Wii vs original Xbox for emulation?

Emu Talk Goes Here
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Re: Wii vs original Xbox for emulation?

Post by dunpeal2064 »

I use my Wii for anything I can get to run on it, for that 240.

For MAME, the xbox wins hands down. The Wii can't handle stuff like ESP RA DE or Armed Police Batrider.

Granted, a simple pc setup through vga would probably trump both. I personally prefer consoles for emulation myself though
kingbuzzo
16-bit

Post by kingbuzzo »

Neither are very good really. Wii is probably a better all in one setup because of 240p, but I would expect to Xbox to have a larger selection of stable emus. You could always use an Extron unit to convert 480i to 240p. Check it out.

If you're serious about emulation, you'll use a pc of some kind and find a way for proper 240p output.

I currently use a thinkpad vga out through a UVC board to an rgb monitor and am very happy with it. I've seen just as good results with desktop pc running an arcadevga, and others using an emotia GX. Plus you get all sorts of controller options at much less the hassle of having to mod something for Wii or Xbox.
Breetai
Next-Gen

Post by Breetai »

DonSilvestre wrote:I guess if you're into a lot more obscure systems (Sega CD, PCengine, etc)...

Obscure? The Sega CD was in no way obscure anywhere. Even the TG-CD was well known among gamers in the US when it was out.
LentFilms
32-bit

Post by LentFilms »

The Wii is perfect for retro emulation, up to 4th generation counsels; it gets a bit dicey after that.

I would even say better then Xbox emulation for better control options (classic, GC, Wiimote and what have you) and for the much talked about ability to output in 240p.

Also, I don’t believe anyone’s mentioned this yet but Mednafen just got ported to the Wii a few months back which means, as far as I can tell, perfect TG16/CD emulation, along with a hand full of other consoles that are tied to that emulator.
mustardseed
24-bit

Post by mustardseed »

I have found the Xbox emulators to be much better and faster. Especially if you are applying any filters like 2xsai. Also the easy one button save/load was awesome when trying to get through Battletoads.

BUT... the easy wireless controller options make the Wii my go to machine now. I can use the Wiimote sideways, or use any number of classic controller adapters for PS2 or NES controllers.
http://www.tacolamp.com - my blog & video portfolio
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

What do you mean by the emulators being faster?

As in, they ran the games faster? The emulators loaded faster? Just easier to use?

I've never noticed speed issues when emulating games on the Wii, even when comparing the roms I was running to original cart versions of the game.

Of course, there are some games the Wii just can't emulate, but I'm more talking about the ones that seem to be working ok.

The Wii seems like it has a lot of untapped potential still, concerning emulation, but I know very little about that sort of thing.
mustardseed
24-bit

Post by mustardseed »

I noticed the speed especially with filters. On the Xbox, I could run NES and SNES at full HD with smoothing filters on and no slowdown. It was gorgeous. Some of the wii emulators don't have the filters, but the ones that do are too slow or choppy to be worth it to me. I'm a total framerate snob. I can't stand any kind of frame skipping.
http://www.tacolamp.com - my blog & video portfolio
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Ah I get you. I don't use any filters as I play my Wii on a crt, but I can see that being an issue.

So, with this Mednafen emulator, could I possibly get Saphire running on my Wii? I'm just using a hu card emu right now, didn't know the wii could emulate tgcd games.
elmagicochrisg
Next-Gen

Post by elmagicochrisg »

Wouldn't you be able to use a scanline emulator for 240p output on Xbox?...

Dreamcast DUX Limited Edition for sale (new, odorless and sealed)

All forum members are equal. But some are more equal than others. - George Orwell
LentFilms
32-bit

Post by LentFilms »

dunpeal2064 wrote:So, with this Mednafen emulator, could I possibly get Saphire running on my Wii? I'm just using a hu card emu right now, didn't know the wii could emulate tgcd games.

I've never tested Saphire but I can tell you right now it can.
WiiMednafen came out somewhat recently and it is perfect for Hu card and CD games. I've never had a single issue with it :)
(link)
http://code.google.com/p/wii-mednafen/

Also, Genesis Plus GX is also going to be getting Sega CD support soon!
http://code.google.com/p/genplus-gx/iss ... ?id=29#c36
Snatcher anyone?