Xbox mod advice

Emu Talk Goes Here
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Jubal wrote:
racketboy wrote:So what I'm kinda thinking now is that I may just mod it and have most of my content on a server.
A stock 8-10GB drive might be OK with me for now. Sure it would be nice to backup all of my XBox games onto the harddrive, but I could just do my favorites of the moment on the HD and then have my emulators and video content on a server.

this might help out

http://www.seedwiki.com/wiki/xport_emul ... torial.cfm

-Jubal-

Nice link! Thanks!
Sienar

Post by Sienar »

I wouldn't go with the earlier xbox models, mainly the 1.0's because they are know to have problems with the DVD drive.

However, some one said 1.6's required soldering, however there are solderless options available(usually in the 20-30$ range)
Also, I would suggest the older xecuter X2, it's around 20 bucks and has the option for solderless on 1.6 and below. But it's really up to you, however don't buy spider chips under any circumstances.
ravenmgs
24-bit

Post by ravenmgs »

Buy a peice of shit Duo over soft modding. You can screw your xbox up to the point you will have to buy a mod chip while trying to soft mod, you can even kill hard drives.

I stand by xecuter 3 ce's, I actually have started modding systems as a side job where I work. I've had allot of people bring in soft modded systems they borked, systems they tried to solder chips like the Duo too ect.. lucky the xbox is a sturdy peice of equipment and easy to fix. There isn't much you can do if someone screws up a PS2 or Gamecube.

I have seen people burn up their power circut with a xecuter 3 ce so their not idiot proof, but if you read the directions it's the most powerfull and easiest chip to install.

p.s.

I've actually had to de solder and re-flash the eeprom for some soft mod jobs people have pulled when trying to upgrade their hard drive. This is one of the major reasons I stand by a xecuter 3 ce, no matter what happens with your xbox you will ALWAYSE have a ftp server ready to go on board.
rattboi
24-bit

Post by rattboi »

Excuse me? Are you saying you can't screw up a solder job?
ravenmgs
24-bit

Post by ravenmgs »

ravenmgs wrote:Buy a peice of shit Duo over soft modding. You can screw your xbox up to the point you will have to buy a mod chip while trying to soft mod, you can even kill hard drives.

I stand by xecuter 3 ce's, I actually have started modding systems as a side job where I work. I've had allot of people bring in soft modded systems they borked, systems they tried to solder chips like the Duo too ect.. lucky the xbox is a sturdy peice of equipment and easy to fix. There isn't much you can do if someone screws up a PS2 or Gamecube.

I have seen people burn up their power circut with a xecuter 3 ce so their not idiot proof, but if you read the directions it's the most powerfull and easiest chip to install.

p.s.

I've actually had to de solder and re-flash the eeprom for some soft mod jobs people have pulled when trying to upgrade their hard drive. This is one of the major reasons I stand by a xecuter 3 ce, no matter what happens with your xbox you will ALWAYSE have a ftp server ready to go on board.
rattboi
24-bit

Post by rattboi »

I guess it just depends on what your specialty is. I'm really a software guy, and I can't solder worth a damn, so softmod is the obvious choice for me, and the price is right too. In my case, a chipmod would fuck me, and softmod won't. I've never screwed a softmod, and I think people who do should have gotten someone to do it for them. Also, what you're saying about permanently screwing up their system w/ adding a new harddrive, doesn't make sense to me. Just don't modify your original harddrive, and you should be able to plug it in anytime.
ravenmgs
24-bit

Post by ravenmgs »

rattboi wrote:I guess it just depends on what your specialty is. I'm really a software guy, and I can't solder worth a damn, so softmod is the obvious choice for me, and the price is right too. In my case, a chipmod would fuck me, and softmod won't. I've never screwed a softmod, and I think people who do should have gotten someone to do it for them. Also, what you're saying about permanently screwing up their system w/ adding a new harddrive, doesn't make sense to me. Just don't modify your original harddrive, and you should be able to plug it in anytime.

If you know what your doing with software thats a differnt thing. An X3 CE really only requires 3 wires to solder and then it's just blue skys and sunshie, so I alwayse recommend it especally for someone who is new to modding things.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

rattboi wrote:AFAIK, the newest mods don't care what version you have, or which version of the dash you have. Basically, any model will work, in other words.

Depending on what softmod you use, it can be as simple or technical as you want. I haven't researched a simple softmod for larger harddrives yet, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.

The way I did it was probably the hardest way, and still, it only took a few hours for everything.

