I'm building a dedicated emulation PC

Emu Talk Goes Here
Jrecee
Next-Gen

Re: I'm building a dedicated emulation PC

Post by Jrecee »

Didn't they come out with a new Xbox controller that has a better D-pad?

I thought about doing this, but with the upcoming ouya, and the fact that I'll eventually want an all purpose pc hooked up to my tv (unless the ouya ends up being really great) I'm skipping it. I'd still consider doing this to put in my arcade cabinet though.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Jrecee wrote:Didn't they come out with a new Xbox controller that has a better D-pad?

There are ones with the "transforming" D-pad, which has become the standard "good" controller. You can push it down and twist it to basically swap from a 4 way to an 8 way pad. It's better, but it's still not that great.

Can easily spot them as the D-pad has a chrome finish :roll:
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

Post by Cronozilla »

Considering the Wii controllers are BlueTooth compliant and are 100% compatible with PC software ... and assuming Wii U follows the same trend, would you consider a Wii U Pro controller?

And, yes, you can use a dual shock 3 with bluetooth ... it's just not simple since it doesn't follow the protocols properly (a Sony defense mechanism so you can't use it other places)
Frag Mortuus
Next-Gen

Post by Frag Mortuus »

Cronozilla wrote:Considering the Wii controllers are BlueTooth compliant and are 100% compatible with PC software ... and assuming Wii U follows the same trend, would you consider a Wii U Pro controller?

I think the Wii U Pro Controller looks really good. I'll just have to wait until I get my hands on one.
noiseredux wrote:Frag Mortuus rules.

Sell/Trade/Want List
ATARI800XLfan
128-bit

Post by ATARI800XLfan »

Jrecee wrote:Didn't they come out with a new Xbox controller that has a better D-pad?

I thought about doing this, but with the upcoming ouya, and the fact that I'll eventually want an all purpose pc hooked up to my tv (unless the ouya ends up being really great) I'm skipping it. I'd still consider doing this to put in my arcade cabinet though.

The ouya does look good so far. Not as much info out as I was hoping for though.
Nyukki
128-bit

Post by Nyukki »

I built an HTPC (i5, 8GB RAM, some Nvidia card which cost a lot of money, I forget which one exactly) which I was going to use exclusively for HyperSpin, but ran into a few difficulties.

Everytime I run HS the first time since booting into Windows it runs very choppy. Once I exit and start HS again it runs fine. Hence, making it awkward for Windows to boot directly into HS and hide the OS. Admittedly, I haven't been to the HS forums to find out the solution to this.

I then installed XBMC and made it possible to launch HS from within XBMC using the add-on "Launcher". Eventually though, as my wife watches a lot of TV from Chinese websites that XBMC can't stream from, I ended up ditching any exclusive front end and went back to good old Win7. It's kinda annoying that my HTPC looks more like a PC when running, but to be fair I found it quite limiting using any one exclusive front end and prefer it this way. I control everything using a mini wireless keyboard with mousepad and find it works really well:
e0e7_promini_wireless_keyboard.jpg
e0e7_promini_wireless_keyboard.jpg (37.05 KiB) Viewed 813 times

I bought it from an electronics market for quite cheap, but it's available in the US from Thinkgeek:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/e0e7/
elmagicochrisg
Next-Gen

Post by elmagicochrisg »

You really need an arcade stick for MAME...

Come on man. Arcade games without an arcade stick? That's not right...

Dreamcast DUX Limited Edition for sale (new, odorless and sealed)

All forum members are equal. But some are more equal than others. - George Orwell
gtmtnbiker
Next-Gen

Post by gtmtnbiker »

Nyukki wrote:I built an HTPC (i5, 8GB RAM, some Nvidia card which cost a lot of money, I forget which one exactly) which I was going to use exclusively for HyperSpin, but ran into a few difficulties.

I don't use my HTPC for gaming. Only for watching movies and as a DVR. I use Windows Media Center which has a nice interface for the remote. I also have an InfinitTV 4 tuner card that I use to DVR content from my cable subscription.

I have an i3 in my unit and I use the integrated graphics. No issues and I have low power consumption since the unit is always asleep unless it wakes up to record.
Nyukki
128-bit

Post by Nyukki »

elmagicochrisg wrote:You really need an arcade stick for MAME...

Actually, you need two!
IMG_0456.JPG
IMG_0456.JPG (94.1 KiB) Viewed 788 times

I can understand going for simplicity and having one controller do everything, but playing arcade games, especially fighters and shooters, without an arcade stick I find frustrating. For console games I think one universal controller for all consoles is OK rather than USB modding a load of official controllers, the argument being that you're emulating at the end of day, so if you're that worried about getting that original feeling you're better off getting the real console. But for arcade games you need some sticks!

gtmtnbiker wrote:I have an i3 in my unit and I use the integrated graphics.

For games per se I think my system may be a little overkill, but HyperSpin, depending on how many bells and whistles you activate in the settings, is quite processor hungry. As long as you're quad-core you should be fine. I got the extra graphics card especially for the occasional new school game I play, but if you stick to anything up to PS1 era you should be fine with internal graphics, then again I'm sure you know better than me what specs you require.
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

Post by Violent By Design »

I agree on getting arcade sticks for fighters. I need one myself.

Btw, what TG-16 emulators do you guys suggest using?