Emu Talk Goes Here
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Re: Rom hacks worth playing?

Post by REPO Man »

A few hacks I wish they'd do:

* steampunk Sonic 1
* Shadowrun for the Super NES as an adaptation of REPO! The Genetic Opera
* Glee-based hack of Moonwalker, loosely adapted from the third season episode "Michael", with Santana as the main character
* Batman for the NES redone as a Phantom of the Paradise game (though a stealth-action game would be more appropo)
* the Famicom Chojin Sentai Jetman game redone with a different Super Sentai team
* Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past redone as a pseudo-demake of the first Darksiders game
* metroidvania Sonic 3K
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

REPO Man wrote:metroidvania Sonic 3K

Please go into detail about that.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Ziggy587 wrote:
REPO Man wrote:metroidvania Sonic 3K

Please go into detail about that.

Arrange each Zone as a singular area, with Angel Island Zone as the Hub.

You only start off with the basic moves, a la Sonic 1 (so no gliding as Knuckles or flying as Tails at the beginning), but you find items that grant you such moves. The first is the spindash.

Instead of each shield only lasting until you get hit, you can collect them as renewable powerups. Using their special abilities and absorbing damage uses up energy, which can be replenished by smashing open boxes with the right symbol on it.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Sounds good to me! I'd play it. Sega should team up with Konami to make it happen, like Nintendo and Squaresoft did for Mario RPG.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

It's a concept for a hack. Also I don't know JACK about rom hacking, so I don't even know if it's possible.

Also I'd love to see a Sonic 1-3K collection (with S3K based on the Sonic 3 Complete) ported to the Sega CD (I believe someone's actually managed to port the first Sonic game to Sega CD, and then there's Sonic Megamix moving to Sega CD) with Redbook audio.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Well here's half of what you wish for: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1053/

It's Sonic 1 and 2 put together, complete with a save function, for the Genesis.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Ziggy587 wrote:Well here's half of what you wish for: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1053/

It's Sonic 1 and 2 put together, complete with a save function, for the Genesis.

That's old news. In fact, it's already merged with another hack called Sonic 2 Heroes (which brings the three-characters-at-a-time mechanic from Sonic Heroes to Sonic 2), creating Sonic Classic Heroes.

The most recent version (v0.10.008a, released last September), also allows you to switch to Team Chaotix and play as Espio the Chameleon, Vector the Crocodile and Charmy the Bee (with movesets similar to Knuckles Chaotix). There were stated plans for future Teams, like Team Rose (with Amy, Cream and Tikal).

Still kinda wish they'd merge this with S Factor, Sonic Megamix and Sonic 3 Complete and make it on the Sega CD.
fuctfuct
Next-Gen

Post by fuctfuct »

I've only played around with them (not the whole game/s), but the sound restoration hacks for Final Fantasy IV, V and VI Advance look cool. Supposed to fix most of the slowdown to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cZZZqGQsEg
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2248/

Ahhh, maybe I'll try this game out now. :D
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Did Sonic 2 HD ever come out? I haven't heard a word about it in a while. Did the project dry up, or did Sega put the kibosh on it?