Help with SSF!

Emu Talk Goes Here
bondono

Help with SSF!

Post by bondono »

Hey guys. New to the forum.

I'm trying to get Panzer Dragoon Saga, or any game for that matter, to run with SSF.

As far as I can tell I've set everything up correctly. I've even tried following a Youtube tutorial. I have SSF 12 beta 3 with the US Bios and ST-V bios.

I can load PDS and it even plays the opening video. However, once the video is over SSF boots back to the opening Saturn menu. I've tried a couple other games and I get the same problem. Anyone know what this is and what I can do to fix it? Thanks!
flojocabron
Next-Gen

Re: Help with SSF!

Post by flojocabron »

hi there new person.

sorry to hear your troubles with saturn emulation.

I haven't dabbled in saturn emu. But I've read/heard that saturn emulation is quite hard. And the emu program isn't perfect.

I would like to one day try it out too, but my computer is too old to even try it.

I'm sure most everyone here will tell you to get a saturn console and mod it.

I'm tempted to do this as well. Since there's a smorgasbrod (SPELL CHECK :lol: ) of JP saturn games that are cool.
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
pvt_awol
64-bit

Re: Help with SSF!

Post by pvt_awol »

I've had my ups and downs with Saturn Emulation a LOT!

Here are a couple of tips that I've had good experience with. So far there isn't a game that I haven't gotten to load. All it takes is trial and error.

1. Use different CD image software. Magic ISO was my old go to for disc images, but when I couldn't seem to get SSF to work with everything I started using DAEMON tools lite. (It even adds a nifty desktop gadget if you're on Win7) between the 2 programs, I've gotten every type of image to play. (Don't forget to change drive letters in the setup of SSF)

2. The region BIOS MUST match the game image. Not every game works with every BIOS. When you make the change though, you have to completely shutdown SSF (check your task manager to be sure it isn't still running) and then relaunch it for the settings to take effect. This can be VERY time consuming, but once you figure out which BIOS region works, append your image name so that you don't forget.

3. Some games require you to have a specific type of image. I'm not sure on the reasons, but SSF is picky about the image and how the audio is. (This is why DAEMON tools works better for some games) So far, every image I've gotten is able to be played either natively or after being converted. I'm at work, so I cannot remember the programs and details, but there is a "conversion" program that rips an ISO to have .wav files as the audio and thin a .bin and .cue file rather than a straight up ISO image. Usually when I can't get a .iso image to play, I convert it, and then it plays well.

Other than that, trial and error. LOL. If you have more questions, please feel free to hit me up. Once I'm at home and can look at my setup (I'm pretty anal about taking notes on all things I do emulation related) I can hook you up big time if you can't get it working otherwise.

I'm one of those people who will spend hours or even days just trying to get 1 game to work in emulation, and then never play it. LOL. I guess, just to prove to myself that I can do it.