What Keeps Emulation From Being Authentic?

Emu Talk Goes Here
Perseid
32-bit

Post by Perseid »

A new one for me, particularly in WinUAE(Amiga emulator) and MAME is resolution matching. Getting your screen to the point where the image isn't in a tiny square on the screen and pixels aren't getting horribly stretched. It can be done with both emulators but getting it right is annoying.

For those who like emulators but don't want the fist-sized pixels emulating Pacman on a monitor, don't forget that most video cards now have TV out and it's usually pretty good. Sure, it means you need a TV near your computer, but that is the closest way you're going to get to the real experience. That and an army of controller adaptors.
Majors
128-bit

Post by Majors »

The only issue I have with EMU is the fact it's not in a cab. If the EMU works perfect (no slowdown, working sound, etc) and you have it hooked up to a TV instead of a PC monitor, it's perfect to me except the fact I'm not standing next to my competition, in an arcade, putting in tokens.

The only other bother with EMU is setting everything up, mapping the buttons, making sure the sound works, getting the correct video res and aspect, turning the TV sideways...on the cab, it's just power on and play.

There is the whole illegal-ness of it all, but there are worse things I have done.
Majors -=- Wedoca '22
baphomet_irl
128-bit

Post by baphomet_irl »

Someday I shall have a setup which enables me to have a screen sideways, lying down sideways looking at my TV gives me neck-ache, and vert on a monitor or TV is too small.

A wall mounted 50" on a pivot hehe - now that would be a nice game of Ikaruga :)
samratty
16-bit

Post by samratty »

control
tv
sound
comfort (probably my biggest gripe)
lordofduct
Next-Gen

Post by lordofduct »

samratty wrote:control
tv
sound
comfort (probably my biggest gripe)

Comfort is my main thing as well. I've always tried to find different ways to fix this, but alas, I get a PC out in the living room, or an Xbox and still it's just not right.

Controlling a PC from the couch to open an emulator and everything is just a freakin' pain in the put. It drives me mad. So I whip out the Xbox... alas most of the emulators made for it only support the Xbox controller. Now don't get me wrong, I like the controller for Xbox games, but when you want to play Sega Genesis games it just doesn't fit. The PC allows me to plug in my 'Joy Box', but nope, not the damn Xbox.

Maybe I should just swipe the source code for these stupid emulators on Xbox and add in USB controller support. heh.
www.lordofduct.com - check out my blog

Space Puppy Studios - games for gamers by gamers
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

The problem with that baphomet_irl is that most widescreen monitors are a pain to "tate" as the shmuppers say. Doesnt stop me from just setting the throw back a little bit more on the projector...
baphomet_irl
128-bit

Post by baphomet_irl »

i c

is it actually 'bad' for most CRT tv's to be rotated sideways - or should it be ok (if i can keep it balanced lol) ?
marurun

Post by marurun »

My understanding is that unless a CRT is designed to be pivoted or used on its side it can be bad. Now, LCDs are often very accommodating and there should be no problems there.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

You can throw everything outta wack if you put a crt on its side. Worst comes to worst you could throw the electron gun out of alignment. However if you do it in daily burst (say 8 hours), and always return it to an upright postition before you retire for the evening (sleep), well your tv from the trash will work for about nine years...

Or you could just get a cheap tv at a bargin store/big white box store, and leave it on its side. There is a parsians near me going out of buisness and I am going to try and score some 13 inch lcd tvs for this reason, well this and zelda fourswords/pacman vs.
The Apprentice
128-bit

Post by The Apprentice »

For me the experience is ruined by the feeling of "I can't ever find/afford tis game in real life yet I have it here." Even if the emulation is dead on it's obviously fake. And plus, wouldn't you rather pop Gunstar Heroes into your rev. 1 Genesis with a three button controller, than double click on gens on your dell 2.5G demension and load up a rom to play using the keyboard?
Hatta wrote:Die Hard Arcade has Deep Scan in it. That's like retro inside retro. They must have heard we liked retro (dawg).
Jrecee wrote:What I like to do is knit little sweaters to put on the games.