If you're not gonna swap harddrives right away, I'd say Krayzie's Savegame is the simplest *technically*, but you'll have to buy a few things. You'll need an xbox->usb adapter to plug in a USB device to the xbox, and a way to get the savegame onto the usb device too. The 2 standard ways to do that are either using a gameshark, or another modded xbox.

I might be able to pick some XBox-to-USB cables (and maybe resell them), is there any certain type that I need to look for?

Where are the instructions for this method?
Also, does it still require a hot-swap for the hard drive?
rattboi
24-bit

Post by rattboi »

No, it doesn't. You would still need to use Xbox HDM Linux to use a bigger harddrive, but you can get the EEPROM key that will allow you to unlock your harddrive with the initial softmod, so you won't need to hotswap.
ducktapevoodoo
16-bit

instructions from softmod installer deluxe

Post by ducktapevoodoo »

What does it include?
---------------------

+ Softmod Exploit Packages for 007 Agent Under Fire, MechAssault, and Splinter Cell.

+ bert-generic.xtf, ernie.xtf, s.xtf, s2.xtf, and s3.xtf hacked fonts.

+ Signed Phoenix BIOS Loader, with Dual Boot function.

+ Evox M8+ 1.6 BFM BIOS (with G Drive Support for HDD Upgrades).

+ Unleash 0.37.1218 Build 543 and Evolution X 1.8.3935 for Dashboards.

+ Dvd2Xbox 0.6.3 (to rip smaller games and Audio CDs to your HDD).

+ DVD-X v2 to watch DVDs, without the remote.

+ Backup / Recovery functions.

What does it do?
----------------

Softmod Installer Deluxe is similar to other various gamesave exploit installers such as
lTools, SIN, and WaffleTools. Once this gamesave is on your Xbox HDD and you have booted
your game of choice, you can softmod your Xbox. The installer will even make a backup of
your C Partition just in case it doesn't work, just in case.

It will install a Dashboard at C:\evoxdash.xbe (or E:\evoxdash.xbe if you prefer), Font
Exploits, DVD-X (for watching movies), and a BIOS Loader (PBL) to load the hacked bios.

This installer should work on ALL current Xboxes to this date.

What does Softmodding do? It allows you to run a Dashboard and play burned discs with an
Xbox that doesn't have a Modchip. It is the easiest and quickest ways to mod your Xbox,
wihout having to pull it apart. You can however go one step further and replace your stock
HDD and softmod, but as of yet I haven't done this.

What do I need?
---------------

+ This Softmod Installer (obviously).

+ Latest MS Dash (version 5960), just run a newish game with Xbox Live support (Burnont 3,
Need for Speed Underground 2, etc.) and this will update your MS dash to the latest one.
Alternitavely, you can extract it from Auto-Installer Deluxe v1.0 and higher. Extract
the Auto-Installer Deluxe ISO and go to Files\Dash. You'll see a ms-c.zip file here,
which contains the MS Dash 5960. Use either FTP or other means to transfer it over to
E:\Backup\MS\ once the Softmod has been installed. You can also just Format C, install
the new MS Dash, then re-apply the Softmod.

+ An Xbox Memory Card, Action Replay, Mega X-Key, or a compatible USB Memory Stick (you
will need a USB Adapter cable for this) to store the gamesaves so that you can load them
on to your unmodded Xbox.

+ An Original of either 007 Agent Under Fire, Mechassault, or Splinter Cell. Please note
that the Xbox Classics range WILL NOT work, it must be the older versions.

How do I do it? - 007 Agent Under Fire Install
----------------------------------------------

1. Copy the contents of SID.007.AUF.v2.0.Xbox-Hq to your memory device. The best ways are
to use a modded Xbox to do it (by unzipping the file and copying the contents to
E:\) and then transfering to your memory card, or use a Mega X-Key or
Action Replay to dump the ZIP files on to.

2. Make sure the gamesave is on your unmodded Xbox, then turn it off.

3. Insert 007 AUF and turn your Xbox on. When you're at the main menu of the game,
select "Load Mission" and then highlight "Xbox HDD". Tress A to boot the Installer.

4. Once the Installer has boot, I strongly suggest to make a backup of your C Drive.
Use the "Create C Backup" option to backup your C drive. To back up the Eeprom you'll
need to use the Evolution X dashboard, which you will have to install yourself after
the softmod is done. The Eeprom backup is stored at C:\Backup (this can't be changed
unfortunately) so please remember this.

5. Install the Softmod. Please note this deletes the MS Dash from C Drive, hence why you
have been told to use the backup feature.

