Emu Talk Goes Here
User avatar
noiseredux
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 38008
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:09 pm

Re: Rom hacks worth playing?

by noiseredux Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:02 pm

I always thought the Evil Dead hack of Zelda II was amusing.

And roster updates to Tecmo Bowl are awesome.
Image
AppleQueso
 

Re: Rom hacks worth playing?

by AppleQueso Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:52 pm

Well if we're gonna get into really silly novelty rom hacks...

http://www.i-mockery.com/romhacks/

(a few of these are kinda NSFW, but it's hilarious)
User avatar
Nyukki
128-bit
 
Posts: 705
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:04 am
Location: Beijing

Re: Rom hacks worth playing?

by Nyukki Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:01 am

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,12466.0.html

The Chinese bootleg remake of Final Fantasy 7 for the Famicom, with all its bugs, terrible music, graphics lifted from non-relevant FF games and unenjoyable difficulty, is getting a complete overhaul by the guys at RHDN.

I think its about 85% complete. Tried patching it to a rom but couldn't get it to work. Would definitely like to check it out one day when I have more time.


Also, check out "Rockman 2 Endless" (also for Rockman 3, 4 and 5). They are basically endurance tests where certain sections of the levels from that particular Rockman game carry on in a loop including boss battles and you test how many cycles you can complete. Great on the PowerPak.
User avatar
Ziggy587
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 12298
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Rom hacks worth playing?

by Ziggy587 Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:36 am

Nyukki wrote:The Chinese bootleg remake of Final Fantasy 7 for the Famicom, with all its bugs, terrible music, graphics lifted from non-relevant FF games and unenjoyable difficulty, is getting a complete overhaul by the guys at RHDN.

I think its about 85% complete. Tried patching it to a rom but couldn't get it to work. Would definitely like to check it out one day when I have more time.


That's really, really awesome, and I would love to check it out as well, but it wont be playable on real hardware. At least, you would be able to load it onto the PowerPak. The PowerPak has 512 KB for PRG and 512 KB for CHR, so a total of 1 MB. The ROM is 2 MB, so it's too big to be able to be loaded.
Image
User avatar
Ziggy587
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 12298
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Rom hacks worth playing?

by Ziggy587 Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:32 pm

I keep up with the hacks and translations uploaded to RHDN. There's been an explosion of new Sonic hacks this past week or two. This one caught my eye:

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1053/

It basically makes Sonic 1 and 2 one single game. What really got my attention is that it says "Progress is saved automatically to SRAM". I wonder if it all works on real hardware, because this would be an amazing hack.
Image
REPO Man
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 3055
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:05 pm
Location: Outer Banks, NC

Re: Rom hacks worth playing?

by REPO Man Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:14 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:I keep up with the hacks and translations uploaded to RHDN. There's been an explosion of new Sonic hacks this past week or two. This one caught my eye:

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1053/

It basically makes Sonic 1 and 2 one single game. What really got my attention is that it says "Progress is saved automatically to SRAM". I wonder if it all works on real hardware, because this would be an amazing hack.


Yes, it's amazing, but don't expect flawless playback on actual hardware. Also, this and Sonic 2 Heroes were combined into Sonic Classics Heroes.
User avatar
Ziggy587
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 12298
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Rom hacks worth playing?

by Ziggy587 Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:05 pm

REPO Man wrote:Yes, it's amazing, but don't expect flawless playback on actual hardware.


Have you played the hack on real hardware? Or are you just making a general assumption?
Image
REPO Man
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 3055
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:05 pm
Location: Outer Banks, NC

Re: Rom hacks worth playing?

by REPO Man Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:09 am

Ziggy587 wrote:
REPO Man wrote:Yes, it's amazing, but don't expect flawless playback on actual hardware.


Have you played the hack on real hardware? Or are you just making a general assumption?


Played on actual hardware. Froze on Marble Zone, though I can't remember whether or not it was random, something I did or if I got hit with a lot of rings and all those objects broke the game.
User avatar
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4573
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: Hartland Wisconsin

Re: Rom hacks worth playing?

by ninjainspandex Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:51 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:I keep up with the hacks and translations uploaded to RHDN. There's been an explosion of new Sonic hacks this past week or two. This one caught my eye:

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1053/

It basically makes Sonic 1 and 2 one single game. What really got my attention is that it says "Progress is saved automatically to SRAM". I wonder if it all works on real hardware, because this would be an amazing hack.

Does sonic 1 have the spin dash? Because thats why i prefer sonic 1 on the saturn
Image
User avatar
noiseredux
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 38008
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:09 pm

Re: Rom hacks worth playing?

by noiseredux Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:00 pm

Nyukki wrote:http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,12466.0.html

The Chinese bootleg remake of Final Fantasy 7 for the Famicom, with all its bugs, terrible music, graphics lifted from non-relevant FF games and unenjoyable difficulty, is getting a complete overhaul by the guys at RHDN.


nice! I played the ROM of Fami FF7 and made it to the boss of Shinra Tower last year. Got stuck and quit out of frustration, but I thought the bootleg version was actually a lot of fun.
Image
Return to Emulation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests