Emu Talk Goes Here
SuperDerpBro
64-bit

MiSTer FPGA?

by SuperDerpBro Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:07 am

I've been mulling over buying an AVS, Super NT and now a Mega SG for like.. ever. Recently I found out about the MiSTer project. Seems pretty danged cool. Anyone here tried it out?
But enough talk! Have at you!
bmoc
Next-Gen

Re: MiSTer FPGA?

by bmoc Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:08 am

I haven't tried it out myself but I have watched a few youtube videos about it over the past few months. It is pretty neat but at this point it is more work than I am willing to put into it. I definitely see it gaining in popularity as its FPGA cores improve and kits become more readily available. Maybe when the NeoGeo core is released and stable, I'll give it another look.
SuperDerpBro
64-bit

by SuperDerpBro Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:42 pm

Dang. I was hoping they were using the same cores :/
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:32 am

Sorry for my late reply.

I'd recommend watching the GameSack video on it. Joe does a solid job of explaining their ecosystem. Awesome, in depth video as always from him.
https://youtu.be/dibLXWdX5-M

Also, here's the RB article on it:
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/mister-f ... eservation
SuperDerpBro
64-bit

by SuperDerpBro Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:21 pm

Yea, i saw those after i posted. Doesn't seem ready to me. I bought a cheap (220 CAD) micro PC with a i3-8100T to run RetroArch on instead (for now). :mrgreen:
Shogun
32-bit

by Shogun Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:49 pm

I got one a while back. Just with the de10-nano you can do genesis and tg-16 emulation among a number of other systems. I ordered the SDRAM off someone on ebay and can do everything else now. I have to say I am really impressed! The development on this thing hasn't been that long and the number of people programming for it is pretty small. There is really good documentation to get you going but the more advanced stuff is a bit lacking. I really like the filters & scanlines and am trying to figure out how to tweak them. I bought the de10-nano, a $6 usb hub, and the SDRAM. I think in total it came out to around $170. I've got the video card add-on to hook it up to my crt on order from mister-addons but still waiting to ship. I also had no problem hooking up both a wireless keyboard and wireless controller to that same $6 usb hub. Only thing I am sorely needing is save states. I am too shoddy to be any good at many of these games! :lol:
marurun

by marurun Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:29 pm

I think once someone offers an affordable, easy-to-construct or pre-made kit, that's when it will really take off.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
SuperDerpBro
64-bit

by SuperDerpBro Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:19 pm

^probably.

I think i made the right choice (for me) though. i'm in love with RetroArch's excellent CRT shaders, RetroAchievements and less than OG hardware/CRT input lag. I can't think of anything better for Atari to PS1.
Return to Emulation