New Dreamcast Emulator for PC - nullDC

Emu Talk Goes Here
lordofduct
Next-Gen

Post by lordofduct »

I hope it does improve. I'd love to put together such a collection as well.
www.lordofduct.com - check out my blog

Space Puppy Studios - games for gamers by gamers
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Mozgus wrote:Just wanted to let you guys know about that thanks to nulldc's support for GDIs (Dreamcast gigabyte images), me and many others are busy ripping full GDIs from our GD-ROM discs. Eventually we're going to have an organized community with naming standards, and a huge database of torrents of all these releases. This is EXACTLY what I've mentioned needing before. I'm so happy to see this project taking off. I'm ripping GDIs of Shenmue 2 as we speak. This is a great way to preserve 100% full backups of classic dreamcast games. Many of these releases contain content which was removed or downsampled in pirated release, so I consider this project to be very important, and even moreso if nullDC continues to evolve and improve.

http://dumpcast.thekickback.com/

I'll be merely a contributor of GDIs.

Sweet!
You guys will have to put torrents on Underground Gamer as well.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

racketboy wrote:
Mozgus wrote:Just wanted to let you guys know about that thanks to nulldc's support for GDIs (Dreamcast gigabyte images), me and many others are busy ripping full GDIs from our GD-ROM discs. Eventually we're going to have an organized community with naming standards, and a huge database of torrents of all these releases. This is EXACTLY what I've mentioned needing before. I'm so happy to see this project taking off. I'm ripping GDIs of Shenmue 2 as we speak. This is a great way to preserve 100% full backups of classic dreamcast games. Many of these releases contain content which was removed or downsampled in pirated release, so I consider this project to be very important, and even moreso if nullDC continues to evolve and improve.

I'll be merely a contributor of GDIs.

Sweet!
You guys will have to put torrents on Underground Gamer as well.

Some people already have been but they refuse to use the same naming format, so now it's just going to complicate things.
Arm73

Post by Arm73 »

Hi, this is my first post on this forum, but I've been lurking for quite a while now, and I just love the spirit and enthusiasm of most members !

I was shocked when I saw nullDC in action, I didn't expect to run so well on my not-so-new anymore PC, and I was expecially thrilled by the fact that since my PC is hocked up to my lcd HDTV via an HDMI cable, now for the first time I'm able to run DC games in hi resolution on my TV, and I can also manually fix the aspect ratio, making the over all image really gorgeous, with little streching.

But the second big thing that I though of right away, was that *maybe* now, since nullDC runs so well off disc images, and since we are talking about an image that is going to stay on our hard drive, and we don't have to worry about that image to fit on a standard CD-ROM anyway......maybe we could come up wit a way to re-rip every DC games in raw format, with every bit of information preserved , so that every game stays true to his original form, without down sampled music or video.
I did a little research and I found out that this is nothing new, as other people have been tried this before, however it has already being pointed out that there isn't an official database as of yet.
I'm glad I came across this topic, and that other people are thinking exactly the same thing!
I never ripped a sega GD-ROM(there was no reason, as most games are online anyway), but I own quite a few, Japaneses and American releases only, as my DC was originally modded to play both type of games.
I really would like to get started and give my contribution, as of lately, I've only been downloading stuff from other people !
This is really exciting, it's like a second life for our beloved DC ...
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

Arm73 wrote:Hi, this is my first post on this forum, but I've been lurking for quite a while now, and I just love the spirit and enthusiasm of most members !

I was shocked when I saw nullDC in action, I didn't expect to run so well on my not-so-new anymore PC, and I was expecially thrilled by the fact that since my PC is hocked up to my lcd HDTV via an HDMI cable, now for the first time I'm able to run DC games in hi resolution on my TV, and I can also manually fix the aspect ratio, making the over all image really gorgeous, with little streching.

But the second big thing that I though of right away, was that *maybe* now, since nullDC runs so well off disc images, and since we are talking about an image that is going to stay on our hard drive, and we don't have to worry about that image to fit on a standard CD-ROM anyway......maybe we could come up wit a way to re-rip every DC games in raw format, with every bit of information preserved , so that every game stays true to his original form, without down sampled music or video.
I did a little research and I found out that this is nothing new, as other people have been tried this before, however it has already being pointed out that there isn't an official database as of yet.
I'm glad I came across this topic, and that other people are thinking exactly the same thing!
I never ripped a sega GD-ROM(there was no reason, as most games are online anyway), but I own quite a few, Japaneses and American releases only, as my DC was originally modded to play both type of games.
I really would like to get started and give my contribution, as of lately, I've only been downloading stuff from other people !
This is really exciting, it's like a second life for our beloved DC ...

Like I said, Dumpcast is exactly what you are wishing for, and I and many others will be part of it.

Our releases will most likely always be released here:
http://dctorrents.org/

Both sites are newborns, so give them time to mature.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

I was wrong about AA and AF. They can be forced. My system must have screwed up last time I tried to. Here's a shot from my own personal dump of Project Justice:

This is a must-download for anyone who doesn't own the legit copy. The music is full quality, unlike Echelon's rip, and this is one of the most compatible titles in NullDC. Runs full speed even on those settings, and only has a few minor graphical glitches. Fully playable. Download here:

http://dctorrents.org/details.php?id=16

All my forthcoming dumps will be released there. I setup an old compaq to be a dedicated seeding machine, so my releases will always be seeded when they need to be. I even setup another old compaq as a dedicated Win95 GR-ROM ripper. It's ganna be workin' hard for a few weeks, backing up the good points of my collection. :)

For those who don't know how to play GDI backups like this one, just extract the contents of the 7zip in the same folder, start NullDC, System>Start>load the GDI file.

Here's one from HeadHunter too. Again, full speed, minimal glitches.

Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

I decided to just release my GDI sets on UG as I finish each one. These things wont survive without exposure, and keeping them exclusive to a newborn torrent site was a bad idea. So keep your eyes over here for my releases:

http://underground-gamer.com/userdetail ... uploaded=1

I'll probably be putting out a new GDI every 2-3 days, unless things go wrong. Tennis 2K2 proves to be a title that cant be fully ripped on my serial cable. Ripping Maken X right now. The more GDIs we all release and share, the more activity that the NullDC community will see, and the more motivation the developers should have to make progress, one would think.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

wow -- this is looking incredible.
Can't wait until this has controller support and I can set it up on my HTPC :)
chautemoc

Post by chautemoc »

racketboy wrote:wow -- this is looking incredible.

Have you tried Xpadder? Its a great little app, I've used it will nulldc to get controller support. Some people seem to complain its not quite the real thing, but I havent been able to tell the difference, even with games where the nuances are required, like Soul Calibur. Just be sure to enable diagonals.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

chautemoc wrote:
racketboy wrote:wow -- this is looking incredible.

Have you tried Xpadder? Its a great little app, I've used it will nulldc to get controller support. Some people seem to complain its not quite the real thing, but I havent been able to tell the difference, even with games where the nuances are required, like Soul Calibur. Just be sure to enable diagonals.

Considering we have a small guide on Xpadder, I hope Racket has tried it :)