Rom hacks worth playing?

Emu Talk Goes Here
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Re: Rom hacks worth playing?

Post by REPO Man »

Haven't tried God of War 2 yet, but I've tried the first one (it's a Rygar hack).
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

ROM City Rampage!

You know Retro City Rampage, that game where this guy was trying to build from the ground-up Grand Theft Auto for NES? There's a bonus called ROM City Rampage; Upgrading his old code from before he abandoned the ROM/cart version to a newer console only engine and made the original NES code playable. Some guys took a look and it's actually an MBC5 NES ROM attached to an emulator. It's not a full game, but it's cool anyway. I was reading somewhere that someone's looking into adding more content.
Link

Google can help find the file if you're having trouble with the extraction...
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

So about a year ago I came across a hack for Castlevania II that added SRAM support (those passwords are a pain). Unfortunately, it didn't work on the PowerPak. The ROM wouldn't even boot.

I just came across this: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1032/

It's a Castlevania II hack, and probably the best I've seen as far as "fixing" the game goes. First off, it's a retranslation which probably makes it a lot less confusing. A map has also been added (see the link for pics - it looks awesome!). And an SRAM save function has been added. The only question is, will it work on real hardware via a flash cart? I hope so, but I wont hold my breath.
irixith
Next-Gen

Post by irixith »

Ziggy587 wrote:So about a year ago I came across a hack for Castlevania II that added SRAM support (those passwords are a pain). Unfortunately, it didn't work on the PowerPak. The ROM wouldn't even boot.

It's a Castlevania II hack, and probably the best I've seen as far as "fixing" the game goes. First off, it's a retranslation which probably makes it a lot less confusing. A map has also been added (see the link for pics - it looks awesome!). And an SRAM save function has been added. The only question is, will it work on real hardware via a flash cart? I hope so, but I wont hold my breath.

This is an awesome hack, and it works on the PowerPak (MMC4). :D
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Someone turned the NES game Shadow of the Ninja (whose GameBoy port was reimagined as a Ninja Gaiden game) into Batman: Shadows of Gotham.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

^Whoa, that looks pretty cool!
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

irixith wrote:
Ziggy587 wrote:So about a year ago I came across a hack for Castlevania II that added SRAM support (those passwords are a pain). Unfortunately, it didn't work on the PowerPak. The ROM wouldn't even boot.

This is an awesome hack, and it works on the PowerPak (MMC4). :D

Confirmed works? I know that just because a mapper is supported doesn't mean it'll run perfectly on real hardware (glitches, freezing, etc).

REPO Man wrote:Someone turned the NES game Shadow of the Ninja (whose GameBoy port was reimagined as a Ninja Gaiden game) into Batman: Shadows of Gotham.

I saw that one, it looks pretty neat. I'm gonna have to try it out.
irixith
Next-Gen

Post by irixith »

Ziggy587 wrote:
irixith wrote:This is an awesome hack, and it works on the PowerPak (MMC4). :D

Confirmed works? I know that just because a mapper is supported doesn't mean it'll run perfectly on real hardware (glitches, freezing, etc)

It's how I played through it. :)

I'm in the process of acquiring an Everdrive N8 though, so I'll have to try so many games through that instead. :)
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Ah, so it works on the PowerPak!?

I actually like CV2, it's just fucking butchered. Between the not knowing where you are, super vague and/or wrong hints, passwords that I'm too lazy to write down and input, etc, the game is broken in my opinion. This hack seems like it fixes all my complaints. If it really works on real hardware, I'll be eager to play through it!
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

I was just thinking, someone should make an NES game of the movie Crank with Jason Statham by rom hacking an Adventure Island game, where instead of fruit you collect drugs and energy drinks.