Chrono Trigger romhack goes the way of Chrono Resurrection

Emu Talk Goes Here
HappehLemons
32-bit

Re: Chrono Trigger romhack goes the way of Chrono Resurrection

Post by HappehLemons »

If square goes as far as to tell these people to stop work or they will take legal action who's to say that if they didn't say a peep until the actual games was ready that square wouldn't sue them? Although I would love to see a lot of these projects finished I think that it was better ended that way, I'd hate to see someones hard work finally come out but for them to be in legal problems with square..
Inazuma
Next-Gen

Re: Chrono Trigger romhack goes the way of Chrono Resurrection

Post by Inazuma »

Not only should these people wait until the game is 100% finished before releasing any info on it, but when they finally do release it, they should do it anonymously. That way there is no way to stop the game, or get the creators in trouble. I hope they learned their lesson at least.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Re: Chrono Trigger romhack goes the way of Chrono Resurrecti

Post by Ivo »

What a depressing end to the thread! I should bump it on a lighter note.

I just finished playing through a version of this romhack that leaked despite the C&D (this is old news). See here:
viewtopic.php?p=369408#p369408

It really is very high quality for something fan made. I believe the version I played was not the final version they worked on (apparently I had a green Omnishield, and the last "98%" version should be yellow, but who knows for sure).

There certainly were some balance issues but even though it was much harder than CT I got by pretty decently without grinding for most of the game (exceptions at the very start and near the end). I imagine the team would have ironed those out with more time, but I felt it was very much worth playing anyway.

The story is surprisingly good, particularly given that they made it fit in between CT and CC (all the time travel non-sense should be excused, it is not like professional works of fiction like Back to the Future or Terminator managed to be consistent either - of the stuff I've seen I think only the cartoon Gargoyles managed doing that).

So any CT fans, I recommend trying this out. In response to my own question in the other thread, I think it is better to have played Chrono Cross before playing Crimson Echoes (this is why it took me a while to do so, I played Cross first and I think it was better).

Ivo.
Raz1r
24-bit

Post by Raz1r »

Squenix is filled with old thinking. They mindlessly rerelease/remake games from their golden age (read:PS1) because they can't create anything new that's decent. And then they fuck up the direct sequels to their existing IPs.

Take FFX-2 for example. FFX was a game that I sunk 300 hours into, easily. Between the sidequests, the interesting story (SIN was one of the best villains ever) and Spira it was a decent continuance of the FF lineage. Then the merger goes through and FFX-2 gets shit out of their dev area without a second thought. To this day I refuse to see FFX-2 as nothing but a lame cash-in.

The same kind of happened with Chrono Cross albeit in a different way as the games aren't a linear sequel/prequel and their was no merger in sight. Oh, and CC wasn't a piece of shit, that usually helps too.

If they were smart they would hire these guys, finish the game and release it on WiiWare a la' FF4:The After Years. The major advantage of the Cx series is that they could say it all happened in a "Parallel Universe" and people would still buy it and like it if it was decent. I think some of it comes from the fact that SE knows they haven't produced an awesome game since the PS1 days and are angry that a bunch of fans built a better game over the course of a few years in their damn basements.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Didn't Crimson Echoes evolve into Flames of Eternity? I have that, plus another ROM hack called Prophet's Guile. Both are quality games.