Emu Talk Goes Here
fuctfuct
128-bit

Re: Scanlines .. Help

by fuctfuct Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:15 pm

Messing around with a bunch of emulators today. So far ..

FB Alpha -> Directx9 Alt -> Superscale75 - works great :)

Nestopia -> NTSC -> RGB -> %50 scanlines - works OK if i use bilinear filtering (if i REALLY look i can see slight problems)

SNES9x -> Blargg's NTSC (RGB) or TV Mode - works OK if i use bilinear filtering (if i REALLY look i can see slight problems)

Fusion -> Superscale -> Emulators built in %50 scanline option - Works great
(basically any of the built in scanline settings work perfectly)

MAME -> Any of the scanline effects - Works great

I guess i am just down to SNES now. The options above don't apply many scanlines and while i like RGB on NES i don't really for SNES. Would love to play SNES with superscale and scan lines but haven't found a way yet :(. I think bsnes might be able to do it since it can combine a filter and a shader but anytime i try scanlines on it it's pretty much the worst example of this problem i have seen :(. It does work fine if you use the center option for fullscreen. But the black border on all sides sucks hehe
Last edited by fuctfuct on Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fuctfuct
128-bit

by fuctfuct Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:39 pm

I take back what i said about..

Nestopia -> NTSC -> RGB -> %50 scanlines - works OK if i use bilinear filtering (if i REALLY look i can see slight problems)

You can very clearly see problems when anything scrolls up with any scanline setting over %4 :(
Zing
Next-Gen

by Zing Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:50 pm

fuctfuct wrote:While whoever wrote that is wrong about 1280x1024 being 4:3. I guess scanlines just don't work when stretched that much because your not keeping an even multiple of the image height? *shrugs*

It is not saying that 1280x1024 is 4:3, it is saying that to accurately represent the non-square pixels of the SNES on square pixel display (which the PC is by default), you need to "squish" the pixels by running 1280x1024 on a 4:3 display.

This would work correctly on a CRT, as there is no "native resolution" to overcome. Your results on an LCD will vary depending on the scaling hardware inside the display and the native resolution of the display.

*edit* I just noticed that you said the "center" option in BSNES works fine. That is going to be the best you can get unless you have a CRT and use the "stretch" option @ 1280x1024 as mentioned. Due to the SNES's non-square pixels and odd resolution, there is no way to avoid the black borders and still maintain aspect ratio and scanlines.
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay
fuctfuct
128-bit

by fuctfuct Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:17 pm

Zing wrote:It is not saying that 1280x1024 is 4:3, it is saying that to accurately represent the non-square pixels of the SNES on square pixel display (which the PC is by default), you need to "squish" the pixels by running 1280x1024 on a 4:3 display.

This would work correctly on a CRT, as there is no "native resolution" to overcome. Your results on an LCD will vary depending on the scaling hardware inside the display and the native resolution of the display.

Makes sense.. And yea reading that again i see how i read it wrong.

On another note. I was testing out VisualBoyAdvance-M today. Every option i could find that uses scanlines works great. Including superscale75.rpi from the fusion plugins :)

Edit:
Zing wrote:*edit* I just noticed that you said the "center" option in BSNES works fine. That is going to be the best you can get unless you have a CRT and use the "stretch" option @ 1280x1024 as mentioned. Due to the SNES's non-square pixels and odd resolution, there is no way to avoid the black borders and still maintain aspect ratio and scanlines.

Its funny.. When i use that option the scanlines work fine but i don't feel like the aspect ratio is correct *shrugs* hehe
Shogun
32-bit

by Shogun Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:00 am

This thread contains the best scanlines I've seen: http://board.byuu.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=147

Its a bit of a mess with tons of people tinkering with it and uploading updates. I'm not a fan of the curved screen they are doing in alot of them. The only downside is as of right now the only emulator using this is retrocopy (curved screen and all). I'm currently using a version I modified in retroarch (formerly ssnes). I can play it in either 1280x1024 or 1024x768 and it looks great. You can use these scanlines in any emulator that supports filters and/or shaders.

Edit - Also I haven't used mame in a while and was surprised to see how good scanlines have gotten. Its called HLSL. You can find a good setup for horizontal games here and vertical games here.
Return to Emulation