6. Install what dashboard you wish to use. Unfortunately due to lack of space I can only
put Evolution X and UnleashX in this package, I hope that is good enough.

7. Shut down your Xbox, then restart it and remove the disc. If this has worked like it
should, you should see your choice of dashboard (either EvoX or UnleashX). Please note
if you boot your Xbox and leave the DVD Tray open it will take you back to the menu
where you installed your Softmod.

8. If you want to put the MS Dashboard back on your Xbox, you'll need to put MS Dash 5960
on your Xbox. The easiest way to do this (once the box is softmodded) is to use my
Auto-Installer Deluxe to delete the files from C Drive and install the latest MS Dash.
Note: when this is done you'll have to repeat steps 3 to 7.

9. Restart your Xbox with the DVD tray open to bring up the Softmod menu. Run the "Patch
MS 5960" now, and it will put the MS Dash back on C Drive, and patch it so your
Dashboards can now use it. Note, the MS Dashboard will be called msdash.xbe now, since
the Xbox still needs the hacked xboxdash.xbe in order to boot the softmod. Once you've
selected this option, it will run through some tasks, then boot PPF-XBOX to do the rest.
After PPF-XBOX has done it's work it will restart your Xbox.

10. Now is the time to make a backup of your modded C drive. This comes handy just in case
a game tries to update your dashboard. If this ever happens, just use the "Restore
Mod Backup". If you ever want to remove the Softmod (mainly for Xbox Live purposes)
you can restore your backup of C Drive by using the "Restore C Backup" option
in the Softmod menu.

How do I do it? - Mechassault Install
-------------------------------------

1. Copy the contents of SID.007.MechAssault.v2.0.Xbox-Hq to your memory device. The best
ways are to use a modded Xbox to do it (by unzipping the file and copying the contents
to E:\) and then transfering to your memory card, or use a Mega X-Key or

3. Insert MechAssault and turn your Xbox on. When you're at the main menu of the game,
select "Campaign" and then highlight "Run Linux". The information below should be
shown when highlighing this, if so press A to boot the Installer. If not, your version
of MechAssult is too new (the exploit was patched in later releases).

Controls: Normal
Difficulty: Regular
Current Level: Going Down Hard

4. Once the Installer has boot, I strongly suggest to make a backup of your C Drive.
Use the "Create C Backup" option to backup your C drive. To back up the Eeprom you'll
need to use the Evolution X dashboard, which you will have to install yourself after
the softmod is done. The Eeprom backup is stored at C:\Backup (this can't be changed

5. Install the Softmod. Please note this deletes the MS Dash from C Drive, hence why you

6. Install what dashboard you wish to use. Unfortunately due to lack of space I can only

7. Shut down your Xbox, then restart it and remove the disc. If this has worked like it
should, you should see your choice of dashboard (either EvoX or UnleashX). Please note
if you boot your Xbox and leave the DVD Tray open it will take you back to the menu

8. If you want to put the MS Dashboard back on your Xbox, you'll need to put MS Dash 5960
on your Xbox. The easiest way to do this (once the box is softmodded) is to use my
Auto-Installer Deluxe to delete the files from C Drive and install the latest MS Dash.

9. Restart your Xbox with the DVD tray open to bring up the Softmod menu. Run the "Patch
Dashboards can now use it. Note, the MS Dashboard will be called msdash.xbe now, since
the Xbox still needs the hacked xboxdash.xbe in order to boot the softmod. Once you've
selected this option, it will run through some tasks, then boot PPF-XBOX to do the rest.

10. Now is the time to make a backup of your modded C drive. This comes handy just in case
a game tries to update your dashboard. If this ever happens, just use the "Restore
Mod Backup". If you ever want to remove the Softmod (mainly for Xbox Live purposes)
in the Softmod menu.

How do I do it? - Splinter Cell Install
---------------------------------------

1. Copy the contents of SID.Splinter.Cell.v2.0.Xbox-Hq to your memory device. Also copy
Splinter.Cell.v2.0.NTSC.Xbox-Hq or Splinter.Cell.v2.0.PAL.Xbox-Hq as it's needed too.
The best ways are to use a modded Xbox to do it (by unzipping the file and copying the
contents to E:\) and then transfering to your memory card, or use a Mega X-Key or

3. Insert Splinter Cell and turn your Xbox on. When you're at the main menu of the game,
select "Load Game" and then highlight "Linux". Tress A to boot the Installer.

in the Softmod menu.

as you can see its painfully easy