Best inexpensive handheld emulator (that isnt a PSP)?

Emu Talk Goes Here
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Re: Best inexpensive handheld emulator (that isnt a PSP)?

Post by KalessinDB »

I have an old GP2x that I bought before PSPs were around to use for NES/SNES/Genesis and it works as well as any emulator works imo. Not sure on GBA, I never tried using it for that. I'd let it go cheap, but yeah with PSPs being $50 you might as well find one locally, since I'd have to ship it to you...
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

+1 for the Dingoo a320
It's screen and battery life are good, and it's very capable. The screen resolution is just right for most systems and if you want to upgrade it's abilities you can install dingux.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Nyukki
128-bit

Post by Nyukki »

^ True dat! These days even the native firmware can handle pretty much everything 8-16 bit flawlessly.
Weekend shmupper
Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

I'm thinking of purging some of my collection to make more space but to also make gaming a little more accessible. I have a PSP 1000, and think I'm going to condense a lot of my Master System Collection onto a PSP, and grab a lot of GBA, SNES, and Genesis games that I simply want to play but don't have the space to have physical copies. I'm getting the sense from this thread and others that the PSP is best for this?
Nyukki
128-bit

Post by Nyukki »

Probably. Though I've been looking in to something called the JXD 7800B. It's Android based and supposedly also emulates PSP, but I rarely play PSP games and am mainly after it for older systems. More info here.
It has a 7" screen! In my opinion a little too big to really be a portable, this will be my gaming-on-the-couch-when-the-wife-is-watching-something-I-don't-want-to-watch device and my Dingoo is my gaming-on-the-go thingy.
Weekend shmupper
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Nyukki wrote:I have a Dingoo A320, so I've always had an eye on the GCW Zero. Looks awesome and is genuinely retro oriented with its 4:3 display. The Dingoo has been fun for hacking about with as you can put all sorts of things on it. Plus, the community at dongoonity.org, where I'm guessing most of the GCW devs hang out as well, is really friendly.

I miss my Dingoo. :(
Dropped it on the carpet one day and somehow damaged the screen. Opened it up to see how hard it would be to replace and damaged a chip leg that cannot be resoldered.
I should stay away from opening small things.

It was pretty decent but there are better IMO for emulation. I actually liked it better for a few SNES games, with the Fast (less compatible) PocketSNES. But SNES emulation is often going to disappoint.
Also, CPS2 emulation was pretty limited.

As for the PSP D-pad, I really like the PSP-2000/3000 control. The D-pad on the original (PSP-1000) is a little too shallow and just doesn't feel as good. We are talking about maybe a millimeter difference, but it does the trick.
...just another lost soul...
Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

I updated my firmware to 6.60 and grabbed the custom firmware. Threw a nice SNES, Game Boy, Genesis, and SMS emulator. It's going to be pretty exciting, now I just need to sift through some rom sites without copious amounts of malware infecting my system.
raygank
8-bit

Post by raygank »

I have a GCW Zero and I'm friendly with the developers and owner since I produced their Kickstarter video. I also absolutely love the thing. If $150 is within your budget and you mainly want to emulate things from the 16-bit era and earlier it's absolutely what I'd recommend.

I'd be happy to answer any questions about it. I'm currently playing through Earthbound for the first time on my Zero, and I also play a lot of PC Engine and Game Boy Advance games on it, but I've experimented with nearly all the emulators and games available for it.
fuctfuct
Next-Gen

Post by fuctfuct »

Can you even buy a new dingoo a380 anymore?

As for the GCW Zero. I wish there was a youtube vid that was current for the GCW Zero. The console looks so awesome but all the vids are fairly old and show emulators running fairly poorly at times. Every time i get excited about buying one i look for vids and see it running NTFS games at like 50-55fps and not full screen.

How is the d-pad? Are the newer units still having friction problems?

Does yours have light leakage like i see in some vids?

Is NES full speed/screen? Does it have over scan options so you don't have to see any garbage. Like in SMB 3 for example.

Is SNES full speed/screen? What about games like Yoshis Island? A lot of the vids show SNES in a little square. Is pocketSNES the only option?

Genesis.. run full speed full screen? Sega CD?

FBA looks like its doing well.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfpAiKnHSOo

GB/GBC?

Hows GBA? I like the skin ReGBA has so that it is in the correct aspect ratio. Can you run it without that skin but not full screen. In the correct aspect ratio? Does it run full speed? I actually play VBA-M on my PC a lot. The last time i used a different emulator was on the OXbox. Everyone says its "perfect" (just like they say it is on the PSP) but i can see a slight difference. It's quite annoying hehe
Last edited by fuctfuct on Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

nightrnr wrote:
Nyukki wrote:I have a Dingoo A320, so I've always had an eye on the GCW Zero. Looks awesome and is genuinely retro oriented with its 4:3 display. The Dingoo has been fun for hacking about with as you can put all sorts of things on it. Plus, the community at dongoonity.org, where I'm guessing most of the GCW devs hang out as well, is really friendly.

I miss my Dingoo. :(
Dropped it on the carpet one day and somehow damaged the screen. Opened it up to see how hard it would be to replace and damaged a chip leg that cannot be resoldered.
I should stay away from opening small things.

It was pretty decent but there are better IMO for emulation. I actually liked it better for a few SNES games, with the Fast (less compatible) PocketSNES. But SNES emulation is often going to disappoint.
Also, CPS2 emulation was pretty limited.

As for the PSP D-pad, I really like the PSP-2000/3000 control. The D-pad on the original (PSP-1000) is a little too shallow and just doesn't feel as good. We are talking about maybe a millimeter difference, but it does the trick.

Yeah the dpad on the psp 1000 is to shallow and a dam bastard to pull off special moves on fighting games, but did the mod to move it up some and was better. Anyway another vote for the psp for emulaltion.