of the face buttons, and added a big lump on the back to accommodate the VMU stuff. It's like going from holding a frisbee to holding a funkier shaped bulky frisbee. And unlike the Saturn 3D pad, the Dreamcast controller is the default, stock controller. You have to seriously hunt around for a good alternative for something like say, fighting games.

Also I'm not much of a fan of those analog type triggers. Only time I was cool with those sorts of L/R buttons was on the GameCube controller.
elmagicochrisg
Next-Gen

Post by elmagicochrisg »

AppleQueso wrote:Also I'm not much of a fan of those analog type triggers. Only time I was cool with those sorts of L/R buttons was on the GameCube controller.

Those triggers are good for racing games, but suck for things like Tony Hawk's...

Dreamcast DUX Limited Edition for sale (new, odorless and sealed)

All forum members are equal. But some are more equal than others. - George Orwell
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

elmagicochrisg wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:Also I'm not much of a fan of those analog type triggers. Only time I was cool with those sorts of L/R buttons was on the GameCube controller.

Those triggers are good for racing games, but suck for things like Tony Hawk's...

They're awful when they're the only trigger buttons on the controller and they're expected to behave like non-analog ones.

I don't like having to press a button in so deeply just to hit the hard punch/kick buttons in street fighter.