Anybody use FreeDO here?

Emu Talk Goes Here
Curlypaul
Next-Gen

Anybody use FreeDO here?

Post by Curlypaul »

I've been trying to get this working lately and having some issues. I found a build of 2.1 that was mainly in english and so far I've managed to get it load a rom, but its very stuttery. Playing with the limited options in the video menu made it a little better, but still not really playable. Any ideas on how to make it run faster? My PC isnt the best, but it still wasn't at max CPU or anything.

The other question, is what are the default controls? I tried everything on the keyboard and nothing would make the game start? There seem to be some options to get a controller working with it but its not very user friendly and there is little info on the net about FreeDO (in english anyway)

Really been wanting to try out some of the 3DO's FMV games lately and since the consoles are a bit on the expensive side, and I'm a bit skint, thought that I could try some out this way, but its not working out so far :(
aaron
Next-Gen

Re: Anybody use FreeDO here?

Post by aaron »

i've never been able to make this damn thing work, so i'm interested in some help as well.

/not helping
Steam / PSN / Twitter: aaronjohnmiller
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Post by Pulsar_t »

http://www.emucr.com/2011/12/fourdo-svn-r217.html

I'll try this once I find a 3DO game worth the trouble :lol:
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

FreeDO barely works, play is stuttery for everyone. And I think you need JoyToKey to map the controls.
Curlypaul
Next-Gen

Post by Curlypaul »

OK so its not that my PC isn't up to it. I'll give the other ones a go before I resign myself to the fact that I need to buy the machine. These things will play CD-R's right?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I'm pretty sure it's not your PC. I have a monster computer than can run PS2 and Wii emulation fine, but not FreeDO.

And I believe the actual console will play burned games, I broke down and brought one a few weeks ago.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I'm pretty sure it's not your PC. I have a monster computer than can run PS2 and Wii emulation fine, but not FreeDO.

And I believe the actual console will play burned games, I broke down and brought one a few weeks ago.

i made that mistake last year myself.
exo

Post by exo »

Freedo works perfectly fine for me. I use it in a GameEX cab and a HyperSpin cab.

Now, keep in mind there are tons of different versions of FreeDo floating around out there. Maybe you have a really old one?

I get zero stuttering and the games play perfectly fine. I also have no problem going into the options and setting the keys... it's really easy since there is a giant picture of the controller just sitting there.
Curlypaul
Next-Gen

Post by Curlypaul »

Really? This is version 2.1 which was the most up to date build that I could find. Which version are you using and where did you get it?

Edit: I had a look at 3DOPlay, and that has an image of the controller in the input settings like you say, but I just get a black screen when I try and run a game. Got FourDO running and other than the audio being a bit messed up its running pretty well. Cool
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Post by Pulsar_t »

Curlypaul wrote: Got FourDO running and other than the audio being a bit messed up its running pretty well. Cool

Haven't had much luck running it on AMD Graphics/x64 Win7 with SlimDX runtimes installed. :|
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image