Can a Dreamcast read DVD-R's?

Emu Talk Goes Here
All Hail The New Flesh
64-bit

Can a Dreamcast read DVD-R's?

Post by All Hail The New Flesh »

I was wondering that it can because some of my games (CVS2, Ikaruga just to name a few) are way too big to fit in my 80min CD-R's (so thats what Toast thinks).

So can a Dreamcast read DVD-R's?
rattboi
24-bit

Post by rattboi »

No, Never, nada. The laser used in DVD is a totally different wavelenghth than that used in CD/GD. The Dreamcast GDs are just CDs with a tighter spin in the disk. There's absolutely no way that it'd read a DVD. Sorry. Also, Toast must be lying because I specifically remember Ikaruga was like 20mb when I downloaded it.
baphomet_irl
128-bit

Re: Can a Dreamcast read DVD-R's?

Post by baphomet_irl »

All Hail The New Flesh wrote:I was wondering that it can because some of my games (CVS2, Ikaruga just to name a few) are way too big to fit in my 80min CD-R's (so thats what Toast thinks).

So can a Dreamcast read DVD-R's?

GD-ROm's are about 1.2 - 1.4 GB in size as a format I believe, so it does make sense that Toast might think theyre bigger, but yeh Ive never heard of a DC reading DVD-R's

hell it took a good while for even most DVD players to read DVD-R's...
All Hail The New Flesh
64-bit

Post by All Hail The New Flesh »

I find so f'ed up that it won't fit 77:42:05 of CVS2 in a 80:00:00 disk!

Hell its only 685.1 MB, that barely touched 700 MB!
rattboi
24-bit

Post by rattboi »

What format are the images in? You might have better luck with NOT toast. I haven't done any DC burning on my Mac yet, but I have a script for burning Saturn games from command line, and it patches them with the right country code and everything. Perhaps there's a solution like that for you...
grittykitty
forever 16-bit

Post by grittykitty »

fleshman, i assume you're using the isofix method (and burning fixed.iso and header.iso), am i right? i've had success with toast 6 by burning the audio file as a session and then burning the untouched disc image (both after using cdirip) as a close session, so try that. for some reason that never worked for me in the past, but it does now. so back then i always used isofix, which wouldn't allow me to burn some of the larger games (first session was too big and wouldn't allow a second session).
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

...There are no DC games availiable online for download which do NOT fit on an 80min CD-R. You're doing something wrong. Every single ripper group made sure to shrink the games when it was needed, to fit them on a CD-R. And the games you mentioned didn't even require content to be removed to shrunk in order to fit.
metaleggman
128-bit

Post by metaleggman »

Actually GD-roms allow for up to 1.2gb of data, yet teh GD-ROMs are read differently than CDs. GD drives use Constant angular velocity, while conventional CD drives use Constant linear velocity.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GD-ROM
While it is "possible" (but in no sense likely) to make use of a DVD drive inside the dreamcast to read dvd-rs, it's just not very likely. Most likely it would be easier to track down some 99 minute discs to play un hacked copies of games. :lol:
But it does definately seem like you are doing it wrong...
Pullmyfinger
Next-Gen

Post by Pullmyfinger »

Maybe your burner doesn't support overburn
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

Pullmyfinger wrote:Maybe your burner doesn't support overburn

Wouldn't make a difference except for the one or two games which were ripped at such a size where only a fraction of a second was left on the 80min format. I think a couple of the Shenmue 2 discs were like this.