Emu Talk Goes Here
User avatar
Ziggy587
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 12092
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Buffalo SNES USB Controller

by Ziggy587 Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:28 pm

ExedExes wrote:I had no idea there was a thread for this controller. Got mine a couple of years ago and love it! It works great in MAME too.


Same here! :lol:

This controller made me realize just how bad of a delay my old SNES USB adapter had. They're definitely top quality. My only complaint is that the D-Pad feels a little sharp, it can really tear into your thumb.
Image
User avatar
chuckster
32-bit
 
Posts: 270
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:05 pm

Re: Buffalo SNES USB Controller

by chuckster Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:01 am

I have one of these too, I loved the Japanese packaging and still have it just because it looks so nice. Definitely a great SNES controller, very good D-pad, no delay that I notice, and not overpriced like most quality retro stuff.

It was my go-to emulation controller until I got on a Saturn pad kick and got a USB adapter, I just love the 6-button layout and circular D-pad. Now iBuffalo just needs to make a solid Saturn pad clone with turbo and macros and such and I'll be complete!

Speaking of, are there any solid repro Saturn or even Genesis pads out there that you guys have tried that compare with the Buffalo SNES/Super Fami controller?
User avatar
marlowe221
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1137
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:34 pm
Location: Mississippi

Re: Buffalo SNES USB Controller

by marlowe221 Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:28 pm

chuckster wrote:I have one of these too, I loved the Japanese packaging and still have it just because it looks so nice. Definitely a great SNES controller, very good D-pad, no delay that I notice, and not overpriced like most quality retro stuff.

It was my go-to emulation controller until I got on a Saturn pad kick and got a USB adapter, I just love the 6-button layout and circular D-pad. Now iBuffalo just needs to make a solid Saturn pad clone with turbo and macros and such and I'll be complete!

Speaking of, are there any solid repro Saturn or even Genesis pads out there that you guys have tried that compare with the Buffalo SNES/Super Fami controller?


I have looked and looked but haven't been able to find anything comparable in a Genesis/Saturn button configuration.

I settled on one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/HORI-Fighting-Commander-Controller-PlayStation/dp/B00TKLFES8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1486585589&sr=8-3&keywords=fighting+commander

It's not ideal (the controller lopsided, though I don't really notice it when playing) but it works well and seems to be good quality.

What I really want is a decent Atari joystick reproduction in a USB flavor. Anything I have been able to find so far seems to be absolute junk.
Have: Sega Genesis, SNES, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Atari 800XL, PC, N3DS XL, Wii U, GBA, Xbox One, Switch

Want: Games!!!
User avatar
chuckster
32-bit
 
Posts: 270
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:05 pm

Re: Buffalo SNES USB Controller

by chuckster Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:50 pm

marlowe221 wrote:
I have looked and looked but haven't been able to find anything comparable in a Genesis/Saturn button configuration.

I settled on one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/HORI-Fighting-Commander-Controller-PlayStation/dp/B00TKLFES8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1486585589&sr=8-3&keywords=fighting+commander

It's not ideal (the controller lopsided, though I don't really notice it when playing) but it works well and seems to be good quality.

What I really want is a decent Atari joystick reproduction in a USB flavor. Anything I have been able to find so far seems to be absolute junk.


Well I'm glad I didn't just miss all the great Sega reproduction controllers, but it bums me out to hear that there is no quality option. I think the Saturn controller is pretty much perfect for emulation needs for consoles prior to PS1/N64.

I really need to get a Fighting Commander, I have wanted one forever for the 6-button layout, praised d-pad, and four triggers. It seems like it'd be a great replacement for the Saturn Pad.

Are there any good reproduction Atari sticks with DB9 connectors? Shouldn't DB9 be easily converted to USB?

For DB9, I found a solution that sort of worked for me. We ordered a bunch of cheap Atari style joysticks at work because the robot arms in some of our exhibits happen to work with the DB9 connector and it seemed like a good idea to buy joysticks at $10 a piece over $40 a piece. 4 out of 5 broke within two weeks. The thing is, they all broke the same way. There's a delicate plastic ring under the handle that actuates the switches for joystick movement. We had a 3-D printed replacement handle assembly made with a reinforced ring section and they are going strong now, after 6 months of commercial use. The first prototype broke at the handle because we made it hollow, but after we reinforced that, it's all good. If you have access to a 3D printer or someone who will do this for you without chargng an arm and a leg, it seems a sound way to go.
User avatar
marlowe221
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1137
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:34 pm
Location: Mississippi

Re: Buffalo SNES USB Controller

by marlowe221 Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:05 am

chuckster wrote:Well I'm glad I didn't just miss all the great Sega reproduction controllers, but it bums me out to hear that there is no quality option. I think the Saturn controller is pretty much perfect for emulation needs for consoles prior to PS1/N64.

I really need to get a Fighting Commander, I have wanted one forever for the 6-button layout, praised d-pad, and four triggers. It seems like it'd be a great replacement for the Saturn Pad.

Are there any good reproduction Atari sticks with DB9 connectors? Shouldn't DB9 be easily converted to USB?

For DB9, I found a solution that sort of worked for me. We ordered a bunch of cheap Atari style joysticks at work because the robot arms in some of our exhibits happen to work with the DB9 connector and it seemed like a good idea to buy joysticks at $10 a piece over $40 a piece. 4 out of 5 broke within two weeks. The thing is, they all broke the same way. There's a delicate plastic ring under the handle that actuates the switches for joystick movement. We had a 3-D printed replacement handle assembly made with a reinforced ring section and they are going strong now, after 6 months of commercial use. The first prototype broke at the handle because we made it hollow, but after we reinforced that, it's all good. If you have access to a 3D printer or someone who will do this for you without chargng an arm and a leg, it seems a sound way to go.


Unfortunately, I don't know anyone with a 3D printer. I may need to invest in a DB9 to USB adaptor and just use the original controllers. My Suncom sticks are good quality and I see no reason why they wouldn't keep working for years to come.

Also, the most recent versions of the Hori Fighting Commander pads aren't lopsided. Check those out.
Have: Sega Genesis, SNES, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Atari 800XL, PC, N3DS XL, Wii U, GBA, Xbox One, Switch

Want: Games!!!
User avatar
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 3277
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:15 pm
Location: Houston, TEXAS

Re: Buffalo SNES USB Controller

by Jagosaurus Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:57 am

Just ordered one with a 10 foot extension cable! Was playing/emulating some SNES Final Fantasy VI on my TV last night with a keyboard and while it worked... just felt a little off. Looking forward to the controller!
User avatar
Xeogred
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 14359
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:49 pm
Location: KC

Re: Buffalo SNES USB Controller

by Xeogred Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:49 pm

I should be getting one tomorrow. I hope I can get used to the rounded Y and X buttons.
User avatar
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 3277
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:15 pm
Location: Houston, TEXAS

Re: Buffalo SNES USB Controller

by Jagosaurus Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:05 pm

I've had some time to test this and I love it. VERY responsive and solid build quality. The rounded x/y buttons didn't really bother me.

I first was testing on a JRPG (FF6) and decided to put it through the ringer on some playformers & beat em ups. I was not let down.

Regardin compatibility, multiple emulators immediately recognized it as joypad, and I easily programmed buttons. My old Windows XP emu box even recognized it fine.

I ran it on Genesis games with Fusion emu with ABC configured as YBA. It worked just fine IMO. I can't fault it for the Sega Genesis 6 button controller possibly being my favorite.

For $15-$20, can't go wrong here!
Return to Emulation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests