GBA Flash Carts

Emu Talk Goes Here
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

GBA Flash Carts

Post by GSZX1337 »

Any recommendations? I think the X-ROM seems best. But, I don't know if it can play GB ROMS without the GB bridge and if it can work with the NDS (the Lite specifically.) http://easybuy2000.com/store/nintendo%20accessories/x-rom512.shtml
Thanks in advance to anyone who offers their help.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

The X-ROM isn't the best. Even at its release, there were better ones available. Not to say that the newer carts are better. Right around the time the EZ Flash 2 Powerstar came out, the GBA flash hardware had pretty much been perfected, and the carts that came out after that more or less just added unimportant features, as the compatibility was already fantastic.

But the best advice I can give, if you take a look at the carts that are available, and read all the reviews you can.

http://gbatemp.net/?dynamic=8#gba
http://www.gbaflashguide.com/main.php?p=reviews

Also, I don't think I've heard of any GBA flash carts supporting native GB or GBC ROMs. I believe your only options are using the GB bridge, which is hard to find, or using a GB or GBC emulator for GBA known as Goomba. It works fairly well.

And I don't have the chart on hand, but 95% of all flash carts work on DS just fine. But if you're going to be playing these on a DS, you might want a GBA flash cart which also supports DS ROMs using the passkey/slot-2 method, however its very outdated compared to the slot-1 methods they use now.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

How's this?
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/supercard-dslite ... review.php
It's 65 USD, and it comes with a Passcard. I might get it off of eBay if the price is right and the eBayer is a good one. If I can't find it any cheaper, I can justify the cost considering that the card doesn't stick out of my DS Lite. :D
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

Just buy whats right for you.
zarcon6
8-bit

Post by zarcon6 »

I like the supercard. only problem is some games have massive slowdown. if i were to buy get another flash card for the GBA i would go with a solid state one instead of a removable media one. but remember if your getting this for a GBA and not a DS then you don't want the Lite version, it wont fit into a GBA
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

zarcon6 wrote: remember if your getting this for a GBA and not a DS then you don't want the Lite version, it wont fit into a GBA

GSZX1337 wrote:But, I don't know if it can play GB ROMS without the GB bridge and if it can work with the NDS (the Lite specifically.)

:P
zarcon6
8-bit

Post by zarcon6 »

it cannot play original gameboy roms unless you use the emulator for GB (i think it was called goomba or something like that)
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

GSZX1337 wrote:But, I don't know if it can play GB ROMS without the GB bridge and if it can work with the NDS (the Lite specifically.)

Am I wrong in saying that a DS (lite or not) won't ever be able to play GB or GBC ROMs without an emulator?

As far as I remember, only GBAs have the necessary hardware for that backward compatibility.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Ivo, you are correct. GB and GBC hardware is only in the original GBA and GBA SP (1 & 2) models. No GB or GBC hardware in the GB Micro, GB Player, or DS.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

Ivo wrote:

Am I wrong in saying that a DS (lite or not) won't ever be able to play GB or GBC ROMs without an emulator?

As far as I remember, only GBAs have the necessary hardware for that backward compatibility.

Yes, it does need an emulator. I was using that quote because zarcon6 said I wou;d't be able to use the Supercard on a regular DS. I've done more looking and found another card. I'm sure that it's the one I'm going to get. Now I just need to sell my GBA Movie Player...