PSP custom firmware - Which is best for emulation?

Emu Talk Goes Here
Haoie
128-bit

PSP custom firmware - Which is best for emulation?

Post by Haoie »

Heya folks, before I begin the process of adding CFW to my newly aquired PSP 1000 model, what recommendations/advice do you have for the most suitable CFW for me?

Currently at OFW 5.03, so can run the Chickhen TIFF exploit and then onto M-33. Haven't gone to the highest OFW because downgrading it in case I run into problems will be a pain. I think the alternative was the 6.60 something or other [so much jargon!]

Ideally stable and able to run SNES/GBA/PS1 emulation at full speed - The PS1 would take top priority since I've got a lot of oldies I'd like to rip from disc and add.

Any and all help is appreciated.
If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made.
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

Re: PSP custom firmware - Which is best for emulation?

Post by D.D.D. »

I don't recall what version but, there is a version of the CFW that allows you to run eboot-type games but is blocked in 6.60 I believe (at least my new PSP 3000 cannot be downgraded to a lower CFW).
That's what I'd look into if you want more stuff open to you.
Also, CFW Pro is great.
You might also want to read viewtopic.php?f=25&t=38088&hilit=psp+cfw+upgrade (there was some helpful info in there) and search the forum a bit too.
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Look into making a pandora battery. You have a little bit more flexibility in what you can do with a 1000 model as opposed to newer 2000 and 3000 models, but at this point, all you really need is 6.60 CFW. Installing it is as simple as putting two files on your memory stick and booting the install one. If you just want to use emulators, and the Pops ps1 emulation, then I don't think you'd have any real need for much else.

For PS1 games, though, a number of games have compatibility issues that can be remedied with Popsloader, but in order to take advantage of it, you'd need the Pops dumps from older official firmware revision. I've seen them all dumped and collated online before, but in general, you'd be on your own for that. You'd also need to convert the image files into EBOOTs, which there's a program for.

Search for wololo's Half-byte Loader. It should get you from point a to point b with PSP homebrew.
LentFilms
32-bit

Post by LentFilms »

Upgrade to either OFW 6.20, 6.35, 6.39 or the latest, 6.60 and Install PRO CFW as a Light Custom Firmware. You can read about it here,
http://code.google.com/p/procfw/
There is an installation guide in the Wiki section. It's arguably the best way to hack any PSP and the safest. It will also do everything you want it too and more.
deathsled
128-bit

Post by deathsled »

the only way to go now is update to the latest OFW, 6.60 and install PRO CFW as was already mentioned.

I don't think there's anything that won't work with that combination. It gives you all the latest PSP features and still goes online as well.

My PSP was on 5.50 gen-d (i think) for the longest time, but I updated to 6.60 and coudn't be happier.
Haoie
128-bit

Post by Haoie »

Thanks for the help so far. 6.6 seems almost too easy to run doesn't it?

So what's the big advantage 6.60 Pro has over the older 5.5/M33 exploit?

I see that Pro isn't permanent, in that you'll have to never turn the thing off unless you want to reset, but that's not too much of an issue.

And what are the advantages emulation-wise 6.6 has over 6.2 etc?
If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made.
LentFilms
32-bit

Post by LentFilms »

PRO is better then the 5.5/M33 exploit purely because it's a newer and more developed CFW.

The only difference between 6.2 and 6.6 is that 6.2 can be installed permanently. Emulation wise they are identical.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

I prefer permanent installations because I use my PSP so little it often runs out of battery even when it is turned off (never mind on "suspend" mode)!

Is 6.2 the most recent "permanent" one?
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Ivo wrote:I prefer permanent installations because I use my PSP so little it often runs out of battery even when it is turned off (never mind on "suspend" mode)!

Is 6.2 the most recent "permanent" one?

There's a quick boot for PRO: one-click application puts you right back into CFW.
I keep my PSP in suspend constantly, and I could count the number of times I've used the quick boot on one hand. Also, you have to leave the PSP on dead empty for a fairly significant amount of time before it will actually reboot the system.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

pierrot wrote:There's a quick boot for PRO: one-click application puts you right back into CFW.
I keep my PSP in suspend constantly, and I could count the number of times I've used the quick boot on one hand. Also, you have to leave the PSP on dead empty for a fairly significant amount of time before it will actually reboot the system.

I have a slim (2000) and I don't know if my battery is crooked or what (although it lasts for a good while: when freshly charged and I'm playing several hours in a row). I use it more when travelling and I have it on the drawer for a month or more and then turn it on, often it is really empty and even asks me to set the time and date. I try to always turn it off - if I'm putting it on suspend instead it is not intentionally!

Ivo.