Nintendo Wii emulation truly accurate?

Emu Talk Goes Here
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Nintendo Wii emulation truly accurate?

Post by Mozgus »

Do we have any Wii owners here at all? If we do, are any of you as nit-picky as I am when it comes to emulation accuracy?

I'd really like some truth on the matter. I was watching some footage of Sonic 1 on Wii, and quite a few of the sound effects are so far off pitch that it makes my ears want to bleed. It's not nearly as bad as Sonic Jam for the Saturn, but it's quite similar to the problems that Sonic Mega Collection had on PS2. You can definitely hear the bad sound effects when Sonic rolls into a ball while running, and when he passes the stage sign at the end. It's crap. Also, what the hell is with that static that keeps popping in and out? Is that supposed to be water flowing? I don't remember it sounding so terrible on the Genesis.

How does a game reviewer not notice these things, unless he was never even into games back when the Genesis was tops? I'm getting very annoyed when people don't mention this stuff. In fact, he even says "This is a spot-on, no-frills emulation of Sonic the Hedgehog." Do I really need to record a clip of the game running on a FAN-MADE emulator, just to show people what it should sound like? I understand that Genesis' sound chip was never an easy one to imitate, but if the fans can do it, a developer should be able to, no sweat. I dunno, I just think if I am to pay for a rom, then it needs to be perfect.

Does anyone have any links to more Nintendo Wii, direct-feed quality, emulation footage? I'm hoping that Genesis is the only one with these small issues.
Lan-Di
24-bit

Post by Lan-Di »

He he, sounds like that Sonic is being played on the discontinued, Megasis emulator..... :roll:
metaleggman
128-bit

Post by metaleggman »

Well, it could be an isolated incident. I don't remember anything weird on the GCN version. Then again I don't own the original on megadrive.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

Well look at this. Screw Attack just pointed out a huge flaw in the NES games for Wii.
http://www.screwattack.com/Flash%20HTML ... ough3.html

Gamespot doesn't even bother to mention the brightness issue in their NES reviews, even though you can easily notice it in all of their screenshots.
http://www.gamespot.com/wii/adventure/l ... id=6162256
http://www.gamespot.com/wii/puzzle/pinb ... id=6162421
http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/mari ... id=6162249

How do these people qualify for these jobs?
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Wow -- that's disturbing...
I'd love to see what else you dig up.

Even thought I've had like 3 or 4 Wii posts in the last week or so, I might need to make a dedicated one just for this topic.
Lan-Di
24-bit

Post by Lan-Di »

The brightness sound and other issues are expected (but not when Nintendo wants you to pay 5 buck per NES ROM with no enhancements whatsoever, can you tell that I'm irritated by this), it is a emulator after all so, it's an easy fix! :wink:
metaleggman
128-bit

Post by metaleggman »

Lan-Di wrote:The brightness sound and other issues are expected (but not when Nintendo wants you to pay 5 buck per NES ROM with no enhancements whatsoever, can you tell that I'm irritated by this), it is a emulator after all so, it's an easy fix! :wink:
eh, its a over 20 year old system, with extremely technically limited games. Most of em use Mapper 0.
Zalphier
24-bit

Post by Zalphier »

So, tell me again why I should buy nes roms for 5$ to play on the wii's half assed emulation, when I could play for free, with something like, I dunno, on nester, for my pc, DC(w3wt) or some other format that is clearly better than this?
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

Zalphier wrote:So, tell me again why I should buy nes roms for 5$ to play on the wii's half assed emulation, when I could play for free, with something like, I dunno, on nester, for my pc, DC(w3wt) or some other format that is clearly better than this?

To be a legal upstanding citizen :D
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

Oopsie. Looks like Mario 64 is dark as well.

And wasn't the chain chomp's mouth red, rather than purple? Why yes it was. What is going on here...?