isiolia
Next-Gen

Arstechnica article on accurate emulation

by isiolia Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:27 am

Hatta
Next-Gen

Re: Arstechnica article on accurate emulation

by Hatta Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:12 pm

Great article. Byuu's the man. Unfortunately he mentioned on AtariAge that he's not planning on doing any more emulators. Would be nice to see his standards brought to other consoles (Genesis? TG-16?). But I'm sure he'll find something cool to do anyways.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
heelsinc
32-bit

by heelsinc Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:21 pm

is this emulator out to download? After reading that article i feel like i need to be using it
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:43 pm

heelsinc wrote:is this emulator out to download? After reading that article i feel like i need to be using it

http://byuu.org/bsnes/

The futility in accurately preserving these games make me hesitant on ever being a major collector. :(
DinnerX
Next-Gen

by DinnerX Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:03 pm

o.pwuaioc wrote:
heelsinc wrote:is this emulator out to download? After reading that article i feel like i need to be using it

The futility in accurately preserving these games make me hesitant on ever being a major collector. :(

If you take care of them and know how to do small repairs, most consoles and games will probably outlast you so don't worry about it.
Since this signature affects old posts, I'm leaving a message here in case anyone searches for my username. This account died in early 2013. I am no longer a fundamentalist.

Don't add to my problems by pretending my past views are still held in the present. I do not have any patience for that. Feel free to ask me what I think now.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:04 pm

DinnerX wrote:
o.pwuaioc wrote:

If you take care of them and know how to do small repairs, most consoles and games will probably outlast you so don't worry about it.

Disk rot? Carts I'm not too worried about. Even some really dirty ones I acquired from a friend sevin0seven showed me how to clean up nicely to get them to work again. But disk rot is something you can't repair...
DinnerX
Next-Gen

by DinnerX Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:51 pm

o.pwuaioc wrote:
DinnerX wrote:If you take care of them and know how to do small repairs, most consoles and games will probably outlast you so don't worry about it.

Disk rot? Carts I'm not too worried about. Even some really dirty ones I acquired from a friend sevin0seven showed me how to clean up nicely to get them to work again. But disk rot is something you can't repair...

As I understand it disc rot isn't guaranteed to happen to a disk, but it is still mildly concerning. I haven't run into it yet though and I have quite a few old cds.
Since this signature affects old posts, I'm leaving a message here in case anyone searches for my username. This account died in early 2013. I am no longer a fundamentalist.

Don't add to my problems by pretending my past views are still held in the present. I do not have any patience for that. Feel free to ask me what I think now.
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:56 pm

Disc Rot is relatively rare anyhow.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:12 pm

AppleQueso wrote:Disc Rot is relatively rare anyhow.

Anyone have any statistics? I thought it was quite common with certain manufacturers/games from certain systems.
Dakinggamer87
Next-Gen

by Dakinggamer87 Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:14 pm

Interesting article!! :)
Odyssey,Vectrex,Atari 2600,5200,7800,Intellivision,Colecovision,NES,Master System,SNES,Genesis,32X,CD,CDX,Virtual Boy,TG-16,Neo-Geo AES,Jaguar+CD,PSX,PSOne,Saturn,3DO,N64,DC,PS2,Xbox,GCN,Wii,Xbox 360,PS3,GB,GB Pocket,GBC,Lynx,Game Gear,Nomad,NGPC,GBA,GBA SP,GB Micro,DS,PSP,PSP Slim,WS,WS Color,3DS,Vita,PC,iPhone,WiiU
A/V:55" Samsung 3D LED TV, Onkyo 7.1 TX-SR605 HTS
My gaming collection
Return to Emulation