Emu Talk Goes Here
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: What's the fastest way to play Rondo of Blood?

by noiseredux Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:00 am

since we got on to the subject, I'd also highly recommend the PSP port on Dracula X Chronicles. Not only is it excellent, but also includes Symphony of the Night!
brunoafh
Next-Gen

by brunoafh Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:04 am

Burning PCE games can be goofy sometimes. I've found Nero seems to take very well to the ISO/WAV format, give that a shot Ziggy. I've had trouble with ImgBurn and PCE too, despite ImgBurn typically being great, but for some reason Nero always gets the job done with PCE.

You can always try applying the patch yourself, too.
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/846/
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:37 pm

AppleQueso wrote:
ejamer wrote:Fastest way to play? Wii Virtual Console.
Cheap, easy, quick, and actually legal.

Maybe it's not what you want, but it's the best answer to the question asked.

...I completely forgot that this was even on Virtual Console.

The VC is definitely the fastest/easiest way to play the game. No configuring emulators, no hunting for the game donwload, etc. Just download, and play a (perfect?) emulation on the Wii. The Wii remote is even a perfect controller to play it on.

noiseredux wrote:since we got on to the subject, I'd also highly recommend the PSP port on Dracula X Chronicles. Not only is it excellent, but also includes Symphony of the Night!

The PSP port is THE reason I bought a PSP. First time we got Rondo here officially, and the only time it's been officially translated. Though I'm not a huge fan of handhelds, I prefer to play on consoles. I even bought the component cables to play my PSP on my TV, but it's just not the same. The image quality isn't as good and the picture doesn't take up the entire screen. I played the PSP version first, then downloaded the game on Virtual Console when it came out. Playing it on the Wii was great because the image quality was better, but it's the original Japanese game. It's still very playable, but being teased with an official translation always bothered me. It's just the pros and cons of the PSP and Wii version, as I see it.

I've also tried to play it emulated on Xbox, wasn't a fan. Maybe there's been updates to the emulator since I've tried, but there was annoying glitches with the music (music didn't loop/start properly, didn't stop when a boss was beat, etc). I'd rather play it on the Virtual Console, but again, not translated.

brunoafh wrote:Burning PCE games can be goofy sometimes. I've found Nero seems to take very well to the ISO/WAV format, give that a shot Ziggy. I've had trouble with ImgBurn and PCE too, despite ImgBurn typically being great, but for some reason Nero always gets the job done with PCE.

You can always try applying the patch yourself, too.
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/846/

I've been waiting for the patch to be finished for years. I even made this thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=20451

When the patch finally came out, I found out about it pretty quickly. Though I wasn't able to successively patch the game myself. See here: viewtopic.php?p=529775#p529775

It seems that the PCE games are finicky not only when burning, but also ripping and thus patching. In order to successfully use the patch, you would have to own the game and make a rip yourself using the same tools the author of the patch used. Images of the game I was able to find for download were not compatible with the patch.

I contacted Atreyu187 and he told me he upped the ISO/WAV image for emulation, but also upped a BIN/CUE image for burning. I just downloaded the BIN/CUE image, but I haven't tried burning it yet.
brunoafh
Next-Gen

by brunoafh Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:52 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:It seems that the PCE games are finicky not only when burning, but also ripping and thus patching. In order to successfully use the patch, you would have to own the game and make a rip yourself using the same tools the author of the patch used. Images of the game I was able to find for download were not compatible with the patch.

Ah. Gotcha. Well if ImgBurn still gives you trouble, you should try Nero. I went through the exact same thing before, having a rough time burning PCE games, and Nero solved everything.
avrame
128-bit

by avrame Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:24 pm

noiseredux wrote:since we got on to the subject, I'd also highly recommend the PSP port on Dracula X Chronicles. Not only is it excellent, but also includes Symphony of the Night!

Seconded! By far my favorite packing of Castlevania goodness in one game. My favorite version of SOTN to date, the voice acting was a little difficult to get into, because who doesn't like the 'Die monster! You don't belong in this world!' speech :)

Not to mention, compatability for the PSVITA was recently added with a new update, so even better to play it on a big screen :)
If you aren't having a good time, why are you playing?
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:37 pm

If they made The Dracula X Chronicles on the consoles it would definitely be my favorite version of the games. Hell, it might be my favorite Castlevania game. It might be in my top 5 favorite games. But I just can't enjoy it as much on a handheld.
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

by foxhound1022 Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:53 pm

Yeah, VC on Wii; easiest. I also concur with the Dracula X chronicles on PSP. Greatness. That and Ultimate Ghosts N' Goblins.
ejamer
128-bit

by ejamer Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:39 pm

I never realized the PSP release was fully translated. Very exciting news.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:30 pm

ejamer wrote:I never realized the PSP release was fully translated. Very exciting news.

But it's better than that. It's translated WITH new voice overs, and they also retranslated the text and voice overs for SotN. So they match! These games were really meant to be together, so that's why it's so nice to have a package like this.

...I just wish it was on a console.

FYI, the fan translation for Rondo (PCE) actually uses the voice overs from the translated PSP version. So you're more or less getting the same thing in that department.
Jungell
24-bit

by Jungell Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:55 am

Fastest way... Hmm... Get on an airplane and bring a portable that can play it! Airplanes go crazy-fast.

A race car would be another option, but it would make it harder to play.
"Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. I'm off to play Sega"-HAL 9000
Return to Emulation