XBMC as frontend for emulation

Emu Talk Goes Here
markeconrad
24-bit

XBMC as frontend for emulation

Post by markeconrad »

Hey all, I have been an off and on reader of Racketboy for a while now. I haven't been active in the forums mostly because I haven't been an active gamer for a few years, but I recently was inspired to fire up some emulators on my PC/HTPC hybrid. The usual problems of emulation creep up, however, where it just doesn't have the right feel as playing with the actual system. There's just something missing when instead of looking through your old NES carts for the right game, you are searching a folder on your hard drive for the right .nes file.

As many of you are probably already aware, through extensive plugin development for XBMC, someone has created a great plugin for launching games with their respective emulators from right within XBMC. Giving us beautiful selection screens like this:

This is early in my HTPC emulation, but this has a nice feel to it, and is much better than selecting random .nes files. Point is, I'd like to share this with the community whether it be through a tutorial or compiled download, but I don't want to waste my time. Would anyone be interested?
irixith
Next-Gen

Re: XBMC as frontend for emulation

Post by irixith »

Any tutorial or guide done for the benefit of the community is never a waste.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

I have always thought they should do emulators with boxart instead of names. I am interested in a guide if you write one.
gtmtnbiker
Next-Gen

Post by gtmtnbiker »

This would be a great help. I'll love to try out your guide/tutorial so I can setup the same myself.

I agree with Fastbilly's comments that having cover art is better than looking at names.
markeconrad
24-bit

Post by markeconrad »

Cool, well I'll get on it. If anyone has some tips/ideas, let me know.
Hatta
Next-Gen

Post by Hatta »

Does this work on XBMC4XBOX?
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
markeconrad
24-bit

Post by markeconrad »

I think I'll flesh out the guide within the emulation forums and then post a more complete guide in the Guides forum.

Quick short guide:

I will flesh out this barebones guide with more step by step, but this at least helps send the more technically inclined in the right direction!

Hatta wrote:Does this work on XBMC4XBOX?

I don't have an XBOX to test it on, but as long as the Advanced Launcher plugin will work in XBMC4XBOX, then you are good to go.
markeconrad
24-bit

Post by markeconrad »

Has anyone messed with this? Getting all that stuff set up made me want to get all my old games out, and now I've been messing with those, so I haven't done a more detailed guide.
gtmtnbiker
Next-Gen

Post by gtmtnbiker »

No, I haven't messed with it but I did bookmark it to do in the future. Thanks for putting the guide together and if you do a more detailed one, I know I'll appreciate it.

I haven't turned on my xbox in a few months (focusing on the DS & Wii lately).