Name Some Weird ROM Hacks/Prototypes etc

Emu Talk Goes Here
racketboy
Site Admin

Name Some Weird ROM Hacks/Prototypes etc

Post by racketboy »

What are some of your favorite/most interesting ROM hacks, prototypes, betas, etc...

I can still remember when I got all worked up about finding that Sonic Crackers ROM. Hard as all get out to control, but it was exciting back then.

I also remember playing a "Mario" game on a Genesis emulator and one of the pirate cart roms with Street Fighter and King of Fighters characters together (or something like that)...
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Kart Fighter for the NES
SSFII Rainbow - its a hacked PCB actually
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon 2003 - KoF 2003 with some crazy changes
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

Somari. 'Nuff said.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

Yeah I want some quality hacks to apply. Racket you should do a series of articles, per system, on essential rom hacks we need to download. It's legal, since the hack files don't contain copywrited material...well most of the time.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Mozgus wrote:Yeah I want some quality hacks to apply. Racket you should do a series of articles, per system, on essential rom hacks we need to download. It's legal, since the hack files don't contain copywrited material...well most of the time.

Cool idea! If we can get enough recommendations, that would be a great start.
extrarice
64-bit

Post by extrarice »

Kaizo Mario World. Insanely difficult level designs, but they are doable. There's also another SMW hack that you don't have to touch anything to get through the levels.
JC
16-bit

Post by JC »

Super Metroid Redesign was pretty good. Never completed it though. There was a good Zelda 3 one aswell called Parallel Worlds.
durkada
64-bit

Re: Name Some Weird ROM Hacks/Prototypes etc

Post by durkada »

racketboy wrote:What are some of your favorite/most interesting ROM hacks, prototypes, betas, etc...

I can still remember when I got all worked up about finding that Sonic Crackers ROM. Hard as all get out to control, but it was exciting back then.

I also remember playing a "Mario" game on a Genesis emulator and one of the pirate cart roms with Street Fighter and King of Fighters characters together (or something like that)...

More old schol than you may want, and arcade centric:

Faster Harder More Challenging Q-Bert -- simply takes the original where it gets hard and makes it harder still.
Ms Pac Man speed hack. Ms Pacman runs around like a squirrel on amphetamines -- good fun.
GagaMan
128-bit

Post by GagaMan »

Sonic 1 Megamix (currently version 3) is the best hack I have ever played. Now if only it would work on my GP2X mega Drive emulator (all the other sonic hacks work) :_:
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

There was also a Super Contra for NES hack. The other Contra hacks (ie. Contra 7) really, really, suck.