Emu Talk Goes Here
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Re: Post your most enhanced emulation screenshots.

by Mozgus Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:11 pm

his_pomposity wrote:So I only just discovered the joys of custom shaders yesterday... I spent quite a bit of time on researching and playing around with various shaders and such. I used Suikoden II as a test subject for the time being because that's what I'm currently playing. Anyway, I've discovered that the 4xGLSLHqFilter gave the game a really nice, painterly look. The odd, jarring pixelated effect was gone as well. I thought it fit quite well into the game's overall feel and theme. My only issue with it is the blurriness, but I guess that's the trade-off for the time being.

Oh, and I used Mozgus' recommended setting for the video plug-in.

Anyway, is there some sort of a master list of recommended custom shaders for any PSX games on here?

Ugh, yeah I can't stand 2D filters on PS1 games. That just looks awful. Instead I prefer a simple 2x filter on these kinds of games. It can go by many names, but what I mean is the filter which resizes 2x in nearest neighbor mode, and then after that, it upscales to your display using bilinear or any other soft method. This lets the game retain the pixel-perfect look, without coming across as too jagged.

Looks like this:
Attachments
Castlevania - Aria of Sorrow.gif
Castlevania - Aria of Sorrow.gif (169.16 KiB) Viewed 2563 times
Probably not the Mozgus you remember. More understanding, more drunk, less irate, less informative.
grittykitty
forever 16-bit

by grittykitty Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:54 pm

i just got a new laptop two weeks ago (a macbook) and i've been using the windows portion to tinker with emulation unavailable on the mac side. i've always been behind technologically, so it's great that i found this topic as i feel it's still relevant today.

hopefully i'll be trying rival schools soon with various plugins and posting pretty screenshots (if anyone has any in the meantime, i'd love to see them!).

since this topic was started two years ago, i wonder if anyone knows of any new/improved plugins worth trying?
Let's TRADE! : check my BST thread
neilencio
64-bit

by neilencio Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:19 am

I got this on PCSX2. right side is using native internal resolution while the left side uses 1024 x 1024 internal res.

I've seen others with beefy rigs bump up the internal res to 2000 x 2000 with no slowdowns, and the results were amazing (although some games have glitches, particularly god of war and the naruto fighting games)
Visit my wife's blog: Pinay Geek
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

by GSZX1337 Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:38 am

...Holy shit. Looks like I'll be getting rid of my modded PS2 sooner than I thought. ;)
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
cyborc
32-bit

by cyborc Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:03 am

neilencio wrote:
I got this on PCSX2. right side is using native internal resolution while the left side uses 1024 x 1024 internal res.

I've seen others with beefy rigs bump up the internal res to 2000 x 2000 with no slowdowns, and the results were amazing (although some games have glitches, particularly god of war and the naruto fighting games)

that is..incredible
executioner
Next-Gen

by executioner Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:32 pm

The definition is awesome. Gonna try this!

What are your system specs?
Consoles: NES, Famicom, SNES, GC, GB DMG, GB Pocket, GBC, GBA, DSI XL, N64, VBoy, NDS, 3DSXL, Wii, SMS, GEN+CD+32X, GG, SAT, DC, WS, WS Color, NGPC, XBOX, 360, PS1, PSone, PS2, PSP, PS3, 3DO, CD-I, NGCD, Actionmax, TG16+CD, TE, PCE-DUO, Odyssey2, Playdia, 2600, Lynx & JAG.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:20 pm

Yeah I second the call on system specs. I may have to get a new GPU for this...
kinn
64-bit

by kinn Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:05 pm

fastbilly1 wrote:Yeah I second the call on system specs. I may have to get a new GPU for this...

Not too sure but I think its more important to have have a beefy CPU than a GPU for this emulator. Think there was a thread on Neogaf about it.
360 Gamer Tag = Kinn, PS3 Tag = xKINNx, Wii = 3036 8283 1247 3110
Overdosed on Gaming
neilencio
64-bit

by neilencio Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:00 am

Both cpu and gpu are important.

My specs right now are C2d e8400 (3 ghz), 4gb Ram @ win7 64 bit, and a geforce9500GT.

The bare minimum card you can play (according to discussions at their forums) at is an 8500 GT. Not going by model number, but by speed and features. Anything faster would be okay even if it's a 79xx, but something slower, like a 9400 would suck donkey arse. DX10 is required if you want glitch-free graphics on the supported games.

CPU is a little more forgiving, and based heavily on the game you will play. I've been able to play some games (particularly the naruto fighters, kingdom hearts, dbz budokai tenkaichi, and FF X) at fullspeed back when i was using an e5200 (2.5ghz), but had less luck with Tekken IV and dbz infinite world. With my e8400 I can run both, along with God of War (this one has random crashes due to emu bugs) and FF XII at fullspeed.

They've said an i7 @ 3+ ghz is enough to run all the games that the emu supports at fullspeed, except for the ones that are still slow because the emu is still imperfect (games would be slow even on 4ghz uber OCed machines). Compatibility is a bit complicated, since it's not 100% depending on your region. But all in all, compatibility with NTSC games is much better than PAL ones (there are times when an ntsc version of a game will be fully compatible but the PAL ver won't even load, or has graphics glitches/freezes)

Anyways, here's FF XII. Am only running this one on native res, since I can't achieve fullspeed when i double the internal res (it's one of the demanding games, even the prerendered cutscenes take a toll on a system)

Visit my wife's blog: Pinay Geek
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:09 pm

Thats right, PCSX2 works a hell of alot better on a 64bit os than a 32bit one. Brain fart. My Q6600 has been underproducing for too long.
Return to Emulation