Is there anything to improve on NesterDC?

Emu Talk Goes Here
racketboy
Site Admin

Is there anything to improve on NesterDC?

Post by racketboy »

I love the emulator to pieces:
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2006/12/ ... ms-on.html

Does anybody have any constructive criticism on the project, or is it pretty much set?
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

Remember, NesterDCSE has more than screenshots. Each game can have the cover art, cart scan, title screen, gameplay screen, full manual, full soundtrack (with stereo seperation), as well as all the other regular features in the old version. And all this content is automatically downloaded during the creation of the disc image.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Mozgus wrote:Remember, NesterDCSE has more than screenshots. Each game can have the cover art, cart scan, title screen, gameplay screen, full manual, full soundtrack (with stereo seperation), as well as all the other regular features in the old version. And all this content is automatically downloaded during the creation of the disc image.

All of which slows down the navigation, IMO :)
If they can make it instantaneous when browsing, I would like it more.

Also, last time I used SE, the game switching method didn't work for me...
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

racketboy wrote:All of which slows down the navigation, IMO :)

It's hard for the DC to load those high quality pics consecutively off a disc...

Game switching? Works for me dude.

All I know is I've presented the old NesterDC and the new SE to half a dozen casual gamers so far. SE is the one they were blown away by. They know that a boring text list of games makes it very hard to scope out interesting titles to try. You need visual representation to catch your interest. The little stutters in the game chooser is a very small price to pay, and it never affects gameplay.

Also, I think SE is drastically better suited for an article that starts off by mentioning the Wii VC, since SE actually has a slick, easy to use GUI, like the Wii VC. Regular NesterDC has much less in common with it.
retrogamer

Post by retrogamer »

The only thing I would have liked would have been the FAQ feature to have been implemented since Paul had originally planned on doing so in the early stages of development. It is where you could save walkthoughs, maps, etc for each game and have it accessable right from the disc. I had also discussed the possibility of being able to access Gamefaqs.com using to dial up modem adapter on the Dreamcast to browse Faq's while in game using a submenu system while the game was paused. The programming end of it was doable and it would have been the perfect workaround to the legal ramifications of putting copyrighted faqs on the disc since most of the original authors who submitted them could no longer be reached to grant the necessary permissions.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Mozgus wrote:
racketboy wrote:All of which slows down the navigation, IMO :)

It's hard for the DC to load those high quality pics consecutively off a disc...

Game switching? Works for me dude.

All I know is I've presented the old NesterDC and the new SE to half a dozen casual gamers so far. SE is the one they were blown away by. They know that a boring text list of games makes it very hard to scope out interesting titles to try. You need visual representation to catch your interest. The little stutters in the game chooser is a very small price to pay, and it never affects gameplay.

Also, I think SE is drastically better suited for an article that starts off by mentioning the Wii VC, since SE actually has a slick, easy to use GUI, like the Wii VC. Regular NesterDC has much less in common with it.

You have some good points there.
I was toying around with making a video demonstration of the emulators.

I only have my the recording capabilities on my digital camera, but maybe I'll see how it turns out...
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

retrogamer wrote:The only thing I would have liked would have been the FAQ feature to have been implemented since Paul had originally planned on doing so in the early stages of development. It is where you could save walkthoughs, maps, etc for each game and have it accessable right from the disc. I had also discussed the possibility of being able to access Gamefaqs.com using to dial up modem adapter on the Dreamcast to browse Faq's while in game using a submenu system while the game was paused. The programming end of it was doable and it would have been the perfect workaround to the legal ramifications of putting copyrighted faqs on the disc since most of the original authors who submitted them could no longer be reached to grant the necessary permissions.

That's a pretty interesting concept as well.
While I used to be able to dial in with my Dreamcast, I no longer pay for a land line, let alone a dialup ISP.

However, considering we're talking about playing game ROMs, I don't think the FAQs are the biggest legal concern you should have ;)
Liam
8-bit

Post by Liam »

Low resolution output - 320x240.
retrogamer

Post by retrogamer »

racketboy wrote:
retrogamer wrote:The only thing I would have liked would have been the FAQ feature to have been implemented since Paul had originally planned on doing so in the early stages of development. It is where you could save walkthoughs, maps, etc for each game and have it accessable right from the disc. I had also discussed the possibility of being able to access Gamefaqs.com using to dial up modem adapter on the Dreamcast to browse Faq's while in game using a submenu system while the game was paused. The programming end of it was doable and it would have been the perfect workaround to the legal ramifications of putting copyrighted faqs on the disc since most of the original authors who submitted them could no longer be reached to grant the necessary permissions.

That's a pretty interesting concept as well.
While I used to be able to dial in with my Dreamcast, I no longer pay for a land line, let alone a dialup ISP.

However, considering we're talking about playing game ROMs, I don't think the FAQs are the biggest legal concern you should have ;)

Very true. Believe it or not he got more grief from the people who posted the faq's threating to sue or want money for the use of their faqs so he just scrapped the whole idea. Funny thing is most of the people who submitted the faqs in the first place were not the original authors and copied them off of someone else trying to claim is as their own work. Plus the roms are not included with the emulator since the end user has to supply them so it did not pose any legal problem for the creator of NesterDC SE.
Zalphier
24-bit

Post by Zalphier »

I've been using NesterDC for quite a while. It's one of the most complete emulators out there. 100% speed and sound, graphics are perfect. It's my favorite emulator. SE looks very nice, I'll give it a shot.